Logging activity on McGraw Ford WMA - October 2023

jncs2003

Last night I was headed to the McGraw Ford WMA to deer hunt. Upon arriving, I found that a logging group was in there heavily thinning the woods North of the back dove fields, all the way up to the power line trail running West->East. Normally I would be excited to see habitat opened up and thinned, but I have a ton of frustration with this happening during the middle of deer season and no notice that I am aware of being posted to alert hunters.

I am curious if any McGraw Ford hunters out there knew that this logging operation was planned for October, and did I just miss the notices? Or is this another example of the Department of Forestry and the Fish & Game failing to communicate/coordinate this necessary activity, during a more appropriate operational window?

Attachments

• Logging 1.jpg
    Logging 1.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Logging 2.jpg
    Logging 2.jpg
    661.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Logging 3.jpg
    Logging 3.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 60

Bowyer29

Last night I was headed to the McGraw Ford WMA to deer hunt. Upon arriving, I found that a logging group was in there heavily thinning the woods North of the back dove fields, all the way up to the power line trail running West->East. Normally I would be excited to see habitat opened up and thinned, but I have a ton of frustration with this happening during the middle of deer season and no notice that I am aware of being posted to alert hunters.

I am curious if any McGraw Ford hunters out there knew that this logging operation was planned for October, and did I just miss the notices? Or is this another example of the Department of Forestry and the Fish & Game failing to communicate/coordinate this necessary activity, during a more appropriate operational window?
If memory serves me correctly, GA Power owns that land. No State agency is to blame if that's true as the State would only lease the property. Many folks dont get notice on private property that logging is going to take place, theres almost no chance youre going to be notified on a WMA that is provately owned.
There will be plenty of deer all over those areas whenever people aren't actually there working.
Hunt and you will have good luck!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I wouldn’t expect a notification in the future either ! My local wma seems like they cut whenever they feel the need. I’ve never seen it posted or anything .

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I hope your trail cams didn’t go missing or ruined ! Also see that crew is about the same as most loggers . Look for a nice food plot to set up a loading dock

Glenn

That sucks! Between now and Halloween was always a good time to be in the woods out there.

I hunted an area where it would be pretty difficult to log because of steep hills and creeks. But I guess they could always come in from private to access it.

I thought the state owned McGraw Ford?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I was at Pinelog a while back and as I approached he Dove fields I saw trees falling and heard the commotion. It wiped out my favorite natural ground blinds(2) and completely changed the scene. I get notifications on closed boat ramps that are completely irrelevant to me, but never seen a logging notification.
I know it’s a bummer, but there is nothing we can do but move on.…..and hunt! Try to let the agreed upon future benefits be the driving force that keeps you positive and having FUN!

slow motion

If memory serves me correctly, GA Power owns that land. No State agency is to blame if that's true as the State would only lease the property. Many folks dont get notice on private property that logging is going to take place, theres almost no chance youre going to be notified on a WMA that is provately owned.
There will be plenty of deer all over those areas whenever people aren't actually there working.
Hunt and you will have good luck!
I thought the State bought that as part of Preservation 2000? Seems that's what is was called. Purchase and preserve land by the year 2000. Seems part was funded by an increase in license fees. Course my memory may not be what I thought it was.

slow motion

Could be, and I just missed that. My memory isn't what it used to be either.
Did a search for Preservation 2000. I was wrong about Mcgraw Ford as well as by 2000. It wasn't one of the properties purchased and it was by year 1995. Not sure reason for the name. There's a older GON article about it. Be interesting to see a follow up on how it all panned out over time. Especially pertaining to hunting and fishing access for the properties since license fees generated far more of the purchase price than originally planned.

Bowyer29

Did a search for Preservation 2000. I was wrong about Mcgraw Ford as well as by 2000. It wasn't one of the properties purchased and it was by year 1995. Not sure reason for the name. There's a older GON article about it. Be interesting to see a follow up on how it all panned out over time. Especially pertaining to hunting and fishing access for the properties since license fees generated far more of the purchase price than originally planned.
I remember that it was open to rifle hunts either 1 or 2 years, and the neighboring landowners had fits. I lived in Ball Ground then. They killed some big bucks with big body weights. Went to bow only for big game and success rates dropped, obviously, but there are still a lot of deer running around. Opening day of ML sounded like a war zone on the neighboring properties some years.

specialk

Ask any deer hunting logger if hes ever kept his rifle in the skidder....

slow motion

I remember that it was open to rifle hunts either 1 or 2 years, and the neighboring landowners had fits. I lived in Ball Ground then. They killed some big bucks with big body weights. Went to bow only for big game and success rates dropped, obviously, but there are still a lot of deer running around. Opening day of ML sounded like a war zone on the neighboring properties some years.
I hunted there a few times during those early years. Ran into some, shall we say, unique individuals. One in particular. Felt like he might have a few bodies buried in his back yard. Haven't hunted public since.