Must have cast iron...

SarahFair

I finally got a protective wall in my kitchen up to hang my cast iron pans.
The wall is 24 x 90", so I'm going to have to thin the herd to just the necessities.

We are a family of 4 that cooks breakfast, some lunches, and dinners daily.

Currently I have around 17 pans, 2 Dutch ovens, and a small army of corn stick pans.

(3) #3 - 6.25"
(3) #5 - 8" (1) lid
(1) #8 sk d2 - 10.25"
(5) #8 - 10.25"
(1) #8 cf - 10.25" (modern, no lid)
(1) #8 sqsk - 9.25" (square skillet)
(1) #9 tb - 11.25" (modern lodge, top of stove broiler)
(1) 10.25" (modern Emeril, square, top of stove broiler)
(1) unmarked - 9.75"
(1) Wagner Ware Sidney -O- Dutch Oven
(1) #8 Dutch oven (one of the Dutch ovens has a lid)
I believe most are vintage lodge, with some modern pans mixed in.

What pans have you found everyone needs in a functional collection?

What would you keep out of this lot and what would you sell in order to trade up for a everyday useful collection?

The corn sticks I will probably never use because they just seem unnecessary as I make my cornbread in loafs, so they will be sold.

georgia_home

Got 3 CI’s

1 Dutch oven, bigger size maybe 8qt.
1 large pan lodge
1 medium pan lodge

dont use them often.. except large pan.’been getting a workout a bit recently. Mostly to seer then bake in.

Last edited:

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I just got one- mebbe a 10"? It's one of them faintcy French ones with blue enamel on the outside. Don't use it much. It was a gift.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You have a good start there. Round handled griddles are great for stove top breads like pancakes, hoecakes and flat breads. I use two for pancakes as my wife likes hers blond and I like mine a little more brown. A deep skillet (chicken fryer) with a lid is great to have. A #12 or #14 skillet is also good if you are cooking a lot of bacon or stewing squash for a crowd. It is difficult to have a dutch oven that it be too big or too many. LOL

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Oh yes, one of hose oblong fryers that will fit over two eyes on the stove is good to have too. I sort of have one. A friend asked me to clean one up a couple of years ago and I am waiting for him to forget where it is. LOL

specialk

i got a 20 and 30 gal stew pot...that's it....

specialk

Dude - those are big stew pots.

i bought the 30 back in the 90's at an ace hardware store in chamblee, they were using it as a trash can near the checkout.....the 20 belonged to my father-in-law, we got it when he passed a few years back.....

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
i bought the 30 back in the 90's at an ace hardware store in chamblee, they were using it as a trash can near the checkout.....the 20 belonged to my father-in-law, we got it when he passed a few years back.....

30 gallons of stew would feed this forum. Let us know when and where. I like mine over rice.

TomC

I just got one- mebbe a 10"? It's one of them faintcy French ones with blue enamel on the outside. Don't use it much. It was a gift.

One of these days I'm going to treat myself to a couple pieces of that fancy French cast iron! Pricey!

MOTS

I have a good bit, but my 10" square skillet gets used the most mainly
for buttermilk cornbread.

Cadcom

Got a pic of your wall? What are you using as the protection? I am thinking of a shiplap wall in my kitchen to hank my iron on and just repaint as needed. (But I hate painting)

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
We have 3 different sized skillets a griddle, muffin pan and a few others. I've never counted our CI, but maybe a dozen.

SarahFair

One of these days I'm going to treat myself to a couple pieces of that fancy French cast iron! Pricey!
Keep an eye out at estate sales, I've seen a few go through them.

Got a pic of your wall? What are you using as the protection? I am thinking of a shiplap wall in my kitchen to hank my iron on and just repaint as needed. (But I hate painting)
I just got a piece of plywood and bought a box of peel and stick flooring.

The only place I had for the wall to go was on the white cabinet wall next to my fridge, hence why the area is so small..
I did the wall in a harringbone pattern to avoid a "barnwood" look, which is fine, it just doesn't fit for this space..

I wanted to avoid paint because the oils it would suck up, causing grease stains.
I was originally going to use real wood, but the price of lumber was pushing the budget to aggravating heights.

I'm hoping the peel and stick works out, they have an extra adhesive you can put down, but they were out and I wasn't wanting to wait another few weeks.
My thought with the peel and stick is, it's non-absorbent and wipeable, so the oils won't seep in, creating grease marks, just not sure if the oils seep between crevices what the longevity of the glue would be.

Peel and stick wasn't my first choice, but after pricing it all out, it will do
20220222_142253.jpg

Hornet22

ROMEO
You go gurl. Good to see ya back on hera:rockon:

:cheers: