Nymph help

Jeffrey o

Ok so I’ve been at this for about 2 months and have mostly fished dries. I’m fishing with a few nymphs mostly small creeks. I’ve been buying some and was wondering most common size. I want to buy several different types like the prince nymph, pheasant tail, hares ear, some midges and copper Johns. Should I stick with the sizes of 14 or 16 or is there any of those I need in a bigger or smaller size. Thanks for any help

whitetailfreak

All those you mentioned will catch fish although I rarely fish a midge in the freestone creeks that I mostly fish. A Tellico nymph is one of my favorites in Western NC and East TN. As far as sizes I don't have a nymph in my box smaller than a 16 and mostly 12-16. I prefer to catch em on dries when I can but nymph fish tend to run larger. Your mileage may vary during the colder months but in my view that time of the year is for the deer woods.

Jimmy Harris

Here's a link that I think you'll find very helpful.

Surf around their website and you'll find a lot of good information.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I use nymphs anywhere from about size 8 down to 16. 12s and 14s are what I use the most. I never use anything smaller than a 16.

Pat's Rubber Legs, Prince, Tellico, Higa's SOS, Butano Perdigon, Green Inchworm, and a couple of my own recipes are some of my go-to patterns.