My first try at smoking Bear

gcs

I put it on about 8 hours ago. I'm doing a Boston butt also in case the bear doesn't turnout good. I just put the thermometer in the bear ham, I still got always to go. I'm going to smoke it like I would pork. I am going to bring the internal temp up to 195-200 deg.
I started with my favorite dry rub, I coated them 24 hours before starting them smoking process. I sure hope it turns out okay. If anybody has smoked bear before, please let me know if I need to do anything different.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 324

bigelow

Executive Chef at Billy's Bistro
Get the fat rendered out. It seems to leave a weird aftertaste.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
That's gonna be good Gcs.. I've got a butt rubbed down with Bad Bryan's getting ready for the smoker.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 249

gcs

Get the fat rendered out. It seems to leave a weird aftertaste.

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping the fat will get rendered out with the internal temp gets 195-200 deg.

gcs

That's gonna be good Gcs.. I've got a butt rubbed down with Bad Bryan's getting ready for the smoker.

That is my favorite rub. Bad Byron's is what I rubbed down the bear and boston butt. :cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Should be good, bear is just beefpork, I've eaten a lot of it. Never noticed any weird taste from the fat either, unless it was freezer burt or something. People around here when I was growing up used to render out gallons of bear fat every year to use for cooking fat. I've eaten many a biscuit made with bear grease instead of lard.