North Georgia grouse

Just moved back from Oklahoma, brought a beautiful little GSP pup back with us. This will be her first season hunting and I’m determined to try to get her on some grouse, I’m not looking for honey holes or anything because I already have a place in mind but any tip and tricks are much appreciated. As well as stuff to bring, this will also be my first season running a dog so lots of learning to be done!

Thanks in advance!

ddd-shooter

Just moved back from Oklahoma, brought a beautiful little GSP pup back with us. This will be her first season hunting and I’m determined to try to get her on some grouse, I’m not looking for honey holes or anything because I already have a place in mind but any tip and tricks are much appreciated. As well as stuff to bring, this will also be my first season running a dog so lots of learning to be done!

Thanks in advance!
We don’t have many anymore. Only tip I have is look for the thickest stuff you can find

KentuckyHeadhunter

Yeah it's a real treasure to flush one while hunting the mountains. A tiny heart attack too! Pretty rare these days.

That’s what make me want it even more! Hoping to at least take one this season. Anything more than that it’s icing on the cake.

lampern

Grouse numbers have declined across the Southern Appalachian mountains.

Look for thick, cutover mountainsides on public land unless you can access good private lands.

Lack of logging and cutting has not been good for grouse on national forest.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
There's a club in Dawson County called Etowah Valley Game Preserve. You might try them. They're pen-raised birds, but the habitat they release them in looks fun.

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
Find a burn or few year old clear-cut on the steepest ridges you can find. I jumped a bunch in some old burn areas a few years ago turkey hunting at the 4k+ elevations. If you are not seeing them pecking in the roads at daylight then there are not enough to hunt.

Bkeepr

Dawson Forest WMA is working on grouse habitat on Burnt Mountain Rd, there is a sign about it. The WMA has a very active Facebook group that the ranger(s?) participate in. Ask them.

Hillbilly stalker

I would love to see them make a comeback. Had fun grouse hunting as a chap.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Might have seen 5 in the last 10 years when I used to jump 20 to 30 in a day.

WOODIE13

Every hunter should decide for himself (herself) on whether or not to kill a grouse. I decided several years ago not to.
I can't believe they haven't reduced the limits

WOODIE13

It’s because hunter harvest is so low it doesn’t have an impact on the population. You could do away with grouse season in GA and they will continue to decline at the same rate.
I know, WV is the same way. Mature forests that used to be strip mines, fur market sucks and avian predators

turkeykirk

I used to see and hear them drum during my Spring NY Turkey hunts but haven’t heard anything the last 2 years. Sad.

lampern

It’s because hunter harvest is so low it doesn’t have an impact on the population. You could do away with grouse season in GA and they will continue to decline at the same rate.

Exactly.

They closed hunting seasons in Missouri and Indiana and the birds still disappeared.

turkeykirk

Exactly.

They closed hunting seasons in Missouri and Indiana and the birds still disappeared.
The same thing is happening in Western NY.