National Ocean Policy!???

Bryannecker

The National Ocean Policy as a so-called conservation was discussed and critiqued in the March issue of Saltwater Sportsman by a writer for that publication, Rip Cunningham. I have previously posted on the signing of an executive order by our current president. That signing is nothing more than a repackaging of the Oceans 21 initiative, and end run around the U. S. Congress. I offered a retort to that article and it has been published in the June issue of that magazine. For the full gist of it you can read the full text from that publication. You may want to buy one at the newsstand if your are not a subscriber to it.

This is intended to be an alert to the danger of that turn of events. It will impact each and every one of us as fishermen and coastal dwellers. So, for freedom’s sake, read it and know what it really means. My letter will be a real eye-opener for you.

On the local front, and as an extension of that national development, an article was published in the Savannah Morning News Sunday edition of May 29, 2011, under the title of “Ocean Exchange packs a global punch.” Mary Carr Mayle is the reporter and she can be reached at 912-652-0323, for your comments and observations.

Please read it, too. Note the similarity with the goals of Oceans 21 and the executive order of our president. On page 4B there is a recap of the members of the board of that body of elite business and governmental personnel. This Savannah Ocean Exchange has a few persons of particular note such as : Dan Laffoley, marine vice chair, International Union for Conservation of Nature’s World Commission on Protected Areas. Does the concept of Marine Protected Areas or MPA’s come to mind?

Another is Eric C. Schwaab, assist administrator for fisheries, NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service. Then there is Irene Reynolds Schier, secretary and trustee, Sapelo Foundation. The list goes on but conspicuously absent is anyone with a fishing background who represents the interests of us as common men devoted to the fishing.

We are totally left out, just as we are in the planning and management of the direction of fisheries. Even included in elite board is Albert C. Zapanta, president and CEO, Mexico Chamber of Commerce and Paz Resources, LLC.

Again, no common fishermen on that board, and they have appointed themselves to determine the direction of the usage of our coast. Ask yourselves why that has happened? Please read the full article and form your own conclusions. Please ask questions, make inquiry and form your own opinions and let your elected officials know that we are not represented on such boards! There is to be an annual conference of said forum on September 7-8, 2011, at which ten finalists will via for the prize of $100,000.00.

That prize is ostensibly for the best solution to our ocean problems. If it is an open meeting, plan to attend. But I am sure that it will be closed to the public.

Thanks for any comments and observations.
Capt. Jimmy Newman :banginghe