Waaayyy … Better than Easter Eggs………

Tentwing

This kind of a late post , but you know me . I try to never miss an opportunity to brag about my Little Rock Hunting Buddy ……
I have been going through radiation therapy, so my wife and I did not travel all the way down to Jefferson County for Easter. Instead my kids met us half way which is my old family farm in Chickamauga Georgia.
After we all got to eat and the little ones all huntEd eggs I was explaining to Miss Ava how this is the farm is where I grew up. She seemed puzzled by the news that her PawPaw had EVER been a little boy :unsure::ROFLMAO: I told her how I used to fish , hunt,and feed cows, chickens, and explained to her what bailing hay meant. I told her all about raising a garden, and how we would plow the garden spot , and on occasion we had even found an Ava Rock there.
This immediately prompted the request to go look for rocks . Now I knew that between me and my 3 older brothers before me the garden spot had been hunted clean. ☹️ …… soo I tried to convince her that hunting rocks in the tilled dirt might ruin her little Easter dress and shoes , and her grandmother would “ beat her PawPaw” if she got dirty, but ……… no dice she told her mother that she had to change clothes to go hunting rocks with her PawPaw.
Soooo ……after a quick change of clothes and shoes we set out to go looking over the old garden spot. I showed her the small variety of freshly planted young plants, and explained to her to be careful not to step on them, because if they lived long enough they would make tomatoes, and corn and cucumbers etc……
For a time now when we would rock hunt together she would just bring me the rocks that she had found, and let tell her whether they were “throwing rocks or Ava Rocks “ , but today …to my surprise my ”now 5 year old “ big girl suddenly announced to me in a very excited voice …… “PawPaw I found an Indian rock “ :oops: suddenly to me my amazement of what she had in her little hand was surpassed only by the pride swelling up her grandfathers heart.❤️:)
She then placed in my hand what I consider to be the best point that my family has ever found on the old home place. Even my older brother Mike who has amassed by far the best collection in our family looked down at her , and said to her “ Ava sweetheart you are the rock hunting queen “ …… now she is a 5 year old girl so I am certain that she would still rather be the Princess, but she loves her Uncle Mike and any praises he offers her.:giggle:
… as usual I am not sure what she found, but I will stand by my earlier statement it is the most impressive point that has been found on the old family farm place.
1A5079B3-CDF0-4764-99E8-164345656490.jpeg
and of course the new Rock Hunting Queen…❤️
EF36FE12-3F2F-472C-9D7A-443372AB30E4.jpeg.
. Ladies and Gentlemen any help would be as always greatly appreciated. I would love to tell Ava that the GON peeps were able to tell her what she found. Her uncle Mike thought it might be a “Dalton “ , but was quick to tell her that he was not an expert ……… she didn’t care she and was quick to tell all her uncles that loved hunting rocks with her PawPaw ❤️……… Thanks in advance Folks ,……… Tentwing

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

That is a super nice point. You have a beautiful little granddaughter….I know you are so proud as you should be. That is a very special find. I would have a plaque or shadow box made that included y’all’s picture together just so she would always remember that special time for many many years. (y)

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
This kind of a late post , but you know me . I try to never miss an opportunity to brag about my Little Rock Hunting Buddy ……
I have been going through radiation therapy, so my wife and I did not travel all the way down to Jefferson County for Easter. Instead my kids met us half way which is my old family farm in Chickamauga Georgia.
After we get to eat and the little ones all hunt eggs I am explaining to Miss Ava how this farm is where I grew up. She seemed puzzled by the news that her PawPaw had EVER been a little boy :unsure::ROFLMAO: I told her how I used to fish , hunt, feed cows, chickens, and explained to her what bailing hay meant. I told her above raising a garden, and how we would plow the garden spot , and on occasion had even found an Ava Rock there.
This immediately prompted the request to go look for rocks . Now I knew that between me and my 3 older brothers before me the garden spot had been hunted clean. ☹️ …… soo I tried to convince her that hunting rocks in the tilled dirt might ruin her little Easter dress and shoes , and her grandmother would “ beat her PawPaw” if she got dirty, but ……… no dice she told her mother that she had to change clothes to go hunting with PawPaw.
Soooo ……after quick change of clothes and shoes we set out looking over the old garden spot. I showed her the small variety of young plants, and explained to her to be careful not to step on them, because if they lived long enough they would make tomatoes, and corn and cucumbers etc……
For a time now she would just bring me the rocks that she had found, and let tell her whether they were “throwing rocks or Ava Rocks “ , but to my surprise my ”now 5 year old “ big girl suddenly announced to me in a very excited voice …… “PawPaw I found an Indian rock “ The amazement of what she had in her little hand was surpassed only by the pride swelling up her grandfathers heart.❤️:)
She then placed in my hand what I consider to be the best point that my family has ever found on the old home place. Even my older brother Mike who has amassed by far the best collection in our family looked down at her , and said to her “ Ava sweetheart you are the rock hunting queen “ …… now she a 5 year old girl so I am certain that she would still rather be the Princess, but she loves her Uncle Mike and any praises he offers her.:giggle:
… as usual I am not sure what she found, but I will stand by my earlier statement it is the most impressive point that has been found on the old family farm place.
View attachment 1229373
View attachment 1229381.
. any help would be as always greatly appreciated. I would love to tell Ava that the GON peeps were able to tell her what she found. Her uncle Mike thought it might be a “Dalton “ , but was quick to tell her that he was not an expert ……… she didn’t care she was quick to tell all her uncles that loved hunting rocks with PawPaw ❤️……… Thanks in advance Folks ,……… Tentwing
That’s a treasure. The grand child that is. !!
Does the point has a similar bevel to it but the other way.

