Mobile Home Prices

chase870

Possum Sox
Trailers, Mobile Home, Modular Home, Factory Engineered Home, or any other name they go by have come along way in the last 40 years. I have about 45 or so years of experience in the single wide and double wide area. In the good old days I was in the Mobile Home Park pretty strong so I was always on the lookout for trailers and other types of rental properties so I have seen some changes for sure. The mobile home dealers used to take the single wide trailers in on trade, land home package double wide or single wide deals so I was in and out of the dealership lots from Athens to Dublin and as far north as Dalton. The industry always had special financing due to its nature and the rates and terms were a bit higher than conventional lending, it worked well for a long time. Some how the dealers were able to have a double wide classified as a stick built structure by removing the tung and axels, poured footers for the support piers and missionary underpinning and qualify for FHA financing. They retired the tittles when they did these loans by attaching the structure to the land for deed purpose. These deals killed the trade in business I think the last deal I did that involved a double wide was about 45k after I found the trailer and moved it and set it up

Gbr5pb

I think the issue is more financing than the mobile home falling apart. Some lenders won’t loan money at all on mobiles and some won’t lend on mobile homes over xxxx years old, causing a buyer to have to take a loan more like you were just buying open property with a much higher down payment and less lending options. I just don’t know enough to comment on modular homes. Maybe some Florida members can comment as I understand that they are common there in retirement villages. Then only thing that I’m really sure of right now is that I’ve been hauling wood in and splitting logs since my last post because my house is all electric with no natural gas service out here in the county. Heat pumps are great until the temps get under freezing, and then they suck power all night and day like my pool pump until it warms up. If I was putting something up out in the country new construction it would have a propane heating system. I don’t remember wood being this heavy in my 30’s. It’s time for a Goodys powder and some Gatorade.
Amen brother! This seemed like a good idea 37 years ago

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
The quote my son in law got on a 28 x 65 was $164,000 plus well / septic and clearing. They charge $2500 to take the grass off - no vegetation can be under home.

huntersluck

Not trying to derail, but I honestly think you will come out better value with a small private builder putting up a stick-built structure of equal size. Even if costs are similar, in 20 years when they are paid off the stick built will retain it’s value, but the mobile home will be almost worthless. There are a few good dealers, but many mobile home dealers here are like car dealers. Trying to get a straight answer on final delivered blocked up pricing was like trying to get the dems to be honest on guns. It’s been 7 years, but I was looking at putting a trailer on 27 acres before vs. building. When the numbers were fully worked out the cost vs stick built with me acting as my own general contractor were too close to drive a lawn mower thru.
I agree with your point about building but if your going to be your own GC be prepared to be lied to more than any point in your life. LOL

MudDucker

Staff member
I agree with your point about building but if your going to be your own GC be prepared to be lied to more than any point in your life. LOL

It's easy, as my old Unc who was in the builder supply and building business told me when I got ready to build as my own GC. He said "If their lips are moving, they are lying"! I found that to be true for the most part.

Liberty

I agree with your point about building but if your going to be your own GC be prepared to be lied to more than any point in your life.
I know some folks in the trades, but I was worried about hiring out the foundation, heavy framing, and roofing.