Looking for a spot in Schuyler county Illinois.

NinjaBS

Looking for a spot to archery hunt in Schuyler county Illinois for 2024. Anyone need a member on your lease? Possibly would consider any surrounding county.

Jim Boyd

Tall order being that specific, sir.

I would look at any of the counties that lie between the Mississippi and Illinois rivers if that is your target area.

All of those 6-8 counties are great.

Best of luck!

NinjaBS

Thanks Jim but I’m very specific on the area I want to be in. Rushville will be my hub so i would be able to go in any direction from there preferably no more than 30-45 minutes in any direction.

Jim Boyd

Thanks Jim but I’m very specific on the area I want to be in. Rushville will be my hub so i would be able to go in any direction from there preferably no more than 30-45 minutes in any direction.

Understood.

I hunt Schuyler and stay in Rushville.

Usually there the first 10-12 days of November.

Shout out if you get locked in!!!!

livetohunt

I hunted Schuyler from 2008 thru 2022(I owned farms for about the last half of that) and saw a decline in buck quality, especially the last 3-4 seasons. Schuyler seems to be where a lot of NR hunters go and virtually every single farm is hunted now. It means most of the good genetic bucks get shot every year when they are 2-4 years old. If just seeing some deer and having action packed hunts are what you are looking for, I think you will find that. If you are looking for a true trophy that could be tough. I would not rule out some other counties in Illinois unless you are truly locked in to Rushville. Good luck.

Jim Boyd

I hunted Schuyler from 2008 thru 2022(I owned farms for about the last half of that) and saw a decline in buck quality, especially the last 3-4 seasons. Schuyler seems to be where a lot of NR hunters go and virtually every single farm is hunted now. It means most of the good genetic bucks get shot every year when they are 2-4 years old. If just seeing some deer and having action packed hunts are what you are looking for, I think you will find that. If you are looking for a true trophy that could be tough. I would not rule out some other counties in Illinois unless you are truly locked in to Rushville. Good luck.

I believe I may have seen a decline in 150’s + also on our cameras in the last few years.

This year I am going to make a concerted effort to run a far more comprehensive survey across all portions of the farm and try to work that out in my mind.

Cams will deploy in May, will get batteries updated at Labor Day (if needed) then we will likely pull them after we hunt in November.

If I add some non cellular cams, I will pull the cards at Labor Day.

We have been lazy with tractor work and stand maint - gonna fix that this year.

Best of luck to all

NinjaBS

Thanks for your input guys. Maybe I’ll get lucky and find that needle in a haystack. I know it’s a long shot finding anything on here but anything is worth a shot.

Jim Boyd

Thanks for your input guys. Maybe I’ll get lucky and find that needle in a haystack. I know it’s a long shot finding anything on here but anything is worth a shot.

Best way to do it is to visit and talk.

I have had almost 0.00% luck with phone calls, letters and the internet.

Face to face and relationships trump everything, I would judge.

I am gonna retire early 2025 and as soon as the corn goes in that spring, I am headed straight to SE Iowa and work to find a farm to hunt that fall.

That area is not far at all from Rushville and will work to make November 2025 an epic combination.

Good luck, sir.

I can’t recall the exact name of it but in November - down in Brown County - they have a deer event. I would go there and talk to every person that would listen to me.

That would not help you for 24 but it could for 25.