Loaded rifle in vehicle on WMA

rosewood

Guns no good if it ain't loaded
Apparently depending on what type, it is still "scary" to many Demonrats, so there is that.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I witnessed a friend get a hefty fine for propping his loaded rifle against the tire of his four wheeler on crown land in Canada. Ticket said, “Loaded firearm inside motor vehicle.”

Rich M

In SC on WMA it's loaded if there's any in the magazine and of course the chamber.

I had made a bunch of assumptions and am not gonna get a ticket due to old habits - we always had to fully unload our rifles - mags and chamber before we even leaned em up against the vehicle - someone we knew got a ticket for that. So, unloaded was always no bullets in the gun mag or chamber.

IMO - safe unloaded is without a bullet in the chamber.

rosewood

I witnessed a friend get a hefty fine for propping his loaded rifle against the tire of his four wheeler on crown land in Canada. Ticket said, “Loaded firearm inside motor vehicle.”
I bet they could have taken that to court and gotten it thrown out, unless there was something specifically that addressed that particular situation in the laws.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Unless you had a carry license, now they have changed it to only a pistol. I used to never unload my rifle within the 50 yds of the road, etc. And never had a problem because I had a carry permit.

I think I learned that rule as a young man, before I could get a carry license, and the rule has always been in my mind. I even unload my shotgun before crossing the road on foot.

rosewood

I think the law about unloading your long gun on the WMA is to keep folks from riding around with their rifle in the seat next to them ready to shoot a critter out the window. Something tells me if you have it loaded in a case, behind the seat or otherwise out of site, you are not going to have a problem. I seriously doubt the DNR will ask to see your gun to inspect it if it is out of sight. Now, if it is in the seat next to you, that is almost "probable" cause to inspect it.

All that being said, I have a retired LEO friend who did a stint as a game warden. He quit that job and went back to Police because he didn't like their practices. Said they would write tickets for things that wasn't even illegal, just because they had been doing it for years. Folks never challenged it. He would give warnings for minor first time infractions and his boss would get mad that he wasn't writing more tickets. Said they were just plain overstepping their bounds and not being moral. This was years ago, so not sure how the current crop of DNR officers are.

Rosewood

rosewood

I think I learned that rule as a young man, before I could get a carry license, and the rule has always been in my mind. I even unload my shotgun before crossing the road on foot.
That sounds like a lot of trouble. So if you are crossing the road, you stop, unload, then cross the road then reload the gun? I am pretty sure there is no law that says you have to unload a gun to cross a road. And I can imagine the thoughts of a vehicle passing by seeing you loading your gun on the side of the road.

Rosewood

rosewood

Funny thing is, if you have say a .300 BLK AR pistol, you can leave it loaded in the seat next to you with a "Brace" on it. It is a pistol after all by batf definition.

Rosewood

Hillbilly stalker

That sounds like a lot of trouble. So if you are crossing the road, you stop, unload, then cross the road then reload the gun? I am pretty sure there is no law that says you have to unload a gun to cross a road. And I can imagine the thoughts of a vehicle passing by seeing you loading your gun on the side of the road.

Rosewood
That’s the law on WMA in South Carolina also. Whether the GW decides to enforce it is up to him. We have a law against shooting ACROSS a rode open to traffic also. It’s just too hard to catch someone in the act. Your most likely to get fined for walking down the road ( read quiet walking) with a loaded gun.

280 Man

Banned
I had made a bunch of assumptions and am not gonna get a ticket due to old habits - we always had to fully unload our rifles - mags and chamber before we even leaned em up against the vehicle - someone we knew got a ticket for that. So, unloaded was always no bullets in the gun mag or chamber.

IMO - safe unloaded is without a bullet in the chamber.

I understand what you are saying but unfortunately our opinions don't mean a hill of beans when it come to the law meaning because when the LEO writes the ticket for rules or supposed violation it'll cost real money to prove otherwise!

