not counting today and opening day

saltysenior

why wait ?? you can play with the turkeys before the seasdon and on a lot of land that has a good population.....the only thing is , you can not have a weapon .....the whole game is calling one in , right ??

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I don't mess with em but you're exactly right.
End Feb or early march I'm excited to go start listening. But I won't run a call to em till it's time to blast em. Rule I make on my turkey huntin properties is "either kill em or don't let them know whats happening"

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
End Feb or early march I'm excited to go start listening. But I won't run a call to em till it's time to blast em. Rule I make on my turkey huntin properties is "either kill em or don't let them know whats happening"
I agree , never make that mistake !

saltysenior

but there is a lt of public land that is not hunted....virgin turkeys to play with ..

Swamprat

Swamprat
Yep....preseason scouting never call to em.

Once in a great while on a new property or WMA will hit a crow call to see if I can get one to shock gobble but no turkey sounds what so ever.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
but there is a lt of public land that is not hunted....virgin turkeys to play with ..
I live next to National Forest and travel thru it almost daily. There is not a lot of public land that’s not hunted. Every year about this time the amount of road traffic greatly increases along with people calling to turkeys just to practice and see if they can make one gobble. Someone is hunting your public land and your virgin turkeys.

armyvet4583

Yep , almost my favorite time of the year , just found out my work is having our summer shutdown in April this year instead of July , made my day !
What kind of work you do? Shut down at my mill I got to work 7/12s ?. Thankfully last yr they moved it from April to Oct.

BASS1FUN

Walked up on about 50 today on some public land, they started yelping, kee keeing and clucking so I messed with them for a little bit and one ran in on me at 15 yards, come on March 21st

saltysenior

I live next to National Forest and travel thru it almost daily. There is not a lot of public land that’s not hunted. Every year about this time the amount of road traffic greatly increases along with people calling to turkeys just to practice and see if they can make one gobble. Someone is hunting your public land and your virgin turkeys.

there are many large state parks to play on that have no hunting..some even let you sleep there

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
there are many large state parks to play on that have no hunting..some even let you sleep there
Ohhhhh wow yeah actually thinkin about it that way it would be fun to play with em in Smokey mountain national park. I have yelped to them when we goin over the mountain on 441 Cherokee to Gatlinburg but them birds look at me with a face that reads... "we're tired of those calls you crazy humans!!! Shut that up before I flog those tires!!!"

deast1988

Cell cam shows everyday they there. Just waiting till it’s show time.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Even on state park birds somebody be hunting them.