now this is sick

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Saw it on the news last night. Its obvious these "pastors" need to go to Bible study and get some teaching before they try to lead.

>>>>>>>>>Largest Lutheran group reinstating 2 gay ministers
By KATE BRUMBACK , Associated Press

Last update: May 4, 2010 - 6:59 PM
Print this story
E-mail this story
Save to del.icio.us
Share on Facebook
Share on Digg
More from Faith + Values
■Religion News in Brief
■Louisiana blessing of boats a sad affair this year
■Gay pastors back on ELCA roster
■US Catholics debate defrocking abusive priests
■Crossways tells Bible stories in pictures
ATLANTA - A gay Atlanta pastor and his partner who have been at the center of a battle over the treatment of gay clergy by the nation's largest Lutheran denomination are being reinstated to the denomination's clergy roster, church officials announced Tuesday.

The Rev. Bradley Schmeling and his partner, the Rev. Darin Easler, have been approved for reinstatement, the Chicago-based Evangelical Lutheran Church in America said in a news release. The approval came roughly eight months after the denomination voted to allow gays and lesbians in committed relationships to serve as clergy, and just weeks after the ELCA's church council officially revised the church's policy on gay ministers.

Schmeling, who serves as pastor of St. John's Lutheran Church in Atlanta, was removed from the church's clergy roster in 2007 for being in a same-sex relationship with Easler. A disciplinary committee ruled that Schmeling was violating an ELCA policy regarding the sexual conduct of pastors.

"I'm grateful that this journey has come full circle and that the church has changed its policy," Schmeling said Tuesday.

"I think the church saw the gifts and the abilities of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people and saw that the spirit was calling them into ministry and wanted to create a way for people to serve," he said.

The reinstatement will become effective "once the paperwork has been filed," which should happen in the coming days or weeks, he said.

At their biennial national convention in August, ELCA leaders called for revisions to ministry policy documents, making it possible for "eligible Lutherans in publicly accountable, lifelong, monogamous, same-gender relationships" to serve as clergy, the church said in the statement. The ELCA Church Council adopted those revisions April 10.

The candidacy committee of the ELCA Southeastern Synod in Atlanta met two weeks later and approved Schmeling's request for reinstatement.

Even though Schmeling had been removed from the ELCA clergy roster, he remained pastor at St. John's, putting the church in violation of ELCA guidelines, said the Rev. H. Julian Gordy, bishop of the ELCA Southeastern Synod.
"There are people in our church that believe that pastors in publicly accountable, lifelong, monogamous, same-gender relationships should not serve as pastors in this church," Gordy said in the church statement. "But the assembly said that while we were not in agreement on this, congregations could call persons in such relationship to serve as pastors, and St. John has chosen to do this."
Despite the opposition from some to the change in church policy, "I believe that we will learn to live in this new reality," Gordy said.
"This congregation has always been clear in its affirmation and support of our relationship," Schmeling said. "When I told them that I had met my partner for life, they threw us a party. When they heard that we were both reinstated to the clergy roster, there was a spontaneous standing ovation in church on Sunday."
Ann Gerondelis, 51, who has attended St. John's since 1981, said the congregation never saw Schmeling any differently after he was removed from the clergy roll, but they were still thrilled to hear he would be reinstated.
"I'm very excited to be a part of the ELCA at this time," she said. "The ELCA has now shown it is committed to unity. ... We're bound together with people who may not see things the same way we do but that's an important part of our journey."
Easler said he left United Redeemer Lutheran Church in Zumbrota, Minn., in 2003 because he disagreed with the church's policy and also because he wanted to minister to people in a hospital and hospice setting. He and Schmeling met at a church conference in Minnesota in 2004, and he moved to Atlanta to be with Schmeling the following year.
Easler was removed from the clergy roster in 2006 after having been without a parish for three years, the church said in a statement. He transferred to the United Church of Christ, which is a full communion partner of the ELCA, and worked in hospice care as a bereavement coordinator.

He recently applied to the candidacy committee of the ELCA's Southeastern Minnesota Synod in Rochester and was approved April 30. He plans to continue his hospice work under the auspices of the ELCA.
"I just feel so grateful to be able to come back to my church home and church family, and I'm grateful to be able to share with the church both my love and my gifts for ministry but also the love for my partner," Easler said.
Schmeling said the reinstatement is good news for others as well.
"I'm happy for the many people who always hoped to be ordained as pastors now have an open pathway before them," he said.
___
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America: http://www.elca.org

Next page <<<<<<<<<<<<

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
That's not church.

