Massively successful scams from the past.

NOYDB

BANNED
Diamonds are rare.

Check for yourself how rare they are. Go to any store near you and see how many are available.

Check and see how many jewelry stores there are near you.

Add all the Wallyworld sites, other stores, pawn shops. Then figure in all the online sources.

The Debeers made themselves mega rich from that scam.

"Spend at least two months salary", the meme about buying a wedding ring.

Added to the scam about gold and they had a winner.

sinclair1

I hate I participated in this scam, but I admit, I just didn't want all the looks from the gals for a crappy ring, so I went the extra mile.

Can't say it was a waste really, when I go to buy something, she says get what you want.

It is the biggest crock out there though.:smash:

Having a gal that likes diamonds ,is still better than marring a smoker that will smoke 50 times a nice ring.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have always wondered about the value of diamond, as every wife and fiancé in the US has one.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
It was a one off and didn't have staying power. Also didn't concentrate it's benefits to the nobility.

It was designed as a one off and I'm fairly certain everyone with a successful business including utility companies and big government bought into it.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I bought my wife's from Zales 49 years ago for $125. Wife still wears it and every time I tell her to upgrade it, she says it was fine back then and is still fine today and that it will stay that way.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
I bought my wife's from Zales 49 years ago for $125. Wife still wears it and every time I tell her to upgrade it, she says it was fine back then and is still fine today and that it will stay that way.

Roger that.. That's what mine said when we hit the "upgrade diamond".. Ten years. It's all racket

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I'm glad my wife has fallen for the ruse. Those little clear crystals have gotten me some mighty big 'yeses', 'well okays' and 'aww you shouldn't haves' in the past.:biggrin2:

sinclair1

My wife's also participates in the Kuerig k cup scam, but I guess it's better than the $6 cup out on the road.

sinclair1

Most on here need that Z71 or kingranch on the side of the truck and pay 20k more for it. It's a racket :stir:
Tough old rednecks need heated seats now days.:eek:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Social Security is the biggest scam eva

sinclair1

Designer bred dogs are the new scam. Your bulldog mates with a shih tzu, now suddenly you have a more valuable dog instead of a mutt.

NOYDB

BANNED
Another newer scam is the gold connections for speakers.

They aren't really gold. And there really isn't anything needed. And 99.xxx percent couldn't hear a difference.

Like Kobe beef was marketed as being special because the cows were masaused by virgins and charging more was justified.

A list could go on and on and on.

Oldstick

I still don't know exactly what "artizan" means but they tell me artizan produced groceries are worth more...

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
This might be a little controversial, because everyone wants to protect their children, but car seats are a scam IMO.

It seems like every year the companies come out with new designs and "regulations" you have to meet.

Those seats can go anywhere from $200 for a baseline model.

If your buying seats for multiple little ones every other year, you've spent a fortune.

I can understand if you get into an accident, then you should change seats.

They've really scammed the parents with guilt on this one.

Edit: A car seat's expiration date is every seven years. It might not be quite the scam I thought.

I understand it is Ga law if they are in an accident, no matter how small, they must be replaced.