New "ghost gun" policy

menhadenman

Nimrod71

I don't see the big deal about putting serial numbers on Ghost Guns. How many of us really have them? There are still many regular guns out here without numbers. If I remember correctly guns weren't required to have serial numbers until 1968, therefore that are non-Ghost Guns in the market without serial numbers. Folks this is all just politics. The demorats are up in arms over all the murders and killings being committed and the only thing they can jump on in our poor old guns. You have to remember Guns don't vote so they have to lay there and take it.

The thing we all have to remember is the Pen is mightier than the gun. With the simple signing of a document/law everything can change. We as U. S. Citizens must do all we can to Elect people that have the Good of our Country in their hearts and will Vote for the right things.

Big7

The Oracle
I just don't really think that this is much of a problem, they're exaggerating something that doesn't exist except in a very, very small niche. If nothing else, they are drawing attention to it, and may get more people interested.
That's EXACTLY what they are doing.
Special Interest bull chips.
Lip service nobody will go along with.
I WON'T.

Meantime, I can build a black powder canon, tripod and all in 1 day that can shoot Campbell's Soup cans full of concrete, shot, nails and whatever else you want out of schedule 80 DOM or even pipe and a few odd pieces of angle, channel round or square tube and a welding machine. Might truck mount or put wheels on it.

Coor's Light Wide Mouth Aluminum Bottles make an excellent projectiles full of concrete or whatever you want to fill them with. Devastating.

That's what a friend told me anyhow. :wink:

ryanh487

that isn't correct...the Ghost Guns they are referring to are 80% kits that don't require a 4473. Filed off serial numbers is something else

the pistol kits take less that 30 minutes

yet they are able to order an 80% kit on line just as you are

And it's not legal for them to do so. I can order a lot of illegal things online. So can you. I'd rather them attempt to make their own (the kits are not reliable if you're not good at what you're doing) than steal a reliable one. Now that 3d printers exist there is no such thing as eliminating ghost guns, only making them illegal for law abiding citizens while criminals keep making them.

ryanh487

I don't see the big deal about putting serial numbers on Ghost Guns. How many of us really have them? There are still many regular guns out here without numbers. If I remember correctly guns weren't required to have serial numbers until 1968, therefore that are non-Ghost Guns in the market without serial numbers. Folks this is all just politics. The demorats are up in arms over all the murders and killings being committed and the only thing they can jump on in our poor old guns. You have to remember Guns don't vote so they have to lay there and take it.

The thing we all have to remember is the Pen is mightier than the gun. With the simple signing of a document/law everything can change. We as U. S. Citizens must do all we can to Elect people that have the Good of our Country in their hearts and will Vote for the right things.

The point of 80% kits that you can build from home is that they are registration proof. There is no record anywhere that that gun exists. I prefer it that way as do many like me that don't trust the government. The 80% kits aren't legally firearms and can be ordered without having to go through an FFL. They're trying to declare them firearms and force you to go through an FFL and leave a paper trail. There's no purpose in that except government visibility to control. The government doesn't need to know who has guns or how many, they just need to know that they'll be subject to them if they take things too far.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The point of 80% kits that you can build from home is that they are registration proof. There is no record anywhere that that gun exists. I prefer it that way as do many like me that don't trust the government. The 80% kits aren't legally firearms and can be ordered without having to go through an FFL. They're trying to declare them firearms and force you to go through an FFL and leave a paper trail. There's no purpose in that except government visibility to control. The government doesn't need to know who has guns or how many, they just need to know that they'll be subject to them if they take things too far.
I don't think they need to be regulated, but I also just don't think they're that common to begin with. I've owned guns for fifty years, and I have never built or owned a "ghost gun," nor do I know anybody personally who has, out of a whole lot of hardcore gun guys. I also don't think your average street criminal has the tools, equipment, or know-how to build these things. It's a lot easier just to buy a gun from somebody else, or steal one.

Jester896

Senior Clown
My ghost gun runs like a top!
I have seen some pretty messed up MSR lowers… they wouldn’t run well for sure.
Wouldn’t be hard to strip a gen 3 or older Glock and discard the serialized part so you aren’t guilty of possessing a stolen gun when you committed another crime
Ghost guns are turning up at more and more crime scenes… Google it.

