My turkey population

I’m in the plains/Parrott area of Terrell cty, and have seen over the past fours years my turkey population looks to be going down hill. With the hog problem getting worse year by year I was just curious to see if any one thinks like me that the hog my be playing a hand in the low turkey count now days . Just my thoughts . There are coyotes here as well, along with a pile of crows.
Thanks - Concerned about the future of the wild turkeys.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Lot of hogs all through there. Just about every branch and head of woods has hogs now. Used to not be that way too bad, but it is now. I can remember when there weren`t any hogs in that country.

It`s not a popular thought, but if you are supplemental feeding and hogs find it, they gonna stay where the feed is. And hogs and crows do as much damage to ground nesting birds as coons, skunks, and possums do.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We are ate up with turkeys here. You can't even grow anything for them. I see flocks of 40-50 all winter. And we re also ate up with coyotes.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
I don't think it is the hogs. We have hogs everywhere down here and have since I was a kid. Plenty of Turkeys around where the habitat is right, and the hogs will be right there with them.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I don't think it is the hogs. We have hogs everywhere down here and have since I was a kid. Plenty of Turkeys around where the habitat is right, and the hogs will be right there with them.

Ya`ll have hogs down there since the year 1539.

mossyoakpro

They could return....stay with it. That's a good area of the state for turkeys. And kill the predators any time you see them.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
According to the archaeological record, turkeys flourished all over this country from at least 12,000 years ago in spite of predators of every kind, some that are still here and some that are now extinct. It appears that their actual problems began less than 200 years ago.

Reckon why that is?

dutchman

According to the archaeological record, turkeys flourished all over this country from at least 12,000 years ago in spite of predators of every kind, some that are still here and some that are now extinct. It appears that their actual problems began less than 200 years ago.

Reckon why that is?

"We have met the enemy and he is us."

Attachments

• pogo.jpg
    pogo.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 256

Swamprat

Swamprat
200 years ago for the next 150 or so....market hunters. They came close to wiping out a lot of bird species.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
We've always had turkey and hogs on our club in Johnson county. We have more hogs now than we ever have. I've heard more gobbling this year than I have in a long time. The timber company 5th row cut several hundred acres about 4 years ago. This is the areas that we are hearing and hunting turkeys in for the most part. I think it's the right kind of habitat for them to nest and raise poults. We see flocks of 20-30 in these areas during deer season. I'd bet that the population is affected by the type of and amount of good habitat