Music the 70s

zedex

Gator Bait
I know there are members here older than myself and each generation has its favorite era of music.

It appears, however, most members were born in the 60s as I was {1964}. In my opinion, we lived through the greatest decade of music. This thread will visit the songs, the memories, the time of innocence and growth.

Im hoping I can strike your fond memories of an era gone by and maybe even post some videos of songs long forgotten

Join in and tell everyone what you remember, what you did.

Lets start with a recap of 1970.

The world lost 2 great talents with the untimely deaths of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. This was the year the Beatles split up.A gallon of leaded gas was a whopping 36 cents, a new house was about $23,000 and a new car would set you back about $2500. The average annual income was under $10,000. You could mail a letter across country for 6 whole cents. Apollo 13 happened.The Vietnam war raged on and the US invaded Cambodia.

And this song was ranked the year's number song by Billboard Magazine

zedex

Gator Bait
1971. What was this year like?

We lost Jim Morrison of The Doors and Louis Armstrong-will it continue to be a Wonderful World without him?

That new house now costs about $25,500 and that new car is about $2600. The good news is your average annual income went up to about $10, 500 and you needed that to buy gas at around 40 cents a gallon or mail the letter for 8 cents.

The 26th Amendment was ratified, lowering the voting age to 18.

Billboard Magazine ranked this very popular song as the number one for the year

zedex

Gator Bait

Baseball great, Jackie Robinson dies. So did Former President Harry Truman and FBI director J. Edgar Hoover

Your income increased again to $11,800, a house was $27,500, gas was 55 cents. And those new Wrangler jeans were $12.

The Munich Olympics suffered a terrorist attack, but the big story of the year was found in Watergate.

Billboard shows this as the song of the year

zedex

Gator Bait
1973. I was in 3rd grade and this date, Feb 9, 1973 was a special and tragic year for me. Special because I was living in Brunswick then and it snowed so much on this date.

This is the year that Bruce Lee, Pablo Picasso, Lyndon B Johnson and Jim Croce left the world.

New home prices took a significant jump to $32, 500 and the income rose to just under $13,000. Gas was 40 cents and you put it in you $3,000 car. A carton of eggs was a bank-busting 45 cents.

OPEC doubled the cost of crude and the movie "American Graffiti" was released.

Billboard called this tune the year's top song

zedex

Gator Bait
Anyone remember 1974? I dont. Was kind of year was it? Let's check it out

Celebrity deaths were plenty. Agnes Moorehead of "Bewitched" fame passed away. Along with her, We lost Charles Lindberg, Ed Sullivan, Jack Benny, Mamma Cass Elliot, and a formerly unknown man who made a huge difference during WW2, Oskar Schindler.

Houses were selling just under $35,000 and you earned just under $14,000. Gas for your new Ford Galaxy 500 { $3900} was 42 cents.

For about $60K, you could buy a 10 acre ranch in California with fruit trees

The IRA bombs Specific places in Britian while President Nixon is forced to resign over Watergate Later pardoned by president Ford}, George Foreman and Mohammed Ali square off in what is argueably the greatest boxing event ever. Steven King publishing his first novel, "Carrie" and, in a failed attempt to save fuel {and lives}, the US imposes a nationwide maximum speed limit of 55mph { it was finally repealled in 1995}

And, your radio was playing this top song of the year

Last edited:

zedex

Gator Bait

it wasnt a great year, wasnt too bad, either. But it was an active one

Super stunning actress Susan Hayward left us. Jimmy Hoffa disappeared, The beautiful French dancer, Josephine Baker, died. Other notables included Lefty Frizzell, Ozzie Nelson { Ozzie and Harriet}, TV producer/actor Rod Serling, and brothers, Moe and Larry Fine { 2 of the three stooges}

New homes were easing their way to the $40,000 mark while income inched up to just over $14,000. The average for a new car was $4200 and gas was 44 cents.

The biggest news was also the greatest. The Vietnam war is over-- at the least for America. Crude crosses the $13 mark and the VHS is introduced. Patty Hearst makes the news for bank robbery and is later pardoned by Bill Clinton

Box office smash "JAWS" is released

And this was the top song of the year according to Billboard

srb

Some of my Favorites:

Marshal Tucker Band
Alman Brothers
Pink Floyd

John Anderson
Mickey Giley
Johny Paycheck

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
75 was a great year. I finally finished high school. I was raised way out in country old style by my folks. Hunting, fishing and working the farm was my life up till then. I didn’t even have a radio till I moved out on my own. Then it was southern rock and bluegrass.

zedex

Gator Bait
1976. If you were born before this remarkable year, you remember it well { unless you were still in diapers}.

Bi-Centennial. 200 years of being a country. It seemed as though the national celebrations would never end. Independence Day Celebrations were over the top-- just crazy. And fantastic.

Notable celebrity deaths were Howard Hughes and Agatha Christie

That new house is about $44,000 but the great American Dream was flustered by your $16,000 salary. That new Plymouth Arrow is going to cost you $3200 and giving a sip of fuel came in at 59 cents per gallon. The CB radio came into vogue and was pretty expensive for the day at $148. { About the same cost today for a baseline model}

The CN Tower in Toronto is complete and its the tallest freestanding structure in the world. The first space shuttle takes flight, The airplane "Concorde" makes its debut trip, Boxing movie "Rocky" is released and Jimmy Carter becomes your president.

Also, this year, while everyone is hopped up on Bi-Centennial celebrations, two geeks are working like mad scientists in a lab. On what, you ask? They are forming a company. Their names are Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniac and they formed Apple.

While Steve and Steve are doing the unthinkable in the garage and our parents are having a drink, we are listening to this, the top song of the year

zedex

Gator Bait
Im going to let my laptop cool down and recharge a bit then continue with the decade.

Yall please feel free to post up your songs. Right now, I am just posting the top songs of each year. But, this decade produced the greatest music, there is so much of it.

Personally, I dont always agree with Billboard but they are the industry leader in music rankings.

After I finish the decade, I will be posting lots of my favorites from 1970-1979 as well as some forgotten songs and when possible, I will provide a little background of each.

When yall post one, please post the year released if you know it and some background of the song and/or artists.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
1973. I was in 3rd grade and this date, Feb 9, 1973 was a special and tragic year for me. Special because I was living in Brunswick then and it snowed so much on this date.

This is the year that Bruce Lee, Pablo Picasso, Lyndon B Johnson and Jim Croce left the world.

New home prices took a significant jump to $32, 500 and the income rose to just under $13,000. Gas was 40 cents and you put it in you $3,000 car. A carton of eggs was a bank-busting 45 cents.

OPEC doubled the cost of crude and the movie "American Graffiti" was released.

Billboard called this tune the year's top song

1973 - U.S. ended the draft.

Cmp1

BANNED
Graduated 1975,,,,

Grew up in the suburbs, motown was the rage,,,,

Of course you had The Doors, I remember when Light My Fire came out,,,,

But motown was the rage, CKLW Canada, AM

WABX Detroit was the Rock station, way ahead of its time,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And coincidentally, I hate every one of those "songs of the year," and you haven't even got to where disco killed rock and roll yet. :)

My 70s was bluegrass, southern rock, Waylon and Willie, Ted Nugent, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Bocephus toward the end of the decade, and stuff like this:

zedex

Gator Bait
I got busy last night and have to go to Vancouver today.. on ferry now.
Will finish the decade this evening.
There were so many great hits of the 70s in pop, rock, disco, country....