MLB rule changes. Your thoughts?

Shadow11

What are your thoughts on the new mlb rules for 2023?

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/02/17/mlb-2023-rules-changes-ranked-bigger-bases-shift-dead

I didn't even know were they doing some of this until today. Should be interesting...

1. No more shift

2. Pitch clock (15 seconds with noone on base and 20 seconds with base runners) A ball is called if violated

3. Restrictions on position players pitching

4. Ghost runners in extra innings now permanent

5. More balks called

6. Much larger bases (going from 15x15 to 18x18, or 225 square inches to 324 square inches. 44% increase in area)

My opinion....

1. Kind of a tough one. I didn't like when the braves did it most of the time, but I'm not sure there should be a rule against it.

2. I like this one, but it will interesting to see some of the creative ways folks will get around it.

3. I hate this one. This is one of the most entertaining things in mlb. When Rizzo struck out Freeman that time....classic!

4. I'm ok with it in regular season, but not sure about post season.

5. Seems to go against their goal of speeding up the game, but there are some weird moves by pitchers these days. I see a lot of ejections over this one, because of the fact that it's the umpire's opinion.

6. Players are bigger now days. They have bigger feet. There are a lot of foot/ankle injuries stepping on each other's feet or tripping. There will definitely be more stolen bases.

DannyW

Without looking it up, I believe you left one out. Unless I am mistaken, they also are limiting the number of times a pitcher can try to pick off a runner. It's 3 times (?) and if a pitcher is not successful, the runner advances after the 3rd try.

If my rapidly aging math skills are correct, the 1st-to-second base distance has been shortened by 4.5". This, along with limiting pickoff tries and stronger enforcement of balks, should greatly affect the number of stolen bases this year.

BassRaider

I didn't even know were they doing some of this until today. Should be interesting...

1. No more shift OK

2. Pitch clock (15 seconds with noone on base and 20 seconds with base runners) A ball is called if violated HATE

3. Restrictions on position players pitching OK

4. Ghost runners in extra innings now permanent HATE

5. More balks called TOO SUBJECTIVE

6. Much larger bases (going from 15x15 to 18x18, or 225 square inches to 324 square inches. 44% increase in area) HATE

I'm too old school for changes!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
1. Dog manure

2. Dog manure

3. Cat manure

4. Dog manure

5. Horse manure

6. Dog manure

Nobody wants to play baseball anymore. It's just too hard of a game to play the way it was designed and nobody got a participation trophy under the original rules.

westcobbdog

To me if you want to play 7 defenders stacked up behind the second base bag have at it. If your a batter and can't hit an inside or away pitch to go away from the horde that's your problem.
I am ok with speeding up the pitcher and also the batter. How many times you gotta adjust your sissy batting gloves?

HermanMerman

The one that makes me laugh is the shift change. Just hit the ball where they ain’t. Cody Bellinger did it to perfection in the NLCS against us a few years ago. That will stop that nonsense in its tracks. Just like Joey Gallo laying down bunts for easy singles.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
They lowered the mound and shrank the strike zone 55 years ago. They’re just trying to make it more entertaining with a faster pace…

bullgator

Every time they change the rules, they skew the record books. Some rules make it easier to break records, and others make it tougher.

walukabuck

I appreciate the effort to make the game more of how it should be but hate that it got to the point of having to do something. Baseball has devolved into 4 hours of little action. Analytics took the game out of it and turned it into a math equation

BamaGeorgialine

Every sport has an illegal defense but baseball until now. I'm almost stopped watching most sports because evidently I have a problem with change. Baseball has always been the purest sport to me. I wish they'd leave it alone. Now that they have implemented no shifts, my prediction is Freddie Freeman hit 340 and wins the batting title this year

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Analytics took the game out of it and turned it into a math equation
It's always been that way. That's why left handers haven't played 2nd, short or 3rd in forever. It's why catchers don't bat in the cleanup slot, the fastest runner on the team will bat lead off and back when men played baseball the pitcher is gonna bat last, period.

ucfireman

Without looking it up, I believe you left one out. Unless I am mistaken, they also are limiting the number of times a pitcher can try to pick off a runner. It's 3 times (?) and if a pitcher is not successful, the runner advances after the 3rd try.
Stupid rule, if true.

Let the pitchers hit. Hate the designated hitter. If a player cant play the game he doesn't need to be in there.

DSGB

My thoughts are Manfred should be tarred and feathered.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Every time they change the rules, they skew the record books. Some rules make it easier to break records, and others make it tougher.

Abner Doubleday's game was perfect just like it was. This isn't baseball anymore. It's become some kind of monetized joke.

DannyW

Just looked it up to be sure. Here is the new pickoff rule, or "disengagement" rule.

The new rule: Pickoffs are one version of a "disengagement," which consists of any time the pitcher makes a pickoff attempt, fakes a pickoff, or simply steps off the rubber for any reason, as well as when the defense requests time. Pitchers are allowed two disengagements per plate appearance without penalty. The disengagements rule resets if a runner or runners advance a base within the same plate appearance.

How it will be enforced: After a third step-off, the pitcher will be charged with a balk, unless at least one offensive player advances a base or an out is made on the ensuing play after the step off.

Not sure if a mound visit constitutes a disengagement or not. What about a timeout request by the defense to check out an injury? Do all baserunners advance, including runners at third, therefore scoring a run? And is that run counted as an earned run, even if it was the SS who called for a timeout after two failed pickoff attempts?