Make your voice heard

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I posted this in the Bear Hunting forum because I know most of the mountain hunters frequent there, but I thought I would post here as well. Even if you don't hunt the mountains, we are all on the same team and we need your help.

We've beat this dead horse for years and now is our chance to saddle it up and ride it.

Timber management has long been at the top of the list for habitat improvement for the mountain counties and it is met with opposition every time it gets proposed. Environmentalists are passionate, vocal, and organized in their opposition to forest management. WE, as hunters are passionate, sometimes vocal, but often very disorganized.

Here is your chance to make a difference.

It's small, but it's a start and there are more proposals coming down the pipe. It's a timber management project proposed for the Rock Creek area in the Blue Ridge ranger district.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=59189&exp=overview

The Forest Service wants to hear from us.

The link says send your comments to: towdytipton@fs.fed.us

Then, copy and paste your message to SM.FS.blueridge@usda.gov

It doesn't have to be an essay, just voice your support of the project.

Please don't skip over this. Even if you don't hunt the mountains, you probably have a good understanding of the importance of habitat on wild game. The habitat in the mountains is struggling due to years of management neglect. It will only take a few minutes of your time to voice your opinion. Share this with everyone you know that might help. If you use social media, spread it.

Last edited:

chrislibby88

Can you provide a template letter? I'll be glad to show my support, I'd just like to see what others are saying so I can be aligned with them. I don't hunt that area yet but will be in the future.
I encourage you to paraphrase. They may kick out duplicate comments.

To whom it may concern,

As a Georgia hunter and outdoorsman I support an increase in forest management in the Rock Creek and Blueridge Ranger District.

Thanks,
-A concerned outdoorsman.

Sautee Ridgerunner

There is a strong separation for some reason between hunters and “environmentalists”. And it’s apparent. Lots of hunters support very anti environment politicians. I think it’s very important that anyone speaking as an outdoorsman is on the side of conservation, wildlife, and the desire to support sustainable ecosystems. That is what we all want.

The extreme fringe fighting us doesnt understand ecology, but we do and I think that’s the point that needs to be made. Healthy ecosystems to support wildlife and trees are diverse. Cutting is the only way we can achieve that diversity again.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
The extreme fringe fighting us doesnt understand ecology, but we do and I think that’s the point that needs to be made. Healthy ecosystems to support wildlife and trees are diverse. Cutting is the only way we can achieve that diversity again.

Both sides are passionate about their beliefs. But my beliefs are based on science, not feelings.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
It doesn't have to be an essay, just voice your support of the project.

I'll second this. Don't feel obligated to write some justification, you can just say I support or oppose this. The folks fielding all that input are mainly looking to see if a person supports or opposes a proposed action and tally them up. Please don't think I'm discouraging anyone from writing what they want to say, I'm just saying you can voice your opinion quickly and easily and it counts just the same.

Tail Chaser

I just sent my two cents to both emails. Thanks for the heads up. It’s going to take everyone speaking up to get past the anti timber harvest groups. Many game and non-game species will benefit. As far as game species it may be too late for the grouse, but the deer and turkey would thrive if we had numerous small pockets like this scattered throughout all of the CNF.