More water drops

ronfritz

This could go on for a while but after going so long without posting any shots, hopefully nobody will mind too much.

Also included is the photo of the setup.

1. D300 on tripod oriented to portrait mode. I use an angle bracket but you could also just rotate the tripod head to the 90 degree position. The bracket is nice because it keeps the camera centered over the tripod and reduces the likelihood of tipping over.
  2. Corded shutter release
  3. SB-800 connected via a Nikon SC-29 TTL Coiled Remote Cord
  4. IV drip bag or plastic bag. IV drip is nice because you can turn it off and on and can vary the drip rate.
  5. Some way of hanging the drip bag over the water basin. I used a boom that is for positioning a portrait reflector. If you look up water drop photo, you will find all kinds of contraptions that have been rigged to hold the water bag.
  6. I used three bowls for this run. The large bowl catches the over flow. The blue bowl is simply there to give it some height. The glass bowl is full of water to it's rim.
  7. Background. I Googled "psychedelic photoshop" and found a easy lesson then printed the result and taped it to a box. I printed a swirly one and the one you see in the photo.
You could trigger the flash wirelessly but I liked this because I could hand hold the flash and point it where I wanted it and because it was the only way I could get the flash to fire at 1/128 power in a sequence. I'd set the camera to high speed sequence (7fps for this model) and would get a sequence of about 12 shots before the buffer filled up. Hand holding the flash yields the greatest variety of shots. For me that was important because there's times when you go for a long time without getting anything different. Being able to move the flash around gives you a little lighting variety.

I used a Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro. I set it to manual and chose 1/320 and f10 to f13. Larger apertures such as f5.6 and f8 were tried but the depth of field just wasn't enough. You can see in the splash below that the focus point could have been moved back a smidge and I'd have gotten more of the splatter in focus.

Focusing was set to manual as well. To focus I started the drip and got the drip centered in the bowl. Then I laid a pencil or a knife across the bowl until it's edge bisected the path of the drop. Then I focused manually, took a few shots until I could get a few sample drops and zoomed in on them to see whether the focus needed to be adjusted closer or further. If I needed to adjust the focus, I didn't bother looking through view finder; rather I just nudged the focusing ring a little bit one way or the other.

Once it was all in focus, I increased the drip rate and started to hammer off the twelve shot sequences. That worked much better than trying to time the shutter release with the drop. I spent the better part of the day and took about 8,000 shots. From them I got probably 80 keepers....although I suppose if I counted the "near duplicates" that I discarded the number would be closer to 160. So figure about 50 shots per "keeper". Near the end I was trying hard to get a shot of two drops colliding which yields a sort of umbrella looking splatter. It's tough because one drop has to be bouncing up while the drop behind it is coming down....so about the only way I had to make sure that happened was to increase the drip rate and adjust the height of the drip above the water. I did not have much luck. I got a couple off center collisions but that was as close as I got.

Your lens is going to get wet so make sure you have a filter attached to it. Not too messy otherwise unless you use the fluid that comes in the IV drip bag...that isn't water in there and it's a little like spraying sugar water on your counter top and floor. If you do manage to scrounge up an IV drip bag, I'd suggest ditching the contents before you start. I cut a little hole at the top corner and used a funnel to refill it.

Attachments

• WaterDrop_20110103_4710.jpg
    WaterDrop_20110103_4710.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 114
  • WaterDropIntoVinegar_20110102_2674.jpg
    WaterDropIntoVinegar_20110102_2674.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_0254.JPG
    DSC_0254.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 127

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
looks exactly like my setup ron, just a bunch fancier and better explained !!!! i love the iv drip idea , i have really tried a bunch of stuff including a cajun injector but have never found something consistent. i will have to see about getting one of these !

quinn

Dude those are looking sweeeet!Thanks for sharing yer set up as well!I don't think we'll get tired of looking at this.It will probably push more people to shoot some drops!

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Yes sir, you are really gettin it done now .... thanks for sharing your rig

rip18

Very cool! Keep the water drop shots coming! And thanks too for the setup info, especially the IV bag tip. I've got a small needle valve that goes into aquarium tubing that I use to "drip" water into a frog vivarium that would do similarly. Thanks for making me think of it.

Hoss

Keep em coming Ron. You are getting some great shots and we are getting lots of knowledge on how to do it.

Hoss