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro

Rosewood
This is wrong. You must unload your rifle before you get to the road. 50 yds. Stupid but it is the law

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro

Rosewood
right in the middle
Screenshot_20210204-074527.png

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I could be wrong, but I believe the law on a WMA states no loaded rifles within 50 yds of a road period. You can have a loaded pistol with a CCW, but not a rifle. At least that's the way I have interpreted the law.

That means if you park on the side of the road, you don't load your rifle until you have walked 50 yds in, and in reverse order coming back out. If you cross another road, same applies.
See post 72

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In SC on WMA it's loaded if there's any in the magazine and of course the chamber.
And it has to be in a case while being transported.
In NC, you can ride all up and down the road on a WMA with a loaded gun, and stand in the middle of the WMA road and shoot at stuff, unless there is a county ordinance against it.

Dub

I know a pile of folks that carry loaded rifles as "truck guns" while driving the roads in Georgia.

Not for hunting, per se.....but loaded nonetheless.

I guess from the WMA rules & regs that have been posted here we are to understand that a loaded truck gun can't be a rifle/shotgun....but if one has a Georgia Weapons Carry License they can have a loaded handgun on their person while on WMA ?? :huh:

I'm guessing the intent is to prevent someone from taking road shots at game with their long guns....yet still afford someone the ability to carry for their self-defense.

I suppose if one doesn't approve of the WMA rules & regs....then private hunting clubs without such restrictions, a lease or land purchase are their options.

When talking to fellow hunters at work the subject of WMA hunting comes up from time to time.

Reasons for not hunting them get kicked around:

*Some say it's too far of a drive.

*I suspect the long walks may also have something to do with it, too.

*One reason that comes up often is hunter safety....quickly followed by encounters with rude/aggressive/accusing game wardens.

I can attest that I've experienced all of the above concerns. I've also had interactions with game wardens that began with them being rude....but ended with them being pleasant and even them sharing where they are seeing deer sign and sightings. Imagine that....semi-guided hunt service. :rofl:

WMA land is a wonderful resource....available to us all. There are hoops that must be jumped through in order to access that resource. Only you can determine if it's worth it to you or not.

Ouch.

That's some overreach for ya......reached right on deep into his wallet.

I can't count the times I've been on my 4-wheeler with a loaded shotgun or rifle in the handlebar fork holders.....nothing chambered....but loaded nonetheless.

Glad Canadian rules didn't apply on my rides to the stand. :rofl:

Dbender

I hunt wma's a bunch, day and night. I've never encountered a rude, harassing game warden. I have even gotten several tickets in the past.
Why not learn the rules instead of researching laws to argue their validity? The rules are clearly stated. It's a pretty simple concept, follow the rules and no ticket. Wma rules are in place for safety, not to generate revenue.
Most inexperienced first time hunter/gun owners get their feet wet on wma's. Little scary if you think of all the possible problems that could arise.

rosewood

Does "road" refer to any path on a WMA or just DOT or county roads that pass through or by?

Rosewood

Nimrod71

The rule No Loaded Gun is for your and my safety to help prevent being shot by someone riding the road. I walked across a road early one morning and I heard a rifle fire and the bullet whizzed by me. I had parked my truck off the road in a parking area, I got back in my truck and headed to where the shot came from. I found a young man standing outside of his truck. He ask if I saw a deer he shot in the road. Yes, before you ask, I was wearing my Orange Vest. Let me say there was a sharp exchange of words. The young man apologized. He was really upset when he realized he had almost killed a man. He didn't have a scope on the rifle and he was so far away he could not see the orange from the side. We were both lucky.

You and I may be safe with our rifles, but there are people out there that aren't and they will kill you by accident.

Anything, lawyers write these rules and laws, how do they make there living, by going to court. You may be right about having loaded long guns in vehicles, but if you get a ticket and go to court and fight it, you will need a lawyer, take time off from work, and even if you get the ticket thrown out and you win your case, you will still have to pay the lawyer. The judge will not make DNR pay your lawyer. Paying the fine would be cheaper.

Really, its not a bad rule. It does help keep use safe.

Latest posts