Mines around Tate City, GA?

Artfuldodger

I was thinking the Forest Service stopped folks from digging in that area above Charlie's Creek. Of course one could go just to surface mine.
Supposed to have been some of the best amethyst in the state from that vicinity.
There was also another mine near Persimmon. Reading this;
"I frequented Rabun Co. numerous times when I lived in Atlanta. I visited Tumbling Water Camp on one occasion and found amethyst. The camp is on Persimmon Creek and the old amethyst mine was about 0.5 mile N of the camp. I found amethyst scattered along the old road."

Tumbling Water Camp is 7.2 mi NW Clayton, Rabun Co., GA (N 34.94827 W83.49455)

It looks like the camp is/was on Rogers-Sale Lake. I see a Kilby Mill in that area as well.

isaaca777

Would love so
I was thinking the Forest Service stopped folks from digging in that area above Charlie's Creek. Of course one could go just to surface mine.
Supposed to have been some of the best amethyst in the state from that vicinity.
There was also another mine near Persimmon. Reading this;
"I frequented Rabun Co. numerous times when I lived in Atlanta. I visited Tumbling Water Camp on one occasion and found amethyst. The camp is on Persimmon Creek and the old amethyst mine was about 0.5 mile N of the camp. I found amethyst scattered along the old road."

Tumbling Water Camp is 7.2 mi NW Clayton, Rabun Co., GA (N 34.94827 W83.49455)

It looks like the camp is/was on Rogers-Sale Lake. I see a Kilby Mill in that area as well.
me more information.. I’ve been on a wild goose chase for a while

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Factoid: that Forest Service campground right below Tate City was my great-grandpa's farm. My grandpa was born there.