Mobile hog trap?

ssramage

We've got a heck of a problem on our club with hogs this year, more than I've ever seen. I've killed 2 so far and still have tons. After deer season goes out, I'd like to try to put a dent in them as much as possible using a trap. The only problem is, I hunt solo and need a trap that can be relocated and operated solo. I can get my ATV to most places, but may not always be able to drive all the way to the spot so I need something that can be carried/rolled by hand.

Suggestions?

frankwright

Making it big enough for hogs to use and still be movable is the problem.
Probably,as suggested, something like the pig brig would be a good option.
There are traps with wheels for sale and plans on the internet but they are expensive to buy or build unless you have access to free materials.

HogKillaDNR

I would build a corral trap and just leave it in that area myself. Materials aren't heavy once you get everything there set it up and disarm when not in use.

ssramage

I've seen those, but more than I want to spend. Most of these sets will also be down in the woods.

I would build a corral trap and just leave it in that area myself. Materials aren't heavy once you get everything there set it up and disarm when not in use.

I thought about this, but I don't really want something "permanent" and would want to leave it in a spot for a couple weeks then move. I've got about 3500 acres that I need to cover.

HogKillaDNR

I've seen those, but more than I want to spend. Most of these sets will also be down in the woods.

I thought about this, but I don't really want something "permanent" and would want to leave it in a spot for a couple weeks then move. I've got about 3500 acres that I need to cover.
I completely understand that but the T Post corral traps are rather easy to remove. Just clip the ties and pull up the post and it's down.

sleepr71

Unfortunately,there isn’t a CHEAP & easy (mobile) solution. I guess the “easiest” is a box style trap,that you can load on & off of a trailer that you could move with your 4-wheeler. 3500 acres is a heap of ground to cover. 6 Square miles +/-. Another option: Go in as a group & buy that Pig Brig system. Then,figure out where the hogs like to be most of the time, and go ahead and pre-bait those sites ahead of time,go ahead & put T-posts in place around those feeders,and just move the actual Net/Trap. after you catch a group at one site…move the net to another site(when a Sounder is using it regularly). Also stand to catch the whole Sounder,instead of 3-4 & educating the rest. Cell cameras will save you a lot of guesswork & driving. It’s a 24/7/365 battle…?

HogKillaDNR

Unfortunately,there isn’t a CHEAP & easy (mobile) solution. I guess the “easiest” is a box style trap,that you can load on & off of a trailer that you could move with your 4-wheeler. 3500 acres is a heap of ground to cover. 6 Square miles +/-. Another option: Go in as a group & buy that Pig Brig system. Then,figure out where the hogs like to be most of the time, and go ahead and pre-bait those sites ahead of time,go ahead & put T-posts in place around those feeders,and just move the actual Net/Trap. after you catch a group at one site…move the net to another site(when a Sounder is using it regularly). Also stand to catch the whole Sounder,instead of 3-4 & educating the rest. Cell cameras will save you a lot of guesswork & driving. It’s a 24/7/365 battle…?
Completely understand, go with that system the guy was talking about in previous text.

longrangedog

If you can pull a trailer to your various trap locations then the corral trap is reasonably portable. 6 panels 16' long and 50" tall with a couple dozen t posts and a driver for the t posts and you're almost done. I set my first one up by myself in about 4 hours. Add a t post puller for when you need to move it and you've got about everything you need. Buying everything will run around $300. Hogs will eventually bend the panels and break a few welds but a damaged trap will still trap hogs. If you use a good, smelly sour corn bait you'll draw hogs from a good distance which will allow you to catch a lot in one location.

HogKillaDNR

If you can pull a trailer to your various trap locations then the corral trap is reasonably portable. 6 panels 16' long and 50" tall with a couple dozen t posts and a driver for the t posts and you're almost done. I set my first one up by myself in about 4 hours. Add a t post puller for when you need to move it and you've got about everything you need. Buying everything will run around $300. Hogs will eventually bend the panels and break a few welds but a damaged trap will still trap hogs. If you use a good, smelly sour corn bait you'll draw hogs from a good distance which will allow you to catch a lot in one location.
I mentioned it earlier too.

sleepr71

I’ve built “Figure 6” traps with as little as 3 panels…and caught a pile of hogs in them. Largest catch was 6 sows & about 15 juveniles. I highly recommend 60” high Horse panels,or Jager Pro panels, over any other panel..as they keep ALL Hogs in. A BIG Boar May go over it..but not likely. They will absolutely get over 48-52” panels & little ones will get out of anything with 4-6” squares. On our farm…we are after ELIMINATING hogs..not just catching a few to eat…?

Latest posts