My first Georgia Gobbler!

rutandstrut

Friday

This past weekend started out a little early! I took Friday off from work and headed to my Lease in Perry Florida! I only heard two Gobbles early and nothing until about 9 o'clock...the only thing that I could get them (4 Jakes) to Gobble at was a Crow Call. I went through every call in my vest and never heard a thing until I pulled out my Crow Call and hit it...4 Jakes Gobbled less than 100 yards away!

I moved several times and hunted until about 12:30 and never heard or saw anything! I headed back to camp to take a shower, eat and relax!

Saturday

I got up early Saturday and decided to Setup where I thought I heard the gobble on Friday morning! It was very foggy and I started out soft calling and progressively getting louder. I didn't hear anything early and decided to make a move and go back to where I had seen a lot of Turkey sign.

I setup and made some soft calls and sat and made some more calls and sat and never heard or saw anything! I headed back to camp to take a shower, eat and relax!

My girlfriend called me Saturday afternoon and after I told her I wasn't having any luck with the turkeys on my lease, she asked me if I wanted to come up and try to hunt on her property! I told her I would really enjoy that and drove up to South Georgia to get ready to hunt Sunday morning!

Sunday

I woke up late and didn't get into the woods until it was good light! I didn't know what to expect since I was late and the bird haven't been gobbling at all! I ease to the back of the property close to the Withlachoochee River and found a spot that looked good to setup!

I was sitting against a large oak tree with palmettos surrounding me, on the inside corner of an old woods road. I was also facing a three strand barbed wire fence that separated her property from the neighbors property where Debbie said the turkeys were roosting.

I started out calling soft on a pocket slate nothing, grapefruit wood double slate nothing, dogwood anodized aluminum nothing, Dick Kirby collectible mahogany/walnut single sided call nothing, Bob Harwell poplar/walnut 7 check box call nothing, neon green goofy bat wing nothing!

After going through most of the calls in my vest starting out soft and getting progressively louder to reach out farther! I called every 15-20 minutes and sat and listened in between! I was starting to thing I was going to have the same luck here as I did in Perry, Fl. that is until I picked up the dogwood anodized aluminum call and made a few loud clucks, cutt and made some loud yelps! That is when I heard what I thought was a gobble. It sounded like it was 800-1000 yards away!

I hit the call again and I am sure I heard him gobble and he was answering me! I picked up my Bob Harwell poplar/walnut box call and hit it and he gobbled again! Game on! I sat there anxiously without touching a call for 10 Minutes! I couldn't stand it any more so I pulled out an orange wood anodized aluminum Call that I hadn't tried yet! He hammered and he had cut the distance in half!

I sat there for 5-10 more minute and listened to him gobble on his own at crows and hawk screams! I couldn't stand it any more! I picked up the poplar walnut box and cutt and then yelp on it...He hammered and had cut the distance in half again! I got my gun pointed in the direction the gobbles where coming from and tried the goofy bat wing...he hammered at me and was getting closer. I got my face down on the gun and started looking for him to show himself...he was getting ver close!

Just about the time I was getting ready to call again...I saw him walking and then pausing to Strut...He kept getting closer to me and I knew it was just a matter of time before I would get a shot! He came all the way to the 3 strand fence in full strut and wouldn't come through! It was a test...but I couldn't shoot since he was still on the neighbors property! He couldn't see the hen he was hearing and went behind a bush!

There was a place in the fence where the bottom two strands were missing on the opposite side of the bush...I moved my gun to that spot and waited! It seem like forever but it was probably only 5 minutes...he never came out from behind the bush! I picked up the orange wood pot call and tested him...he gobbled but was 100 yards down the fence line...I waited a little while and hit the call again...he gobbled and was 200 yards down the fence line! I picked up my stuff and made a move!

I parralleled the road and food plot that I walked in on and moved about 75-100 yards...I found a good spot to setup and hit the poplar walnut box...he gobbled approx. 200 yards away but on my side of the fence this time! I picked up the orange wood anodized call and hit it and he gobbled again...he was still getting farther away so I packed up and made what would be my final move!

I continued to parallel the road and food plot that I walked in on. I moved approx. 75-100 more yards as slowly and quietly as possible...I came to a slough and had to cross it to get closer to the road and a good place to setup...Debbie had a pop up blind setup in this area so she could turkey hunt with her dad! I moved past the blind and found a tree that looked good to setup on! I got setup and tried him again...he gobbled and seemed to be within 100 yards! I sat there a little while and had to try him again. I picked up the poplar walnut box and hit it and he cut me off! He was off to my left so I slid over the trees roots and got positioined so I was facing straight at his last gobble!

