My Grandmother Said It Was An "Indian Axe"

Big7

The Oracle
My Daddy found this on my Grandparents Homestead when he was a kid.

That tag is in my Grandmother's hand and she tied the not in that string. I remember it being in a drawer and her telling me about it when I was a very young kid. Tag says "near Loganville" and I suspect at the time she never would have thought anyone would know where "Youth" would be but that's actually where the farm was/is. She tried to keep everything for posterity so the note was generalized.

One thing puzzling to me is there is PLENTY of grey granite around there, obviously that wouldn't make a good axe and there was a lot of some kind of slate in the creeks and rivers that was pretty hard but I have no Idea where this kind of rock came from. I've rambled all around here and all the bordering counties and never seen any that big- only round river stones of that color and porosity and I'm not even sure it's the same rock.

Does anyone know the material and time period?
We go back to Cherokee and kin to Sequoia some kind of way but that's all I know without getting out the book. This looks older than that but I'm for sure not an expert.

PS.. My Grandmother's account is that Daddy found this when he was 14. That would have been 1955.
20231006_212439_HDR.jpg20231006_212450.jpg20231006_212455.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
Is this ^^^^^^ in the wrong sub forum to find out more about it?

Thanks.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That is a beauty. Best I could do was to find the back part of one of those. It was broken cleanly in the middle of the groove.