North GA baiting vs turkeys

frankwright

I get tons of turkey pictures at the feeders I have running for hogs. I don't have permission to turkey hunt there but the pictures are awesome.
Three big strutting gobblers all with long beards spinning around a tripod corn feeder.
We cut the feeders off early so as not to get the turkey hunters in trouble and the turkeys stop showing up!

I had
Now there will probably be bait in the woods close by to my creek bottom wood duck hunting.
a neighbor that was feeding deer in his backyard which was about 100 yards from my swamp so I called the local DNR and I was told that as long as it isn’t in the water or on the bank at the waters edge then I was fine. As for turkey at our club we just cut down from 5 feeders to 2 during turkey season and we picked the ones where we don’t see very many turkey at anyways so we just stay clear of them. The turkey don’t really seem to like the feed that our deer eat anyhow.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I used to put out corn for about 10 months out of they year, and had trail cam pic with and without the corn, and I could detect no difference in there behavior. I have seen them walking straight thru it on their way to the cut grain fields near by,

Juan De

The turkeys are having a field day with the garden I planted I’m sure most of the corn I planted never got the chance to germinate, next few day will tell the tale.

MesquiteHeat

In the Southern Zone it's ruining turkey hunting and health. Birds congregate and now compete with other animals they wouldn't ordinarily have to for their food source. One they don't need but learn to rely on. It creates easy ambush sites and travel corridors for your predator population. Birds will generally roost closer, travel less, and nest with less diversity as far as timber habitat and elevation the more feeders per acreage on a club. As far as hunting, now EVERYBODY is a turkey hunter. Why? Because from deer season they've got great trail cam pics of gobblers and stand sightings that they would ordinarily never have without the bait. Gobbling decreases in some places because of it more than others and usually the post-corn gobbling is better than the roost, and why should he gobble on the limb when the hens will be in the bait spot? Anybody who thinks corn and baiting for deer won't impact their turkey hunting has a lot to learn. And of course the best part, the braggarts that couldn't get it done without the bait will come from corners of the county and places you've never heard of. They'll justify it with "It's for the deer" or, " I put that feeder there for my son (that he never wakes up) to kill one". Y'all gone learn

High road

It has become the new norm that most turkeys killed around here have corn in there crop or gizzard. Public or private it doesn't seem to matter. Ask the neighbors are yall feeding? You will here "naw", but all the gobbling is on their land and the ones we call across the line are full of corn. Seems to be that we are the odd balls because we do not.

KentuckyHeadhunter

When I started this thread a couple years ago this was the kind of answer I was looking for. Some very good points here.

The post above from MesquiteHeat #31.
The paste option didn't work sorry.