Ohio in November Gear Prep Help

XJfire75

Yo fellas!

I’m gathering gear and clothing for my 8 day hunt in SE Ohio starting Nov 1 and wanted recommendations on colder weather gear to prepare and buy between now and then.

I’m in SE Ga so I don’t have a ton of cold weather stuff and I know it’s a toss up whether it’ll be 50 or 20 up there so trying to at least get a list together in the even of an early winter storm or gnarly cold front.

I have the midweight base layers(UA and Micro fleece stuff) and plenty of cotton and fleece layers to put on. Just ordered some 1000g insulated boots and have the Thermacell heated insoles.

I know wind seems to always blow up there so what’s a good jacket or vest that’ll block wind but isn’t bulky since I’ll be bowhunting.

Anything for y’all out of staters that learned the hard way and forgot? Lol

Tips and tricks to pack a week’s worth of crap tight into 2-3 tough boxes?

uturn

I’d add a Heater Body Suit to whatever else you choose, a great piece of gear that will last forever!

And, I use bags rather than totes I like that they are flexible and mold etc...I can get a ton of stuff in just a few!

Good luck on your hunt!!

Dbender

I've got a windproof hood /facemask and hand muff. Other than that same stuff i wear here. Windproof drake jacket and windproof bibs. Other than the wind, the cold isn't as bad as here. I bring vaseline for chapped lips.

Last edited:

XJfire75

I've got a windproof hood /facemask and hand muff. Other than that same stuff i wear here. Windproof drake jacket and windproof bibs. Other than the wind, the cold isn't as bad as here. I bring vaseline for lip protection it's a must for me.

Yeah I’ve been up north plenty of times in the cold and know it’s defintely feels different just haven’t ever had the pleasure of hanging off a tree in 20mph winds in November up there haha.

Drake makes good stuff. Have several pieces of their non typical and waterfowl stuff. It’ll def be packed.

shdw633

You hunting public or private land? If it's public I would highly recommend a deer cart.

Kris87

It's not nearly as cold that week as you think. And the wind has not been a factor for me there like it would be further to the west. Last year, the coldest morning that week for me was 30, with most in the mid to upper 30's. Highs can be in the 50's, even 60's. I wouldn't bother with the heater body suit for that week.

alwayslookin

Hunted that week in So OH for 8 years and like Kris87 said it rarely got below 30 but I do remember a few mornings in the low 20s. My windproof bibs, neck gaiter, toe and hand warmers were a necessity for me on those mornings. You should have a good hunt if the weather cooperates and you get into some deer.

leesmith

Know that the quality of products that work in Ga don't cut it in Midwest. I would first and foremost recommend Gooooood boots. Something like the Muck artic pro

ericflowers

I bought the Sitka fanatic suit last yr for my bowhunt in Iowa and loved it. Glad I did, days in the teens and snow, with winds up to 25-30 mph at least one day. I stayed warm all day long. Just ordered the stratus suit last night for ga and prob my se Kansas trip this year week before Thanksgiving. Most important thing is something that blocks the wind. I wore Irish setter rutmaster rubber boots on the feet.

Last edited:

XJfire75

Hoping it’s only in the 30s. I looked up the normal temp ranges and y’all are right. 30s and 50s so that’s not bad at all long as the wind isn’t howling. I went through my hunting clothes today and think I’m in good shape long as I add a wind proof vest or jacket and some good quality socks.

I’ll just double up base layers and have plenty of insulated tops and bottoms that’ll be fine for those temps.

bany

The usual stay warm layers. And most importantly rainproof cause that should have you windproof. High and dry!
It could be in the 70’s or the 20’s and maybe both. I can tell ya I’ve been in a blizzard on Nov. 3 and t-shirt hunting after thanksgiving.

uturn

It's not nearly as cold that week as you think. And the wind has not been a factor for me there like it would be further to the west. Last year, the coldest morning that week for me was 30, with most in the mid to upper 30's. Highs can be in the 50's, even 60's. I wouldn't bother with the heater body suit for that week.

True that!! Guess my suggestion was to just get one if you don’t have one!

The Heater Suit is just an all around great piece of gear I believe...what I have found most folks have never tried one in real time? They are not only wind proof and for the most part water proof but are great for concealing movement etc.

Not something you wear to the stand but, rather pack in use it or not!

Just too easy! I have a ton Sitka gear for the most part along with I little bit of about everything else cause I’m kinda eat up with it and there is a lot of great gear out there today for sure but, my HBS I never leave home with out it!!!

Good luck again don’t forget to send pictures!

Kris87

I have a HBS too. I've used it when I hunted Ohio in January when the temps were in the single digits. It was worth every penny for that hunt. I used it in a blind and a stand. Had no issues packing it or getting in and out while in the tree. It for sure works.

RootConservative

I just bought Sitka pants and jacket for my Idaho hunt based on reviews and recommendations from my brother and guide. I'm using same base layers I use in Georgia for when it gets cold. Also, bringing a good rain jacket and pack cover. I realize it's totally different country, but the sitka is highly reviewed out west. We will be glassing and then try to sneak up undetected within bow range. I've read great things about the heater body suits for stand hunting, but haven't had the need yet. But listen to the guys that hunt there regularly and so far the consensus is the temperature isn't too cold.

bnew17

I hunt Ohio the first week in Dec during their gun week. Last year was brutal with driving wind and light snow. Windchill in single digits. Like everyone has said, get some good wind gear. If not, once you get cold there is no warming up. I have some Lacrosse alpha burley boots i bought just for the trip. Could not keep my feet from sweating in them. That was another challenge...having frozen feet from wet socks.

shdw633

I might also suggest a good hand warmer. I don't think those hot hands or anything like those heated chemical bags work. I just ordered some heated insoles (not Thermacell) and an electric hand warmer as well as a zippo hand warmer (in case that electric one doesn't work well). I was in Illinois and Michigan during the second and third week of November last year and it seemed it snowed every time I was in the woods and it was around 20 degrees. I just couldn't keep my hands and feet warm and I have some of those 1000 gram boots that worked well but once them feet and hands get cold, you're done.

Last edited:

GAbuckhunter88

Good thread. I’m planning for a second week of November trip to Kansas next year and have already started planning/researching. I’m very cold natured unfortunately so I always have to be dressed a little heavier than most. I’ve been looking at the cabelas wooltimate with wind shear line to cover me in case it’s cold.