New Taurus 9 mm

chuckdog

I failed to mention that I scored “expert” at the M-16 range at Fort Jackson, had the thrill of firing a tri-pod mounted M-60 from a Huey at Fort Hood but that was 1981

40 years is a long time.

Other than both being selfloading firearms the two weapons share little else in common.

With what little knowledge I have gained in my life, having someone that is comfortable, competent, and experienced with striker fired handguns to assist/train you is highly recommended.

Nimrod71

We have sold dozens of G2's and have not had any returned for failures to operate. The G2 and G3 models are good values for their cost. Dailer, I can't add anything to the above that has not be stated, follow the advice above and you should be alright. But remember if you aren't careful you will shoot yourself in the foot, leg , hip or worst shoot someone else. Treat all guns as if loaded, Guns are not toys to be played with. You can handle rattle snakes as long as you take the right precautions and treat it with respect.

Dialer

I sincerely hope the OP is kidding about this being his first firearm
This IS my first firearm Sir...My lifelong belief that a gun is the main ingredient that has landed many a man in a prison is statistically true. To me, HANDGUNS ARE TROUBLE! No matter HOW experienced you are. A gun can protect you when needed, true, but it can’t protect you from a jury of your “peers” that simply were not there at the situation that landed you there in the first place, so yes, through my own decision, I have kept away from them in fear of putting myself in a bad situation. The reason I bought THIS gun was for protection from rabid animals in my area on the suggestions of my new neighbors....

rosewood

My lifelong belief that a gun is the main ingredient that has landed many a man in a prison is statistically true.
Actually, alcohol has landed more men in prison than a firearm and is usually the reason a firearm had done so. Careless and lack of respect for a weapon is the problem, not the weapon. Glad you are starting out right by learning about the safety aspect.

Glad you are deciding to take the risk. We need more responsible gun owners out there.

Rosewood

Cmp1

BANNED
This IS my first firearm Sir...My lifelong belief that a gun is the main ingredient that has landed many a man in a prison is statistically true. To me, HANDGUNS ARE TROUBLE! No matter HOW experienced you are. A gun can protect you when needed, true, but it can’t protect you from a jury of your “peers” that simply were not there at the situation that landed you there in the first place, so yes, through my own decision, I have kept away from them in fear of putting myself in a bad situation. The reason I bought THIS gun was for protection from rabid animals in my area on the suggestions of my new neighbors....
IMO,,,,if you are going to be using it for the purpose you stated, I personally would have went another direction, again just my opinion, no offense meant,,,,

280 Man

Banned

With all due respect, I respect your opinion but we will simply have to agree to disagree. Your assumption is akin to saying the fork makes people fat or the car is at fault for the impaired driver.

People simply will not accept that they are actually the cause of their issue/problem and look to blame anything but the true cause. That's always the easiest path.

With that said, welcome to firearm ownership. If you are skiddish, find a qualified instructor and take some lessons on handling, cleaning and shooting. Good luck on your journey.

bullgator

Congrats on the new purchase. I’m going to agree with Gator89 and say use the Taurus for personal protection in the way of humans.
A Ruger 10/22 would be a better option for wild critters where the distance would be 20 yards or more. Being a shoulder fired gun, it will be much easier to be much more accurate.

transfixer

No offense meant, I just assumed someone on an outdoor forum would be familiar with firearms ? I have to agree with what someone else posted though, for protection from animals a shotgun or even 22cal rifle might actually serve the purpose better? and be a bit easier to handle accurately ?

natureman

Perfectly understandable position to have. As others mentioned in your situation the 9mm handgun might not have been the best choice. My suggestion would be to sell it or exchange it for a bolt action .22 rifle. Much more accurate and can easily dispatch a rabid racoon or fox which is the most common "sick" animal in our area. Also, consider practicing at a state shooting range as you can get a lot of great advice there. There is one near you at https://georgiawildlife.com/wilson-shoals-shooting-range

Last edited:

madsam

You need a 22 rifle or either a cheap single shot shotgun around the house.
Keep it in your golf cart and one certain place in the house.

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

Keep the 9mm. It works well on 2 legged critters. Then pick up a .22lr for the varmints. Ammo is still a major issue whatever you buy. There is currently no law that says you can't have both.

Rosewood

Nimrod71

To add to the others, Since you have already started you gun owner life I would add a good 22 and a good shotgun to my arms stash. You can pick up single shots for reasonable prices and select autos 22's for just a bit more. Pump shotgun come in several price levels and automatic shotguns get expensive unless you run up on a used one at a good price. For me it is easier for me to hit a moving target with a long gun than a hand gun.

Reactions: Dub