Muzzle loaded cannon laws GA

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Can you fire it out of a pickup bed?

If so, fire it off on the other side of the neighborhood and then head to the house.

Watch out for doorbell cameras and such.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Several folks have them around Lake Sinclair. They fire them off regularly during warmer months. Lots of them choose 5pm to shoot.
Nobody minds. But most of us Sinclair folks need waking up after our afternoon nap. ?

obelix

Four oz is stout. Two is all my little cannon can take.. I can't imagine what four oz sounds like. Mine sounds like someone just blew up a mine shaft..

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
That is awsome pig predator. What are the specs on the cannon and what do you shoot out of it?
1 inch muzzle, 5 inches long. I shoot pyrodex rs out of it. It can handle any amount of powder I throw at it but I don't fool with black powder. It does articulate 360*

j_seph

The cannon definitely has things stirred up. I've shot it with bread only as wadding about 8 times since the beginning of the year. The first time was during the day and nearly got busted because someone saw the smoke in the woods behind my house, but by that time it had blown around enough they couldn't really tell where it was coming from.

From then on out I only shot it just after dark and it seems to have worked so far. On the neighborhood FB page there has been no less than 200 posts about it over the past few weeks. Some people are spitting fire, some think there is a pirate in the neighborhood. Quite a few hard core karens too.

I stoked the fire a bit and made up a flyer with a picture of a cannon (not my cannon), saying there would be a cannon shoot down at the neighborhood ball field on a particular sunday, then dropped a few of the flyers at random spots around the neighbhorhood. It really stoked the fire when someone posted a picture of the flyer on the FB page. The karen theory was the only neighbors who like the cannon fire got a copy. There were people posting those snapchat things that makes them look like a pirate and saying they want to see a cannon. Others were posting "BOOM!" gifs on the page, etc. The day of the "event" people were driving and walking around the neighborhood, you would have though it was halloween (without the masks). One of the lead karens just walked in a circle in her culdesac over an over for about 2 hours. It was absolute pandemonium that day. Everyone was on edge because they either wanted to catch the "mad cannoneer", or because they couldn't wait to finally see the cannon.

Some called the sheriff who according to the FB posts were told there wasn't anything they could do unless someone was shooting a projectile. Someone called the fire department via 911 one night, they came out and left about 4 minutes after they got the complainants house. The person who called pleaded for people to run out of their house, wave down the firetruck and complain. At first I thought when I saw the fire truck that I had given a neighbor a heart attack (it's that loud). People have posted videos of their 4-5 yr old children begging for it to stop because it scares them. Some people because of their pets. Others say, if they just "knew" what it was they would be ok (trap). Some say they didn't buy a house in a Beirut war zone and that it MUST stop. It has been the dominate topic on the neighborhood FB page for weeks now. Others still are going full 2A and saying it's just a 1 second boom, live with it, no big deal. Goes on and on, and on.

There are also a lot of theories floating around of exactly what it is, but no one really knows for sure (a cannon is the leading theory). Some people think it's a cannon, some people think it's construction noise from some where, some people think it's a firework of some kind. There is also other random noises not made by me (maybe regular gun fire somewhere), that people hear at all times during the evening and they think it's the same source. There is a theory that someone is moving around the neighborhood in different locations firing it because people seem to hear it coming from all different directions. They also post about where it's coming from, some think it's another neighborhood, some think it's my street. It's a huge mystery. They have not went to the next door app to appeal to other neighborhoods, and there are a whole slew of theories there as well, even one suggested it was someone burning bamboo, to skybooms or even tannerite. Now people from all neighborhoods around me swear it's shaking the photos off their walls and making them leap out of their chairs. They have made public calls on next door pleading for the "anonymous" cannon fire person to reveal themselves or else "we gotta do something to stop them" (what that is I don't know). They have started a neighborhood patrol around 7pm to try and catch the sound and locate the source.

Not sure how much farther I want to push my luck. The hardcore karens are having serious meltdowns right now and are on a razor's edge and are about to start going around the neighborhood with pitchforks and axes.
That is just too funny

pdsniper

You guys would loose your mind on my cannon then its about a little more than Half a tea cup full and I use damp news paper to wad it, blows confetti all over the place but my barrel is made from high grade Nickel steel and it originally came off of a 40 mm Anti Aircraft gun so you will never over pressure it with black powder, I have a 20 mm Cannon barrel off of a Aircraft gun that will be the next cannon I build with that

LittleDrummerBoy

You should be aware that there are acoustic systems that use multiple microphones and triangulation to detect the location of this kind of loud noise. Echos can fool the human ear regarding location, but these detection systems are good enough not to be fooled. These systems aren't cheap, but if the Karens really want to catch you, this is the technological approach they would probably use.

The other way you'd get caught would be for someone in the neighborhood to see something or from someone in your household to say something. Keeping this kind of secret in the longer term can be very difficult.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I have a friend that has one like that. He said he can hit a paper plate first shot with it at 100 yards. We were talking about bringing it to the club to kill a deer with it. My captain said it was illegal but could not point to any actual law against it. Black powder, muzzle loading and well above the legal minimum calibre. He finally said "they" didn't mean for us to shoot a deer with it. "they didn't mean" being his favorite when he was wrong....LOL
Lol. That’s like folks with us that tell folks it’s illegal to deer hunt with a machine gun. It’s the same thought process. It’s nowhere in the G&F law.

pdsniper

I actually called DNR about hunting with a machine gun and it is 100 % legal as long as it is a legal caliber and you use expanding bullets there is nothing in the law books that says the amount of rounds you have or the rate that it fires them at according to the Sargent I spoke to but he did ask why I would want to and I told him I was just trying to win a bet and I won, but a buddy of mine did do it with one of my MG 42's just to say he did it

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I actually called DNR about hunting with a machine gun and it is 100 % legal as long as it is a legal caliber and you use expanding bullets there is nothing in the law books that says the amount of rounds you have or the rate that it fires them at according to the Sargent I spoke to but he did ask why I would want to and I told him I was just trying to win a bet and I won, but a buddy of mine did do it with one of my MG 42's just to say he did it
Yep. Nothing in the law says you can’t use a machine gun as long as you meet the other requirements

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You can deer hunt with a legally posessed cannon if you can find an expanding projectile for it.