Couple more pics at different angles.

She did greatt.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
After we get to eat and the little ones all hunt eggs I am explaining to Miss Ava how this farm is where I grew up. She seemed puzzled by the news that her PawPaw had EVER been a little boy :unsure::ROFLMAO: I told her how I used to fish , hunt, feed cows, chickens, and explained to her what bailing hay meant. I told her above raising a garden, and how we would plow the garden spot , and on occasion had even found an Ava Rock there.
This immediately prompted the request to go look for rocks . Now I knew that between me and my 3 older brothers before me the garden spot had been hunted clean. ☹️ …… soo I tried to convince her that hunting rocks in the tilled dirt might ruin her little Easter dress and shoes , and her grandmother would “ beat her PawPaw” if she got dirty, but ……… no dice she told her mother that she had to change clothes to go hunting with PawPaw.
Soooo ……after quick change of clothes and shoes we set out looking over the old garden spot. I showed her the small variety of young plants, and explained to her to be careful not to step on them, because if they lived long enough they would make tomatoes, and corn and cucumbers etc……
For a time now she would just bring me the rocks that she had found, and let tell her whether they were “throwing rocks or Ava Rocks “ , but to my surprise my ”now 5 year old “ big girl suddenly announced to me in a very excited voice …… “PawPaw I found an Indian rock “ The amazement of what she had in her little hand was surpassed only by the pride swelling up her grandfathers heart.❤️:)
She then placed in my hand what I consider to be the best point that my family has ever found on the old home place. Even my older brother Mike who has amassed by far the best collection in our family looked down at her , and said to her “ Ava sweetheart you are the rock hunting queen “ …… now she a 5 year old girl so I am certain that she would still rather be the Princess, but she loves her Uncle Mike and any praises he offers her.:giggle:
View attachment 1229373
View attachment 1229381.
. any help would be as always greatly appreciated. I would love to tell Ava that the GON peeps were able to tell her what she found. Her uncle Mike thought it might be a “Dalton “ , but was quick to tell her that he was not an expert ……… she didn’t care she was quick to tell all her uncles that loved hunting rocks with PawPaw ❤️……… Thanks in advance Folks ,……… Tentwing
Man! That is a museum-grade classic Dalton point. Old, old, old. Late/transitional Paleo. That is probably the nicest one I've ever seen come from anywhere outside the Midwest.

Tentwing

Love it, love it, love it, Gary! You're doing a great job, PawPaw.

My little Rock hunting queen last week.
View attachment 1229462
Wes , brother now I know you have shotguns ……… but you don’t own near enough :ROFLMAO: . She is breathtaking …. Them beautiful rock hunting buddies will eventually give their proud father/grandfather a bunch of gray hair;) ❤️

Tentwing

It`s even enterline fluted. What does the other side look like?
Nic . It went home with her father for safe keeping. The next time I am down to Braselton I will photograph both sides and find this thread a post better pictures. My brother thought it might be a Dalton, but he is quick to point out that he is more of a finder not a researcher? I knew that it was more significant than any other point found on the old home place. I have found several there that Dr Laramie at UGA called Big Sandy’s and stemmed Kirks , but only one had that dark of flint.

twtabb

Tell her mommy and daddy to go ahead and get some good locks on windows and doors. In about 10-12 years them boys will come a knocking. She is a beautiful little girl.
I have a picture of mine when she was about 5 walking the field with me looking for points. Priceless.
Great post.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
That is a mighty fine point ! It’s the beautiful eyes that make her the rock hunting queen

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It was probably thin enough to haft without fluting the other side. Some Clovis points are only fluted on one side for that reason too. With the slight shoulders on that point I would guess that it had been lightly retouched while it was hafted.

That`s an almighty nice point.