Mornings vs. Evenings

furtaker

Have you had better luck hunting hogs in the mornings or evenings? Particularly sitting over bait.

flyrod444

From sunset to sunrise for me. Get some type of feeder light and set up far enough away so they don't smell you. A green led light mounted on rifle helps when they do show up. Where I hunt most I'm about 70 yds from corn pile on far side of small Creek. The noise from the creek drowns out any noise I might make with in reason.

I hunt public land, so I can't use a feeder, but I notice them up and moving more the last hour of daylight. If I could only go once a day it would be evening for hogs. Curious if that is typical of what most folks see.

flyrod444

One might put out a few cameras and figure out when they are coming thru during daytime and set up on them. The few hogs I've taken while deer hunting have been during the morning, but have seen them middle of the day and evening. Not being able to bait hogs make them tough to pattern after the acorns have been eating. Even with bait I've set many a night over bait without a hog coming in. The cool thing we have seen several times is a bear at the bait site feeding to be chased off by a big boar when they show up. Anything bad enough to chase a bear off a pile of corn deserves a lot of respect in my book

j_seph

Shot 3 in the evening, 2 on private 1 on public

Shot 1 in mid to late morning public

Shot 2 in mid morning private

All without bait

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In the places I've hunted, both are good, with a slight edge to late afternoon. On rainy days, they'll often move and feed all day.

frankwright

We have killed a good many hogs right at first light but percentage wise evenings tend to be better.
I really like shooting them in the morning so I have daylight to work with. I have started hunting from about 4am to as long as I can sit, usually 9 or 10am and this has worked out for me pretty well.
I have timed feeders, homemade green lights and a light on whatever weapon I am using.
The hour before daylight always seem to be really good and I try to be awake for it:D

chrislibby88

I’ve seen and shot them all day, most of mine were killed mid-morning, but they move a lot right at dark.