New guy looking to tag along

Joehales90

Hey guys I'm up here I'm md. Been down a few times stalking public land. Used to be an avid rabbit hunter when I still had my dogs but they got old and I got married and family'd up... no more dogs... for now. Super interested in doing a dog hog hunt if any of you guys have room for a guy to tag along??? I know dogs aren't cheap to keep, don't mind throwing a few bucks toward food/gas whatever. Thanks in advance guys. I'm off most Fridays (would drive down Thursday night). I'm about 8 hours from the sc/ga line

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I hope you get an invite . It’s pretty exciting and when I use to do it 25 years ago we would have been glad to have someone to help .

Joehales90

Me too. The ones I've watched online are mostly knife kills once they're pinned by the pits... is that the only way it's done? Or do some use 22's etc to dispatch? Or post up and wait for dogs to run em by like rabbit/deer hunters would?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
The guys I hunted with caught most of them alive and sold to hunting clubs or a preserve , even some of these penned hunt outfits . It may of not been legal but it wasn’t regulated like it is now . Probably how they spread in such a hurry I’m sure . We would kill some that the dogs tore up to bad or if someone wanted one to eat or mount and we used a knife . Never used pits , always some type of cur dogs , like a crossed up ridgeback and birddog. We usually hunted at night in farm fields that they were damaging .