obedience school

The AmBASSaDEER

Has anyone every sent ther dog to school? If so what kind of trainin? How long were they ther? What was the cost? and do you think it was worth it? Also add anything else I should know about them.

Dmealer

lab trainer

I good retriever trainer will cost anywhere in the range of 450$ to 600$ a month. It all depends on the trainer and what stage of training your dog is in.

stravis

If it's just obedience training that you want, do it yourself if you have the time. It's easy and creates a bond with the dog. Buy a video like Duck Dog Basics by Chris Aiken for $20. The first few chapters of the video are about obedience. I used that and after a month, you'd think my lab was a show dog. He sticks to my side at heel at a run, walk, turns, anything. When I stop, he sits. He sits on the whistle no matter where or what he's doing. Comes every time he's called, etc.. Or Petsmart has obedience classes at each of their stores. I think they are about $120 for eight classes. They have beginner, intermediate and advanced levels and you have a trainer to ask questions to.

pbyles

I'm gonna ask a question I've been wanting to ask for a while...it has to do with this thread....

PM me your answers if you want....

Has anyone ever used or heard of Vickie Lamb...

She does/did obediance training.....

Just wondering if she was still working-

The AmBASSaDEER

If it's just obedience training that you want, do it yourself if you have the time. It's easy and creates a bond with the dog. Buy a video like Duck Dog Basics by Chris Aiken for $20. The first few chapters of the video are about obedience. I used that and after a month, you'd think my lab was a show dog. He sticks to my side at heel at a run, walk, turns, anything. When I stop, he sits. He sits on the whistle no matter where or what he's doing. Comes every time he's called, etc.. Or Petsmart has obedience classes at each of their stores. I think they are about $120 for eight classes. They have beginner, intermediate and advanced levels and you have a trainer to ask questions to.

I trained my old dog to sit, stay, come, fetch, and give his paw. just the basic but that was 15yrs ago. I was just wonderin whatall people have done with there dogs.

stravis

I trained my old dog to sit, stay, come, fetch, and give his paw. just the basic but that was 15yrs ago. I was just wonderin whatall people have done with there dogs.

If that is all you're looking to do and if you have the time (15-20 minutes a day 3 or so days a week), I'd strongly suggest Chris Aiken's video. It's the only one I've seen, so I can't say whether or not it's better than the others out there, but it has worked very well for me and my lab. Very simple, not very time consuming and it worked.

sharon

You might check with your county recreation dept...I participated in an obedience class several years ago in Cherokee Co & it was the best $45.00 I've ever spent. My dog was a pit/boxer cross and it was an excellent decision. She actually taught our other younger dogs by example...when we told her to sit, stay, come, down...they picked up on the same things. Rec Depts. are reasonable and the instructor was great (ours did this full time, along with our class). In fact, she lived in Cobb Co., but I don't remember her name. Good luck!

We had a Weimaraner pup that received a "certificate of attendance", the obedience school equivalent of social promotion.

As far as he was concerned, "school" was just a great opportunity to socialize.

This was through the rec department, and pup was invited not to come back -- he was a bad influence on the other dogs.

Seriously, though, it is a good program.

LLove

We sent Roman to "Mans best friend" and it cost us.. *cough*JT*cough* .. an arm and a leg but we're thrilled with the results!

in just 2 weeks he took to the training like a duck to water. He was graduated early and after just 5weeks he was doing; sit, stay, down, heel, leave it, and place/stay. I also taught him a couple of my own. "Be nice" for when i want to put a treat in his mouth. (he'll open his mouth about a half an inch and let me lay it on his tongue) .. "nose" so i can lay a treat on his nose and he'll balance it, then pop it into his mouth. "Up" when i want him to hop up on the couch if he and I are sleeping there that night. And "Cuddles" where he'll put his front legs on my lap when i say it, and lay his head on my stomach or legs

I could have NEVER taught him even half of those if they hadn't taught us so much at the obedience school. I missed him for those 2 weeks but i'm soooooooo glad we did it.

He amazes me every day with how well, quickly, and eagerly he learns. :love:

Jack Ryan

I got a Siberian husky about 30 years ago. My wife was kind of afraid of him and kind of just never been around dogs so we took him to an AKC obedience school together. She really took him more than I did because I was working nights and had to take off work when I did go but at home we both taught him together. Worked on him about half an hour an evening maybe 5 nights a week or what ever it took to stay caught up with the class.

That was the best dog I ever had and the best learning expirience we ever had with a dog. All three of us learned a lot. The basic building blocks you will need with any type of dog no matter what his over all purpose will be.

I would highly recomend it. You will use what you learn with every dog you ever own after that. Ours was AKC affiliated and it was not very expensive at all. I think 4H runs schools very similar in a lot of places.

I think the second best thing a dog owner can do that is not hunting dog specific is to get the information from that dog whisperer guy web site. Cesar something. What I learned there was like icing on the cake on top of the obedience school thing. The two really work together to make teaching a dog just about any thing really easy and quick.