New to Georgia, where to hunt turkeys this year?

Ihunt

And good luck roosting one. I’ve hunted Missouri since 1987 and there’s no comparison.

Swamprat

Swamprat
If you can hunt the public mid-week. Crowds also taper off after a few weeks or when the first spring day hit's the low 80's or the first mosquito shows up...your pick.

After that you have a lot of the woods with just a few dedicated turkey killers.

Soon as deer season ends get out there and start scouting. Good luck and thanks to your wife for her service.:flag:

ssramage

I typically see most turkeys in the woods. Some in fields too. And in clear cuts. I usually don't see them in the water, so I wouldn't look there.

MissouriBoy

I typically see most turkeys in the woods. Some in fields too. And in clear cuts. I usually don't see them in the water, so I wouldn't look there.
So leave the scuba gear at home? Gotcha!

buckpasser

I killed a FL public land two year old once that was walking with his beard to his ******** in the water. When I shot he death flopped like a large duck, so maybe don’t rule all water out. Let’s say water over 16” deep. Carry on.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Have shot several in Central & South Florida that were sloshing thru 6-8" of water....instead of going around the flag pond they just went across. A waterlogged turkey from flopping in a pond is not a pretty site.

On the flip side have had hens duck under a barb wire cross fence with gobbler in tow and the gobbler hits the fence and hangs up gobbling his head off but would never duck under it to follow the hens. Dang gobbler would pace up and down the fence line gobbling and strutting till the hens finally worked back over to him.

Twiggbuster

I’ve hunted turkeys in this area for about 20 years and been successful almost every year.
Self taught basically. I’m in a private club but have hunted and scouted oaky, ocmulgee, bond and piedmont. The numbers are not like
they were when I started but sit tight and you never know. They are on Oaky , you just didn’t see them. Good luck and watch the ticks, mosquitoes and snakes.
Bears won’t bother you. See a coyote Kill It !!!!