New Kayak Advice

Kilowatt

I could use some kayak advice. I am 5'8" 190lbs.
80% recreation 20% fishing in the future
I have looked at SOTS and SINKS. I really like the 10' boats. We went up to The Outside World.
I really liked the Redfish 10 and the Tarpon 100. Also went by Academy and looked at the Pelican castaway series.

I wanted to try a 10' SOT on the water. So, we went up to Broad River Outpost. They offered a three hour trip.
They put me in a OK Big Yak with(comfort plus) seat. We started down the river. The first thing that I noticed was the lack of lower back support.
I adjusted the seat several times to no avail.
There was virtually no padding on the seat bottom,so it was a tough ride. We would stop every hour to stretch.

My question is: Can you recommend a 10' SOT
that would provide comfort on a three hour trip?
Would a SINK be better for comfort?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Randy

The Big Yak is just a big stable boat, only good for a little playing in the surf IMO.

I prefer SOT as I fish mostly but a good SOT can also be a greta paddler and fast. I also like the fact that they don't swamp when turned over. You just flip them back over and get back on top. They also are generally more stable.

I recommend you get a yak that is about twice your weight capacity. You will be adding stuff like tackle, cooler, camping gear etc. If you get much over half the recommended weight capacity performance of the yak start going down. Rides lower in the water and is harder to paddle, turn etc. And for SOT more water will be in the cockpit.

I also recommend that you step up to a boat in the 12-13' length class. They track much better and are faster not to mention that they are usually more comfortable. AT nearly 200 lbs a 10' yak is going to be small for you.

I can only recommend Ocean Kayaks as some consider me biased if I give the pros and cons of other manufacturers since I am on OK's pro staff. The best boat in our fleet IMO is the Trident 13 but you can probably get by with the Trident 11.

deerhunter09

I'm no expert, but I agree that a 10 footer is too small. One word of advice is to pay close attention to the seat, if it doesn't have much in the way of padding, it makes for a pretty uncomfortable situation.
I wouldn't get anything shorter than a 12 foot boat.

Kilowatt

Hey guys, Thanks for the great advice. It seems everyone is suggesting the longer boat.That may be the better option.
My biggest concern was portability. I will be transporting with the truck.
This boat will spend its time on rivers(Toccoa,Tugalo) and the occasional pond.

I noticed on several boats,the seat is slightly suspended. I do
like the raised seating configuration of the canoe. Which SOT
kayak comes close to this seating arrangement?
The inflated cushion is another great idea.

Randy

Hey guys, Thanks for the great advice. It seems everyone is suggesting the longer boat.That may be the better option.
My biggest concern was portability. I will be transporting with the truck.
This boat will spend its time on rivers(Toccoa,Tugalo) and the occasional pond.

I noticed on several boats,the seat is slightly suspended. I do
like the raised seating configuration of the canoe. Which SOT
kayak comes close to this seating arrangement?
The inflated cushion is another great idea.
The higher you raise up the more unstable the yak will be.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i too would recommend the 12 foot boats. mine are still totable with the heaviest being 55 lbs. i have a 12 foot native ultimate and a guide 119 solo canoe that get the most use.

FishingAddict

The Big Yak is just a big stable boat, only good for a little playing in the surf IMO.

I prefer SOT as I fish mostly but a good SOT can also be a greta paddler and fast. I also like the fact that they don't swamp when turned over. You just flip them back over and get back on top. They also are generally more stable.

I recommend you get a yak that is about twice your weight capacity. You will be adding stuff like tackle, cooler, camping gear etc. If you get much over half the recommended weight capacity performance of the yak start going down. Rides lower in the water and is harder to paddle, turn etc. And for SOT more water will be in the cockpit.

I also recommend that you step up to a boat in the 12-13' length class. They track much better and are faster not to mention that they are usually more comfortable. AT nearly 200 lbs a 10' yak is going to be small for you.

