Log Homes

3ringer

I am thinking about purchasing a log home in the future. Has anybody had any experience with log homes ? Any companies to look at or stay away from? I would like to know the good or bad about log homes. Thanks, Chuck

Arrow Flinger

I have lived in a log home for 8 years and love mine. It was 10 years old when I bought it. Logs homes are either something that people love or hate. I am sure the newer homes are much better now but mine is real drafty. It is hard and expensive to heat and cool and all kinds of bugs love it. 8 inches of solid wood does not make for good insulation either. The logs heat up in the summer and the heat radiates into the house and takes a while to cool down in the evening. The same for cold in the winter. Mine has no attic and therefore no dead air space. Make sure you put a roof system in with some kind of dead air space. I did it with a metal roof over 2 x 4 furring and it really helped. Now, I am not trying to be negative about log homes but was just trying to tell you both sides. Like I said, I love mine and wouldn't trade it for a traditional house for nothing. Would I build or buy another one? In a heart beat.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
My father in law just finished building his at our hunt camp, the difference in the old camp and the new camp is somthing else!
I will post pics soon!

Gage

Timberman

I helped build a few while I had a career as a nail driver. They are nice and solid. Two things I can think of is that for some people they become a bit too rustic for everyday living. Another is that mortgage companies sometimes are loath to finance them vs a standard stick built house.

I would like one for a vacation home or hunting retreat. I don't think I'd like living in one everyday. But some people love it, so I guess it's up to the individual. Either way I'll be happy for you. :)

stumpman

Banned
My parents had one we built it about 16 yrs ago they loved it it was made out of pressure treated logs the green can be pressure washed and changes the color somewhat but it had a 25 yr bug warranty it was very inexpensive and according to the company 8" of solid wood is very good insulation there light bill was as low or lower sometimes than mine they had a 2 story and i have a 1 story brick house theres was not drafty the logs had a tounge and groove type set up with a caulk type of tape that went between each log we have been talking about building one ourselves they had one sheetrock wall in each room to add some color not just all wood Good luck!

3ringer

Thanks For The Feedback

We are still searching for all the information we can get on log homes. Overall, it seems most people are happy with their log homes. Thanks, Chuck

REDBONE

Ellijay Log Home

Last February, we bought our first log home - a dream my wife and I had forever. We found a Sisson & Company log home in North Ellijay, GA, that had been previosly built five years prior. We had a professional inspection of the house and he could find nothing wrong w/it. We have 4" logs and find it very easy to heat/cool. We absolutely love the log home tucked away in the mountains near Rich Mountain, and unexpectedly find ourselves spending every week-end enjoying its comforts. We enjoy the wood floors, walls and ceiling. We find that a 4" log provides an insulating value.

We would highly recommend a Sisson home and are presently looking to them for a larger log home in which to retire.

Mrbowdeadly

There is a company in Bronson Florida that builds them out of cypress. B.K. Cypress is the name.

That might cure the bugs liking the wood!

MBD

3ringer

Bk Cypress

Well BK Cypress just happens to be the one that I am most interested in. We hope to go visit one of their model homes soon. Yes the wood actually grow out of the tide water on the Gulf coast. It is supposed to be naturally protected from moisture and insects.
It will be a year or two before we build. We have to find some land in the NE Georgia "Cornelia" area. My wife is already working up there, while I am stuck working in Atlanta. It will be nice to get away from the Atlanta traffic.

We are researching log homes and building a home. I have been told from people who have built thier own home, they would never do it again. Thanks for the information,
Chuck

Sawman

Call Jeff At Sisson Log Homes In Blue Ridge, Ga. I Worked For Them For Seven Years. They Will Give You Great Service And A Great Product. They Have Been In Business For 20+ Years So They Are Not A Fly By Night Operation. Go With The 6x12 Dovetail Log With The Chink Groove. That Will Give You A Tight House.

Sawman

Sisson Log Homes
706-632-3053

stumpman

Banned
chuck i feel the same way i built my house and rebuilt my lake house and i will hire a contractor next time to much hassel i saved a bunch of money though every one should experience it once in there life.