My Father, Lewis Grizzard, and Good Friends... Pass the Ammunition !!!!!

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
To start this post, I would like to say that my Father was probably one of the most prolific Quail hunters in Georgia and possibly South Carolina during his lifetime as he hunted in both states. He always had friends in the right places that seemed to offer him expert assistance whenever he needed it. His birddogs also received excellent care from his friends involved in the UGA Veterinary Science Department over the years also.

This past weekend, I decided to inventory all of my remaining ammunition and during this process, it brought back a flood of wonderful memories from the past times being spent with my Father and several of his friends. I always loved my Father but sometime later, I began to also learn more about Lewis Grizzard and that is why my moniker that "fits me perfectly" appears in everyone of my posts states: My Daddy Was A Pistol And I'm A Son Of A Gun-------Lewis Grizzard

Yes, Lewis wrote that book and I have copies of it along with most of the other books that Lewis also wrote as he and my Father are my HEROES. I really do believe that my Father and Lewis would have gotten along great and THEY ARE PROBABLY KEEPING EVERYONE LAUGHING IN HEAVEN with sharing their tall tales along their life's journey. I also believe that neither of them ever wasted any ammunition either.

Now to get to the present......The good news is that I found a couple of cases of both 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotgun shells (WITH A VERY SPECIAL LABEL ON EACH BOX) this weekend that was my late Father's and I've have kept them as they were still in the cases with this label on them:

WESTERN AUTO STORE
MAIN STREET
LINCOLNTON, GA 30817

I actually took an inventory of all of my hunting ammunition them this weekend.

The other good news is that this independently owned Western Auto Store was owned by one of my best friend's family for about 50-60 years or so and it was always the best place to buy firearms and ammunition, as he was one of the largest volume sellers of these items, year after year.

Mr. Smalley was ALSO the LARGEST SALES dealer for garden tillers as he got in 18-wheeler truck loads every time that he re-stocked. I remember one year that he sold over 800 tillers and people would drive from several hundred miles away to buy these at such good prices. He also was the largest dealer for Remington Model 742 rifles for several years as well. He sold hundreds of these for $146.50 each, then ultimately went up to $151.50. I would bet that Mr. Smalley sold more Remington products that any other sales location in the country during all of those years because of his very low margins but it was made up on large volume instead. I would also bet that there are several members of this website that have purchased items from him over the years as well.

In addition to the above items, this store was also one of the largest sales volume for all types of household furniture for every room of your house as well.

When they were in the process of closing this family owned store, I also bought all of the Remington 444 ammunition (several boxes of 20 rounds each) that cost me $21.80 each and today, these boxes still look brand new. Even way back then, I tried to also tried to stock up on regular ammunition such as 30-30 and also .22 caliber bullets as well.

Mr. Smalley and my Father were really close friends throughout their lifetimes and his Son and I have been really close friends for many years as well. His Son owns a funeral home and has taken care of funeral arrangements for my parents, my late wife, my mother-in-law and also several other relatives as well. I have always kidded him since he started his Funeral Home business by asking him if any of his "clients" ever talk to him with any questions etc. I have always told other people that he would be the last person to "put you down" !! Sometimes, you just have to "joke about things" in your daily schedule just to be able to keep your sanity of sorts.

The fact is during this past weekend, I spent several hours on Saturday in my woods "talking" with my late Father as I walked along and that surely helped to really enjoy the memories of my late Father who died on his 68th birthday back on July 6, 1980 with me by his side and holding his hand.

Last edited:

basstrkr

My goodness I didn't know of your roots. I liked me some Lewis Grizzard stories. I worked swing shift for 38 years and his stories were always good but if you read them at 2:AM when your tired and isolated from the rest of the world for 12 hours they are REALLY good.
As I kid I really like the Western Auto Store, toys, gun, wagons, ect. I have 22 automatic Revelation that belonged to my Dad that he bought at Western Auto.

Our local WA Store turned in Home Town Supply many years ago.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Would you be so kind as to double check for one of those old tillers hidden away somewhere,I could use it.

GeorgiaGlockMan

.......with me by his side and holding his hand.

That last line "got me".

Anyone who's held a parents hand as they pass will understand. Lost my mom way too soon too.

Anyway, I too loved western auto stores too. There weren't any in TX where I grew up.

My favorite one was in Tipton, MO....my grandpa's old haunt. I bet we bought a trillion BBs over the years when I was growing up there on summer vacations.

I used to loose alot of sleep as a kid wondering why a "western auto" was in Central MO. I was a literal kid i guess. West was Texas, AZ and CA from the stories I loved.

The guy that ran that western auto store was a hoot and a great friend of my grandpa Vic's. Every summer we would buy all the BBs he had on the shelf on about day 2 or 3. I found out later he just liked pulling my leg with the "let me see if I have any more in the back". He always would say the same thing as he brought out a handful of bb tubes: "I know The Texas Invasion " happens every year about this time, comeback tomorrow ". My g-pop liked to drink his 2nd cup of morning coffee there.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Flynlow,

Yup, it is tough but like you said. I wouldn't have had it another way. My mom was basically unconscious for a couple days. I never knelt so much in my life. It was worth it for the last hand squeeze as she passed.

Your last line is GOOD advice.