That's "pretend" church.

Foolish people.

earl

Banned
Bet they burn.

ronpasley

The day will come when right is wrong and wrong is right.

As we can see it is here not just by this but by much much more.

Father have mercy on us thank you for victory in you Son.

gtparts

The ELCA has flopped on this matter.

The Rev. Bradley Schmeling and his partner, the Rev. Darin Easler, have been approved for reinstatement, the Chicago-based Evangelical Lutheran Church in America said in a news release. The approval came roughly eight months after the denomination voted to allow gays and lesbians in committed relationships to serve as clergy, and just weeks after the ELCA's church council officially revised the church's policy on gay ministers.

God doesn't have that problem (flopping).

"I'm grateful that this journey has come full circle and that the church has changed its policy," Schmeling said Tuesday.

Schmeling will undoubtedly be disappointed when he finds out God has not changed His opinion of sin. The leadership of the ELCA will also find themselves to be in opposition to God in this matter.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Bet they burn.

should they continue their current path.......................they are for sure not freeze:p

While I am in agreement that these men should not be pastors, I will stop short of judging their salvation. We all have sins we commit.

pnome

Homosexual Christian ministers. :rolleyes:

Why would you actively propagate a religion that thinks you are an "abomination"? :huh:

It just makes no sense!

rjcruiser

Why would you actively propagate a religion that thinks you are an "abomination"? :huh:

It just makes no sense!

yup...reminds me of Jude.

So often, people want to find the common ground. Yet, we need to hold fast to the Faith (Doctrine) that was taught by Christ.

3Beloved, while I was making every effort to write you about our common salvation, I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints.

4For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

oh...and Desert Soldier/Earl, we are not judging these folks...God has already done this. Look at verse 4 above. He has marked out for condemnation their sin long before we ever walked this earth.

WTM45

It just makes no sense!

They desire the same exclusivity and promise of eternity other followers do.
And the higher status, authority and perks that go with being a religious leader are just as attractive to them too.

Private clubs with private rules. Why care?:rofl:

pnome

They desire the same exclusivity and promise of eternity other followers do.

Promise of eternity? The Christian "heaven" has a sign on the gate that reads:
No Homosexuals Allowed!

And the higher status, authority and perks that go with being a religious leader are just as attractive to them too.

Private clubs with private rules. Why care?:rofl:

Now this makes a certain amount of sense. But not in this case. St. John's Lutheran Church doesn't look to be some mega church with tons of money. The pay can't be that good.

Maybe it's the tax exemptions. :huh:

Huntinfool

No Homosexuals Allowed!

They don't think it does....for some reason.

gtparts

No Homosexuals Allowed!

Now this makes a certain amount of sense. But not in this case. St. John's Lutheran Church doesn't look to be some mega church with tons of money. The pay can't be that good.

Maybe it's the tax exemptions. :huh:

The Message offers this from Paul, in his letter to the Galatians.

Gal. 5:19-21

It is obvious what kind of life develops out of trying to get your own way all the time: repetitive, loveless, cheap sex; a stinking accumulation of mental and emotional garbage; frenzied and joyless grabs for happiness; trinket gods; magic-show religion; paranoid loneliness; cutthroat competition; all-consuming-yet-never-satisfied wants; a brutal temper; an impotence to love or be loved; divided homes and divided lives; small-minded and lopsided pursuits; the vicious habit of depersonalizing everyone into a rival; uncontrolled and uncontrollable addictions; ugly parodies of community. I could go on.

This isn't the first time I have warned you, you know. If you use your freedom this way, you will not inherit God's kingdom.

The Bible makes numerous references to what disqualifies an individual from heaven (an unrepentent heart).

As sins go, no sin is more significant or less significant than another.

christianhunter

I have nothing of eloquence,or adversity to say.I'm not going to quote Scripture on this.Even the unbeliever knows it is not right,or at least should.THE LORD GOD will Judge this now,and has already,judged it in the past.It is sick,and it is Satan at work at his best.

jmar28

No comment cause I'll get bombarded for it :rofl:

Huntinfool

I was referring to your apparent dismissal of the sin as a "non-biggie". Not what is better or worse.

IMO, his best work is reserved for tearing marriages apart. But we'll have to agree to disagree.

Latest posts