I got my gun pointed in the right direction got ready for the shot! I had the goofy bat wing in my mouth. I saw movement on the food plot road and then saw a hen approaching me. I clucked and purred on the goofy abt wing diaphragm and she walked past me and then came into the woods with me! She was less than 10 feet away! It was pretty intense...hoping she wouldn't bust me and ruin the Hunt! The Mossy Oak Breakup camo I was wearing did it's job and she walked back up on the road and started walking away from me and the gobbler.

I put my head down on the gun and got ready to take the safety off! This was a really intense Hunt! I didn't realize it until after it was over...I had been working this Gobbler for over an hour! As I watched the road where the hen came from I saw more movement and then saw that red head walking toward me on the road! He was walking toward me bobbing his head looking for the imposter hen (me) and following the hen that had just visited me which was walking down the Road.

At first all I could see was his head...then his head and neck...his head, neck chest and beard! I clicked the safety off, took aim as he stopped. He started to turn around and started clucking. I put the bead on his head and squeezed off the shot. He flipped over backwards and slid down the road bank to the Fenceline and out of sight! I jumped up to go look at my Turkey!

I would like to Thank Debbie for inviting me to Hunt on her Property! This is one 30 Acre tract of land that hunts a lot bigger! Her property is sandwiched in between two much larger pieces of property and acts as a travel corridor for an abundance of wildlife! :cheers:

Attachments

• turkey3.jpg
    turkey3.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 744
  • turkey4.jpg
    turkey4.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 708
  • turkey6.jpg
    turkey6.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 710
  • turkey7.jpg
    turkey7.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 744
  • turkey2.jpg
    turkey2.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 708
  • turkey1.jpg
    turkey1.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:

Hawken2222

Good Job Tim. Congrats on a fine bird.

rutandstrut

You need to take that gal out to eat somewhere fancy!

We had a feast last night! Fried wild turkey breast strips, French Fries, Homemade Cole Slaw, Fresh baked scratch bisquits, Homemade Turkey Gravy! It doesn't get any better than that! It was Awesome!

Good Job Tim. Congrats on a fine bird.

Thanks!

Congrats. Have ya drawn blood with the new stoeger yet.

I carried it Friday and Saturday in Florida and didn't get a chance to pull the trigger! I patterend it at the range and it will kill a Turkey at 40+ yards, but I am still not happy with it! It will probably be headed to "Gobbler Guns when I get a chance to ship it. So Rob Roberts can work his majic on it! I killed this bird with my Stoeger M2000. When I shot it before the season I stopped counting when I hit 79 Pellets in the head and neck of a Turkey Target!

Last edited:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Congratulations on a fine Paradise Swamp bird, Tim!

ryanwhit

Nice job Tim! Congrats on a great Wilthlachoochee River gobbler!!

fredw

Retired Moderator
Tim, great story and a fine bird.

Tell Ms. Debbie to let us know the next time she cooks up a spread like that......I could probably be there in five hours or so.....

rutandstrut

Congratulations on a fine Paradise Swamp bird, Tim!

Thanks Nick! It was a Hunt I won't soon forget!

Nice job Tim! Congrats on a great Wilthlachoochee River gobbler!!

Thanks Ryan! Sometimes everything comes together!

Tim, great story and a fine bird.

Tell Ms. Debbie to let us know the next time she cooks up a spread like that......I could probably be there in five hours or so.....

Thanks Fred! There are some pictures of the feast taken, maybe Debbie will post them up!

Nice job Tim, and a heck of a story. Congrats on your bird!

Thanks Greg! This was one of the most intense Turkey Hunts I have been a part of! Setting up three times, moving twice, testing him to make sure he was still there and then bringing the hunt to a end with the shot! We were engaged in a Battle for a little over an hour! It was an awesome hunt! The only thing better would have been if Debbie was with me and she pulled the trigger!

Congrats Tim!!!!!!!! A more deserving man there is not.

Fine photos!!

Thanks Nitro! I really appreciate it! Good Luck the rest of the Spring Turkey Season! I know you will be laying them down!

Old Winchesters

Congrats Tim, Great story...

deuce1

Swamp Chicken

Congrats on a fine GA. gobbler. My wife cooked a mighty fine spread tonight; i am so full i could not hold a rolaid right now!

chadf

That's good stuff !
Everything about it !

rutandstrut

Congrats Mr. Tim on your first peach state gobbler!

Thanks Will! I hunted around Ailey, Ga. with Fountain (TJ) a couple of years ago, heard some Gobbles but it was late season and we weren't successful! Hope your season is going good this year!

That's good stuff !
Everything about it !

Thanks Chad! Do you have any Mountain Gobblers left? I have two more Georgia tags that need to be filled!

love the story, congrats.

Thanks! I tried ot relive the hunt while I was driving home today so I could put it on paper!

Thanks!

chadf

Tim, I was just about to ask u about chasing a mtn gobbler!

Bright minds think alike !!!!