I can only recommend Ocean Kayaks as some consider me biased if I give the pros and cons of other manufacturers since I am on OK's pro staff. The best boat in our fleet IMO is the Trident 13 but you can probably get by with the Trident 11.

I agree 100%. Only thing I would add is that I love my "SINK" (I've never seen that acronym but it cracks me up, cause they can sink,) mainly because of comfort.

It's a native ultimate 12, and the seat is "da bomb"- it's as comfy as a lawn chair. I could sit in it all day with out an ache or pain.

I also like it better because it's easier to keep all my gear in the boat.

But, if you think you may be prone to tip over (has not happened to me yet in my yak, knock on wood,) or if you want to play in decent sized surf or rapids, it might be a problem. It does have a skirt for the front and back, but I'm not sure how effective it would be for waves and rapids.

Now that I'm thinking about it- I do wonder if a sit in would be better if you dump when it comes to keeping your stuff in your boat.

My dad and I went striper fishing a while back in my canoe (built like my "sink",) and he decided to stand up like me (even though I begged him not to)...and we flipped. Did not lose anything but my hat and sunglasses....and the "pride" of saying I've never dumped a boat before. ;)

From what I hear about SOT kayaks, they may not fair as well unless everything is tied down.

Man, I type too much. ;)

Kilowatt

Thanks again for the advice. I have searched all week for the perfect boat.
Every time that I find one, I find another one that I like more.
I like the Redfish, but it does not have scupper holes in the seat area.
The Tarpons are nice,but slightly out of my price range of ($500-$600).
The Ocean Kayaks are nice,but I prefer a deeper molded seat back.
I looked at the Pelican castaways, but many people complain of leaks.
I may look at the BP Ascend FS12 again. I saw it yesterday and the front hatch lid looked weak.
I like the hatches on the Tarpons and Old Towns.

Any other yak to look at in my price range? Deeper molded seat back with scupper holes, good sealing hatch lid.
Thanks again for the help.

Randy

You say you want a deeper molded seat back but once you learn to paddle correctly you will see why it is better to sit more on top. Seat back is important but it should be provided by the seat, not the yak.

Kilowatt

You say you want a deeper molded seat back but once you learn to paddle correctly you will see why it is better to sit more on top. Seat back is important but it should be provided by the seat, not the yak.

You may be right. I think yesterday's experience may have tainted my opinion of the raised seat.
It seemed like the whole trip was spent adjusting the seat.Every time that I had it set,it would "ride" down.
My thoughts(and I could be wrong) are, that a more rigid seat back would not move as much.

crackerdave

I agree with the bigger boat.In your price range and for your planned use,I would think an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT or a similar boat would work for you.Definitely go with a sit-on-top! My sister bought another 'yak made by Pelican that looks to be a decent entry-level one, for the money.She also has a small Ocean Kayak -"Mistral," I think it's called.She is a paddler and doesn't fish.She just loves the quiet freedom of a kayak and the way you can approach wildlife so closely in one.Also,it's great exercise!

I have a 12' Mainstream "Kingfish" that I have been very happy with,but they are no longer made.It's very stable,as it has somewhat of a "tri-hull."I paid less than $600 for it,a paddle,and a good after-market seat. As you now know,a good seat is VERY important! Google "kayak seats" and there are several sources for one.Also look at some of the kayak fishin' forums for good info - here's one.There are many - it's a fast-growing sport!
www.georgiakayakfishing.com

7 point

yeah you sould go with the bigger yak im 6,2 and about 220lbs and I have A 14ft redfish the bigger the yak the more stable

Kilowatt

Small Update:
I spent yesterday at the box stores looking at yaks. Went to Academy,REI and Dicksports.
I tried to sit in several different yaks.
I found the most comfortable seat in a cheap SOT at Dicksports.
The seat had a flip up plastic back rest.It provided great lumbar support.
The yak was the Flex Carve. Looks to be a re-branded Emotion yak. Its's a small yak and would be perfect for my son.

