Georgia Grouse Study. DNA Samples Needed.

quaildoc

Are the lands where grouse historically inhabited in the southeast mostly federal land? Up here we have 2.2 million acres of State Forest(which they cut), 300,000 acres of State Parks and over 1.5 million acres of Game Lands. Our National Forest land is minimal(Allegheny National Forest) , 500,000 acres, although I've heard it's the most valuable National Forest due to all the Cherry on it. Our State Forests get cut, to a lesser extent so do our Game Lands, I believe.

Yes, a lot of the current grouse range is US Forest Service land. >50 years ago that was not the case.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Are the lands where grouse historically inhabited in the southeast mostly federal land? Up here we have 2.2 million acres of State Forest(which they cut), 300,000 acres of State Parks and over 1.5 million acres of Game Lands. Our National Forest land is minimal(Allegheny National Forest) , 500,000 acres, although I've heard it's the most valuable National Forest due to all the Cherry on it. Our State Forests get cut, to a lesser extent so do our Game Lands, I believe.
Here in western NC, they used to be everywhere, public and private, up until I was in my early 20s, then they started declining. Used to you would see them all the time pecking grit in the road, and would jump a couple every time you walked through the woods, and hear them drumming everywhere. It sure isn't hunting pressure, because even on the hundreds of thousands of acres of national park here where hunting isn't allowed, they have declined just like they have everywhere else.

Resica

Here in western NC, they used to be everywhere, public and private, up until I was in my early 20s, then they started declining. Used to you would see them all the time pecking grit in the road, and would jump a couple every time you walked through the woods, and hear them drumming everywhere. It sure isn't hunting pressure, because even on the hundreds of thousands of acres of national park here where hunting isn't allowed, they have declined just like they have everywhere else.
I hate it.

lampern

Doesn't Georgia restrict the dates to hunt grouse on certain national forest WMAs or are you allowed to hunt small game during deer season dates?

Rebel's Dad

Doesn't Georgia restrict the dates to hunt grouse on certain national forest WMAs or are you allowed to hunt small game during deer season dates?

It depends on the WMA. But most WMA deer seasons in the mountains are pretty short anyway. Even if it's allowed I personally won't hunt a WMA during a deer season.

The Forest Service locks some gates after deer season which essentially cuts off sections of the Forest to small game hunters, though it seems as if they lock less than they used to. They're opened back up for turkey season.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah small game hunters do not want to hunt during deer seasons
Yeah, they do. They just get treated like they're the Devil when they do.