My field corn experiment !

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
We grew sorghum every year until I was in college. We would cut the heads off in October and leave piles of them laying in the field. Deer would eat on those heads all winter long.
I’ve found it to be the best thing to plant for deer . Easy to grow and they leave it alone until it matures . We have a pretty strong herd and they’ll wipe it out pretty quick . But it’s tall enough they feel safe in it

antharper

Staff member
August 5 ! It’s starting to put on ears . Put 200lbs of nitrogen on it right before the rain a couple days ago . I think it’s gonna do ok if I can get a couple more timely showers and the deer will leave it alone . Noticed several stalks knocked down today and the little immature cob ate . IMG_3455.jpeg

Jim Boyd

August 5 ! It’s starting to put on ears . Put 200lbs of nitrogen on it right before the rain a couple days ago . I think it’s gonna do ok if I can get a couple more timely showers and the deer will leave it alone . Noticed several stalks knocked down today and the little immature cob ate . View attachment 1245336

That is SWEET right there.

Great work !!!

buckpasser

@antharper Looking good! What did you do for weed control?

My late corn all made good too, even though the duck pond nearly drowned early. I’ve planted around June 1 for the past two years on the irrigated food plots and I plan to continue. Much better timing for hunting purposes.

Before that I was planting traditional April firstish and it becomes nothing but a jungle gym for morning glory by deer season.

antharper

Staff member
@antharper Looking good! What did you do for weed control?

My late corn all made good too, even though the duck pond nearly drowned early. I’ve planted around June 1 for the past two years on the irrigated food plots and I plan to continue. Much better timing for hunting purposes.

Before that I was planting traditional April firstish and it becomes nothing but a jungle gym for morning glory by deer season.
Sprayed it once with roundup when corn was about knee high .

buckpasser

Sprayed it once with roundup when corn was about knee high .

Nice! I have to spray several times to get it that clean. Dual 2 magnum and atrazine at pre-emerge, then roundup, then Liberty, and even drive through it at maturity with the boomless sometimes. Otherwise it’s coffee weed, pig weed, grass and morning glory city out there.

buckpasser

Be very careful with that stuff.I have reason to believe it caused my cancer.

Did you use it a lot, or do you think it’s just in things you consumed? My good friend who died young believed he might have gotten AML from it being in everything. He was a stickler for not getting any chemical on him and constantly preached at me about being extra careful to avoid contact with the pesticides we both used for work.

crackerdave

Did you use it a lot, or do you think it’s just in things you consumed? My good friend who died young believed he might have gotten AML from it being in everything. He was a stickler for not getting any chemical on him and constantly preached at me about being extra careful to avoid contact with the pesticides we both used for work.
I used it a lot farming and forestry working.

antharper

Staff member
Well it made corn ! Thankful for the rain the last few weeks or I don’t think I would have made much of anything . Had my little partner out this morning inspecting it . Hardly any worm damage . Deer are tearing some down . The ear in picture the whole stalk was torn down . IMG_3540.jpegIMG_3541.jpegIMG_3543.jpegIMG_3548.jpeg

Latest posts