Here is my Ghost

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

Slide is by Thrash Tactical

Last edited:

Nimrod71

I think its about Ghost Guns taking over a larger part of market sales. If everyone started making their own look at how much money the government would loose in taxes. Sales for S & W, Glock, Colt, Ruger, Sig and all the other hand gun makers would drop considerably.

transfixer

What they are saying they are going to do will have little to no effect on crime, or shootings, its just another step in where they want to go, and it appeases the small section of their base that supports them, if you want a layman's explanation go to YT and search Guns and Gadgets,, and the VSO gun channel,

If anything all this will do is increase the number of firearms manufacturers,, as those few companies that were making 80% lowers that didn't have an FFL ,, will now get an FFL and just make serialized lowers,, which I suppose the feds are okay with because then they will get license fees and such,,

The really stupid part of all this is the people that are coming up with these laws or rules,, know little to nothing about firearms in the first place

It seems like an open and shut case in court- this executive order is unconstitutional. Even John Roberts would have to agree that this type of restriction would need to come from congress, not the stroke of a president's pen.

menhadenman

I don't think they need to be regulated, but I also just don't think they're that common to begin with. I've owned guns for fifty years, and I have never built or owned a "ghost gun," nor do I know anybody personally who has, out of a whole lot of hardcore gun guys. I also don't think your average street criminal has the tools, equipment, or know-how to build these things. It's a lot easier just to buy a gun from somebody else, or steal one.

I’ve seen about 30 in three or four different homes - all upstanding guys that just like to tinker like we do with ARs. I think they could be more common in other parts of the country. I do think you’re right that criminals that can’t spell or change a tire probably ain’t the ones this will influence.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve seen about 30 in three or four different homes - all upstanding guys that just like to tinker like we do with ARs. I think they could be more common in other parts of the country. I do think you’re right that criminals that can’t spell or change a tire probably ain’t the ones this will influence.
Yeah, it's a niche thing, I think. Like I said, I've never seen one, and half my friends are hardcore gun nuts.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I showed you one in post #27 :D

the ATF has recovered Ghost Guns in 38 states, DC, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands...pretty big niche. Close to 2,500 IIRC

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I showed you one in post #27 :D

the ATF has recovered Ghost Guns in 38 states, DC, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands...pretty big niche. Close to 2,500 IIRC
I'm talking about in real life. I'd say that they are a tiny, tiny fraction of the overall guns in this country.

I don't see anything wrong with them. If somebody shoots me, I don't care if the gun had a serial number or not.

Nimrod71

This is all politics. Serial numbers or not the killings and murders will continue on. You have got to keep in mind these are politicians and they are just trying to do things to keep their jobs. Criminals will find a way to get guns numbers or no numbers.

In a recent drug bust in Vidalia the criminals had two AK's a pump riot shotgun and six hand guns. I am sure they didn't have these to protect themselves from law abiding citizens or the police.

Jester896

Senior Clown
didn't they get shot down, pun intended, when they tried to get the manufactures of them to turn over lists of how many they sent where or to all the FFL and non FFL sellers?

someone got a hand slap from the ATF for the way they were selling kits with serialized pistols in the kits didn't they?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I just fail to see the big deal with this either way...

I don't want a ghost gun, but I don't care if anyone else does. If it makes you feel good to "make" a gun from some unserialized "kit", rock on! Enjoy yourself and your toys, that's what it's all about anyway.

I've got one or two old enough there IS NO number. I have another one I bought off the street 30 years ago, that can't be traced to me. I have a couple that I filled out 4473s on....

So, what? It doesn't matter.

If "they" ever decide to come for me, there is plenty of training, records, certificates, and "other evidence" in the dossier that digging thru 4473s looking for one attached to me won't even make a blip on the radar.

I was involved in a couple of federal investigations during my law enforcement career, and I was AMAZED at what "they" knew even 30 years ago.

Basically, if you have a drivers license, and a social security number, they already "know".

And that goes double if you have ever had any "training" or "experience".

Ghost guns are a complete non-issue.

Unless you are a liberal politician, desperate to look like you are "doing something".

Sorry for the rant...