Now that I found a good seat, I need to find a bigger yak. I went to Emotions site and found the Stealth Angler. Looks like a decent boat.

deerhunter09

My advice is to not buy from a box store, go to The Outside World or Go With The Flow and get a better brand of kayak. They are very knowledgeable at either place, and TOW even has a pool where you can test a boat before you buy.

MTMiller

Don't rule out the Wilderness Systems Ride 135 or Tarpon 120 or 140 (12' or 14'). These are great boats as well and the new high back seating system is very comfortable.

Seanmay1

You could always just get a different seat for what ever you buy. I have a 10ft SOT now and a crazy creek outfitters seat and its pretty comfortable

Kilowatt

All good advice, Thanks.
I would like to get a Tarpon,but they are slightly out of my price range.
I am looking for a 12' boat in the $500-$600 range.
We did go to TOW a few weeks ago. I saw the Tarpon and Redfish.
The 10' Redfish is within my budget,but may be too small.

DEERFU

Don't settle bud!!!! Save a little longer if you have too and get a GREAT boat. The OK's, wilderness, natives etc. etc. are just a little more. Good luck to ya which ever route you go.

BasserDrew

I want to see you get in the right kayak and like you appreciate how helpful folks are on this forum, especially guys like Randy who are always the first to reply and help someone get into a kayak. You've got a lot of good advice and some that may be misconceptions, but its all worth considering in your decision. As someone who designs fishing kayaks and works in the industry full time I hope I can help you out some more with these tips.

1. Most anglers think they need a longer kayak than they do. Then, they get something that is so big and cumbersome that they don't use it as much or have to get a trailer for it and launch it at places with boat launches. Well, you might as well be in a boat if that's where you're always going (unless you are just yak fishing for sheer sheer fitness factor). To most kayak fishing and recreational kayaking in general is about accessing the hard to reach water, because that is where the best scenery is and the best fishing. So, a 10-12ft kayak is where you should probably stay, I wouldn't go any longer than 12 for your size.

2. You stated you would be using it some in rivers. Well, for rivers you especially need a shorter kayak because they are easier to turn in the current, rapids and shoals. Speed is not crucial in river float trips when just relaxing or fishing. Occasionally you may paddle out of a trip to beat sunset or paddle through a slow section, but it really shouldn't be a big priority unless you are fishing salt or big lakes.

3. I agree with SeanMay who said that you can always get a different seat for your kayak and improve its comfort. Good point.

4. I also agree with those that said if you can save up and wait for a better kayak then it will likely be worth it.

A kayak I'm currently finishing up comes out in about two months, but unless you do like some others have mentioned and just wait and save then it will probably be out of your price range. It does have an unbelievable external frame seat (which is rare on a sit-on-top) and is just over 11ft, but guys 6'4 225 should be standing up and fishing out of it no problem. My bro-n-law fished out of the prototype with me 2 weeks ago and he is 5'11, 240 and has only kayaked once in his life and he was instantly standing out of it and fishing with no problem. Length does not = stability!! If you learn anything, learn that a longer boat does not necessarily mean a better boat for a bigger person. A 10ft NuCanoe has a 450lb weight capacity (or more really) and it is not long. Weight capacity can be achieved in a lot of ways, not just by being longer. A lot of it has to do with hull design and overall shape of the boat. Length usually adds to weight and cumbersomness (if thats a word) and hurts in turning. A happy medium is what you have to find for your needs. I think you're on the right track and best of luck!

You're also welcome to read this article on which watercraft is best for you. It is more geared towards rivers but should still be helpful.

http://www.riverbassin.com/site/2009/05/lesson-2-what-rivercraft-is-best-for-me/

:cheers:

PS. I'll be at the Macon, GA Bass Pro Shops all day Friday and Saturday if you want to come down and we'd be glad to show you some of the boats at BPS or even the prototype of the boat I've been working on.