Legal Action?

one_shot_no_mor

UPDATE on page 3…

I am looking for direction and advice...NOT a debate in open forum. Please message me or, if you choose, comment here with your personal experience...NOT your opinion. I WILL NOT be "arguing my case" in open forum...

Here's the scenario...
You are in a hunting club only one year with limited success. With a little work, predator maintenance, and herd maintenance you see potential for future good results and decide to stay another year. The club manager INCREASES already high dues for the following year and PUSHES for payment even before turkey season is over. You pay your dues, IN FULL, and the club manager tells you that you are the first one to pay.
Only a few weeks later, the club manager informs you that "we have lost the lease" and must remove all stands, feeders, campers, structures, etc. from the property in THE NEXT THREE WEEKS! When asked about refunding club dues, he says "I'm working on it."

Now, my question...
Who has been in a similar situation and what action did you take to get your money back? What legal (if there are any actual lawyers here...) action can be taken? Small claims, etc... If all the members (10) band together, can they file one claim together?

Again, I am looking for legit advice based on actual experience. If you can help, please do. If you want to start an argument or debate here, I won't be responding. Thanks!

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I had this same scenario occur about 30 years ago. In my case it was only a few hundred dollars. I never got a refund. It wasn’t worth pursuing legal avenues.

I just let it go and chalked it up to live and learn.

one_shot_no_mor

I had this same scenario occur about 30 years ago. In my case it was only a few hundred dollars. I never got a refund. It wasn’t worth pursuing legal avenues.

I just let it go and chalked it up to live and learn.
Thank you..."a few hundred dollars" is worth fighting for when you're old, retired and STILL RAMBUNCTIOUS!:tip:

Last edited:

sghoghunter

Just curious,was it paid with cash with receipt of payment,check with receipt of payment or cash and a handshake?

IIICrkRepr

I had it happen to me on a lease outside St George except it was after the season had started but before gun started. Got kicked off the lease for non payment, lease holder made a small deposit but kept the rest of the money from everyone. Had to pull all equipment in one weekend. I rounded up 2 other members, reached out to Legacy Wildlife who leased the land and told them what happened. They gave us another lease outside Fargo for $1 per acre to finish out the season. We ended up staying on that lease together for another 3 years before we relocated.

cowhornedspike

Not sure of the $ amount you are talking about but you would almost certainly win a judgement in small claims court. Collecting that judgement is another issue all together and may require putting a lien on a vehicle or other property to eventually collect.

one_shot_no_mor

I had it happen to me on a lease outside St George except it was after the season had started but before gun started. Got kicked off the lease for non payment, lease holder made a small deposit but kept the rest of the money from everyone. Had to pull all equipment in one weekend. I rounded up 2 other members, reached out to Legacy Wildlife who leased the land and told them what happened. They gave us another lease outside Fargo for $1 per acre to finish out the season. We ended up staying on that lease together for another 3 years before we relocated.
Can't back it up but my gut tells me that is EXACTLY what happened in this case...except the part about coming out WINNING in the end!:cry::cry:

westcobbdog

I am looking for direction and advice...NOT a debate in open forum. Please message me or, if you choose, comment here with your personal experience...NOT your opinion. I WILL NOT be "arguing my case" in open forum...

Here's the scenario...
You are in a hunting club only one year with limited success. With a little work, predator maintenance, and herd maintenance you see potential for future good results and decide to stay another year. The club manager INCREASES already high dues for the following year and PUSHES for payment even before turkey season is over. You pay your dues, IN FULL, and the club manager tells you that you are the first one to pay.
Only a few weeks later, the club manager informs you that "we have lost the lease" and must remove all stands, feeders, campers, structures, etc. from the property in THE NEXT THREE WEEKS! When asked about refunding club dues, he says "I'm working on it."

Now, my question...
Who has been in a similar situation and what action did you take to get your money back? What legal (if there are any actual lawyers here...) action can be taken? Small claims, etc... If all the members (10) band together, can they file one claim together?

Again, I am looking for legit advice based on actual experience. If you can help, please do. If you want to start an argument or debate here, I won't be responding. Thanks!
Take that person to small claims court in the county where it happened. Sounds like outright fraud to me but I wouldn't go there, instead sue for your club dues paid days before the lease was terminated. Better have proof of payment like a copy of your check and also have a witness in court like a club member who can attest to the amount due and that they can verify what exactly happened.

one_shot_no_mor

Take that person to small claims court in the county where it happened. Sounds like outright fraud to me but I wouldn't go there, instead sue for your club dues paid days before the lease was terminated. Better have proof of payment like a copy of your check and also have a witness in court like a club member who can attest to the amount due and that they can verify what exactly happened.
10 club members ALL singing the same song!

Todd E

I have no advice nor experience.

I just wanted to say that I hope this works out for all of you and that you get your money back. If it's the one I'm thinking of, you put forth a lot of effort when you joined it. Yet, you find yourself here in this situation. That stinks.

one_shot_no_mor

I have no advice nor experience.

I just wanted to say that I hope this works out for all of you and that you get your money back. If it's the one I'm thinking of, you put forth a lot of effort when you joined it. Yet, you find yourself here in this situation. That stinks.
Thanks buddy