Lunches on the job site

SarahFair

The SO literally works in the woods.
Sometimes he's down the street from lots of fast food choices, sometimes its gas station food..

He has also entering middle age and all that is starting to ...catch up.
Several people in his family have developed diabetes, thyroid, and cholesterol issues from poor dietary choices.
Obviously wanting to get out infront and avoid those issues he's wanting to turn towards healthier lunch choices.

Maintaining a full feeling will be the biggest obstacle.
There is no microwave or power available, and he won't want the hassle of using a propane stove (dirty dishes).
He's a bag to mouth kind of guy.

Any suggestions on simple, yet interesting and healthy lunches?

Big7

The Oracle
Depends on what you call middle aged?

BeerThirty

I'm a meat guy myself. Pack some cold smoked chicken breast or pork chops. Those are both lean.

Pickles are great fillers. Almost zero nutritional value other than all the sodium.

tr21

if he eats raw cauliflower, I love it with either TONYS seasoning salt or dip it in salad dressing. I can eat 2 heads a week its a great healthy snack !!!

Lilly001

Get one of those fancy insulated lunch sacks. Freeze a bottle of water and put it in the sack. Make his favorite samich (I like ham and cheese on white bread) and throw in some fruit and a healthy snack.
I ate this for decades. I only started gaining weight when I started eating restaurant food for lunch.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
When I was a mechanic and had to eat on the aircraft I had a stackable insulated lunch box with round covered containers.The bottom held soups, stews, or meats. The mid level held a salad or sliced veggies. The top layer held fruits or apple sauce. Spoon and fork laid under the cover so you only toted one container for food. I carried drinks in a separate insulated soft cooler with a freezer pack.

Search for Japanese bento box on Amazon. Those folks knew how to make a stackable lunch box.

35 Whelen

Saw this at the GON Blast, no electricity needed:

ryanh487

Wraps. Use a good tortilla, the mission carb smart have great macros and are still soft and don't taste like cardboard. For sauce, get some fat and sugar free plain Greek yogurt. Ranch powder is low calorie and can be mixed in for delicious healthy ranch substitute. You can also mix in all sorts of seasonings depending on his flavor preferences. Use quality lunch meat, hard cheeses like sharp cheddar, and baby spinach, tomatoes, etc. Ice pack in a lunch box will keep it fresh and cold, wrap it in paper towel before putting in plastic to keep it from being soggy.

georgia_home

As someone who made all the mistakes, stay away from the sweet drinks! Super sweet or carb food. Or At least moderate strictly !!

water water water, avoid excessive carbs.

slamming sodas or gatorade etc… or candy, chips, etc, like crazy is bad. a little per day maybe, but 4 dews or the fancy sweet coffee, sugary sweet like chocolate … most anything from convenience stores… is bad if done too much…

maybe leftover meet in a sammich or wrap with some veggie… healthier snacks . Subs arent TOO bad, quick and portable . Rip off some if the bread maybe.

paying the price now for eating too much of the things I mention above , when I was younger.

non sugar spices. Buffalo sauce instead of ketchup or BBQ …

balance on the salt too… some stuff carb healthy is salt heavy. Trade offs … moderation!!!

queue Rod Stewart Ooh la la (When I was younger)

Big7

The Oracle
If he's facing legit health issues, especially with a family history, you are going to want to have the Primary Care Physician hook you up with a Registered Dietitian.

Diabetes, thyroid, and cholesterol problems are serious issues and an internet forum, no matter how well intended, ain't the place to be getting dietary advice on issues that serious.

A card toting dietitian can answer all your questions and even help you plan out weekly menus so the SO can have healthy meal planning to help avoid diabetes, thyroid, and cholesterol problems down the road.

killerv

I'm saying this all in fun, so when he gets home tonight you are going to tell him about all the guys you talked to on the internet about his possible lunch choices?

While I love the idea of a wife packing a lunch for her man, if he hasnt figured out how to keep his belly full at work by the time he is middle aged that's on him.

SarahFair

I'm saying this all in fun, so when he gets home tonight you are going to tell him about all the guys you talked to on the internet about his possible lunch choices?

While I love the idea of a wife packing a lunch for her man, if he hasnt figured out how to keep his belly full at work by the time he is middle aged that's on him.
He doesnt care who I talk to as long as he has something to eat at the end of it :bounce:

Im really just looking for a healthy variety so its not the same turkey sandwich/wrap every week

Dr. Strangelove

In another month or so you're not going to have to worry about keeping things cool but warming them up or at least keeping them warm.

Chili/soup in the classic wide-mouth Stanley Soup Thermos?

Salads with a protein? Keep everything separate until time to eat so it doesn't get soggy.

Maybe look into a power inverter strong enough to run a small microwave to heat up leftovers?

Triple C

How about a couple of the pre-packaged hard boiled eggs, sliced avocado, pecans, berries, slice of hoop cheese and if he has to have meat - jerky or kippers?

Throw in a little salt and cayenne pepper to doctor up the eggs, avocado and kippers and he has himself a fine, low-carb, filling meal.