New Black Powder Store.

kaslumber

I am considering opening a Black Powder shop that would lean toward traditional BP weapons and accessories. I will be partnering with a friend that has a Business with an FFL. Would also have a web-site to accommodate mail order. New and used rifles, shotguns, pistols. It seems every time I need balls, primers, cleaning supplies, etc. I go home empty handed and disappointed after a long drive. I would appreciate any input from GON members.

Thanks,
Keith

whitworth

lordy,

over the years, I've seen many a sporting goods store, a hunting store, a gun store, a black powder store, an archery store, all fade out of sight in the Atlanta area.

I still have some good stuff from places that are gone with the wind. Rifle, bows, reloading equipment, etc., etc.

The older I got, it seemed the longer the travel out to the boondocks it was.

Must be that a lot of big city residents don't hunt at all.

Good luck to you.

hawgrider1200

It isnt the fault of the store owners that u go home empty handed. A small mom and pop store can not keep the inventory in the store like the larger chains. Even recently the larger chains could not keep us supplied. If BPS can't keep stock on shelves nobody can.
Same with Midway USA, they have all been out of stock on lots of items. Wasn't like that until folks got skeered and bought every thing everybody had. Who knows, Roswell may be just the place for a black powder store.

tv_racin_fan

Raddle Fraddle Maddle Fraddle...

Good luck with your store and my son and I will be coming by to check it out when you open.

kaslumber

Inventory Items

Wanted to know which items you have a difficult time finding. If I buy a new (different) caliber rifle, pistol, shotgun etc. I can't find bullets, balls, pyrodex, or anything other than items you can buy at a good Wal-Mart during archery or BP season. I drove all over town looking for .451 cal balls or conical bullets. No luck. I found very few lead projectiles for BP anywhere. This started before Obama. Listening to your customers is how you stay in business, whether the business is large or small.

tv_racin_fan

Don't see round ball at the typical gun shop or Wal Mart. Don't see anything in the way of 45 caliber or 54 caliber projectiles either. Real flints, mostly find those cut agates... real black powder.

Whiteeagle

Hurry and get up & runnin. Need a place to get rb's, patches, powder, magnum caps,nipples, and cleaning supplies . Don't mind the ride if I can get the goods. Post your opening!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
True blackpowder. As in DuPont Goex. Hard to find any down this way.

hawgrider1200

Black Powder

True blackpowder. As in DuPont Goex. Hard to find any down this way.

How much u want nic? BPS in Macon had it last time I was in there and I think U have a brother in Macon that u could probably get to pick up some for u.

KLR650

I strike out most every time looking for real BP and every time looking for anything .54

hawgrider1200

I strike out most every time looking for real BP and every time looking for anything .54
Order online and u can find 54 cal balls and conicals. I find the 54 cal conicals at BPS and the local mom n pop gunshop.

Flintrock

I am considering opening a Black Powder shop that would lean toward traditional BP weapons and accessories. I will be partnering with a friend that has a Business with an FFL. Would also have a web-site to accommodate mail order. New and used rifles, shotguns, pistols. It seems every time I need balls, primers, cleaning supplies, etc. I go home empty handed and disappointed after a long drive. I would appreciate any input from GON members.

Thanks,
Keith

I suggest you contact another shop that specializes in blackpowder arms . Everyone on the forum can tell you how good it sounds but someone already in the business can tell you what you are really getting into.
contact one from another state so thet they will not feel like you are invading on their turf.

Cknerr

Keith,
I really hope you are successful. Certainly would point people in your direction.

If you do, take consignemnts? It sure would be nice to have an outlet for some of the stuff coming out of my shop.

Anything further happening? Please keep us updated as things progress.

Best of luck!
Chris

Darkhorse

I wouldn't invest my life savings in a BP shop. Sure I'd love to run one but I just can't see it doing much buisness after the new wore off. The only reason I'd travel to one is to view custom built longrifles or custom beaded bags and straps, or scrimshawed horns.
So how many $2-3000. rifles do you think you'll sell? And what is your profit margin after the builder is paid?

Most every thing you will sell can be bought off a website and usually from the maker of the item. I buy everything this way and don't waste time looking for something nobody carrys.
I buy my powder a 25 pound case at a time at discount. Anybody can do this.

You mentioned a website. I would focus hard on that for sustaining the buisness. This would also reach us rural types that won't go to a big city for nuthin..

Personally I hope it works out. When I retire I'll probably build a few for public sale. It would be nice to put a couple on consignment with you. Maybe even sell one I've got and build a couple more.

choctawlb

It would be great to see a true BP store in Georgia. The one thing you can't find now is the higher grade black powders such as "Swiss" and other brands. They burn a lot cleaner and give more ump per grain, yet they are a true black powder. It is also hard to find Fg and courser grinds of black powder around here. I shoot some large bore smoothies, and they don't do too well with FFg and finer grinds Hope things work out for ya.
Ken