New Clover Plots

ventilator

These Durana plots have not been the easiest to establish on my farm i bought a year ago. These were freshly cleared feb 2021. Soil test indicated 5.5Ph and needed some P&K as well. So far ive dumped 1500lbs of pellet lime on one plot (1/2 acre) and 500lbs (1/3 acre) on the other. Frost seeding failed last year and was full of weeds. Sprayed , mowed and did a fall planting of durana with winter rye. Rye grew 4-5" and then pretty much died. Clover was showing signs of life. Did another frost seeding early feb. Appears to be working much better this time. These pics are from yesterday. Nice carpet of clover. I pulled a cultivator through part of the plots prior to frost seeding. Looking much better and the lime and fertilizer should be starting to improve the soil somewhat by now.

Attachments

• IMG_3420.jpg
    IMG_3420.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3421.JPG
    IMG_3421.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3422.JPG
    IMG_3422.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 61

Elkbane

Just a suggestion - if you ever have to put the cultivator on it again, run a chain link fence drag over it to knock down the humps, then seed it, then drag it again.
When you seed the small clover seed, it bounces around and you invariably get seed accumulation in the valleys and its sparse on the humps. Or rain hits the tiny clover seed, dislodges it and bounces it into the valleys. In my experience, its always better to have the seed lightly covered, plus you wont have those ridges to ride over when you have to mow or fertilize the plots.

And I'd add in some medium red clover or balansa also to keep both fill in the gaps and extend the grazing period. Looks like you have a good start!

Elkbane

GeorgeShu

Gotta be patient establishing Durana. Pretty sensitive to ph. Get your ph over 6.5 and fertilize annually per soil test recommendations. It takes a couple of years in my experience. Slow to establish as it develops a good root system before making a lot of top growth. My Durana does not grow very tall partly because the deer keep it mowed down to lip level.
I have one durana plot that is about 15 yrs old and second one about 8 yrs old. They produce year around. Control summer grasses with chemicals and bushhog to control broadleaves.
I overseed with durana seed each fall when I overseed with grains. I also no till these plots and they just keep producing.

Good luck, do it right and you will enjoy them for many years. Best bang for the buck plots out there.

ventilator

Thanks for the input! I am trying to decide if its better to over seed with Rye again this fall or Wheat. I am assuming the ph wont change much by then if any. I am thinking rye will probably grow better this time.

Gut_Pile

Rye Grain or Wheat will work great

You don't want rye grass

Ihunt

Thanks for the input! I am trying to decide if its better to over seed with Rye again this fall or Wheat. I am assuming the ph wont change much by then if any. I am thinking rye will probably grow better this time.

Imo, deer will eat the pats or wheat better but Rye will come up in a truck bed so if it’s ease of establishment you want use the Rye. Your ph should start changing especially since you limed last year. You may be pleasantly surprised come this fall.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I think from a "deer preference standpoint", their order of choice would be oats, then wheat, then cereal rye ..... but deer do eat them all, but they eat different things at different times of the year.

Some oldies but goodies, just for reference.

Crude protein.JPG
Proudction of cool season crops.JPG
Peak Utilization.JPG
Clover vs wheat.JPG
Deer diet by season.JPG
Nutritional Requirements.jpg

Jim Boyd

Looking great.

Congrats on the farm purchase! Awesome!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Gotta be patient establishing Durana. Pretty sensitive to ph. Get your ph over 6.5 and fertilize annually per soil test recommendations. It takes a couple of years in my experience. Slow to establish as it develops a good root system before making a lot of top growth. My Durana does not grow very tall partly because the deer keep it mowed down to lip level.
I have one durana plot that is about 15 yrs old and second one about 8 yrs old. They produce year around. Control summer grasses with chemicals and bushhog to control broadleaves.
I overseed with durana seed each fall when I overseed with grains. I also no till these plots and they just keep producing.

Good luck, do it right and you will enjoy them for many years. Best bang for the buck plots out there.
This is spot on advice.
It take 2 years to get a perennial clover plot established.
I do all the things George does and the farm I sold 2 years ago had duranna,crimson,patriot,medium red and ladino.Had clover being eaten year round.

Long Cut

I agree with the above posts.

Durana needs to be paired with at least 1 variety of red clover and a nurse crop of oats, wheat or cereal rye. Chicory does good as well but is slow to establish so it’s not a viable nurse crop.

I’m really enjoying Medium Red Clover, Durana & Crimson clover mixed with oats and chicory.

PH needs to be 6-6.5 with Durana to really flourish, but the red clovers do good in the upper 5’s in a bind.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I am liking the 3 clover mix, with the medium red clover, more and more all the time. It "might" last 2 years in middle Georgia, but with it's longer roots, will not go dormant as quickly as the white clovers will, in the heat of the summer.

This is what my medium red clover looked like on 9-3-2021 ..... I should've taken a picture of the complete longer root.

Medium Red Clover 9-3-2021.jpg