Okefenokee Blackwater Swamp Excursion (Pic Heavy)

cb3725

Title.JPG

We left Atlanta with a light snow coming down and temperatures fallen into the 30's - relatively cold for late February in North Georgia. My good friend Jeff and I were headed south on I-75 with a destination in the southeast corner of the state: Okefenokee Swamp. There, we had booked a trip with local outfitter Okefenokee Adventures for a three day paddle along some of the canoe routes criss-crossing the expansive refuge.

Arriving at the refuge entrance outside Folkston, GA, we met our bearded guide, Chip Campbell, who turned out to be a real character. He and his wife own the outfitting and guide service there, and he entertained us the entire trip with his extensive knowledge of everything from swamp flora to local lore to current TV series to conservation practices! His enthusiasm for the creatures there and the swamp itself was clearly evident, and he managed to impart a whole lot of knowledge in just a couple of days. My favorite laid back line of the trip from him was "Everyone experiences the swamp in their own way." I can't say enough how much we enjoyed the conversation and commentary from Chip. He's a one of a kind guide. This is the Okefenokee Adventures office, cafe, and shop and the starting point for excursion into the swamp from the east side.

OkAdvHQ.jpg

The paddling began as we left the civilization of the gift shop and retail area, turning from plush alligator toys to the hopes of finding the real deal. This initial nine miles of water is the Suwanee Canal, also known as the Orange Trail if you're looking at the canoe trail map. This stretch is wide open and was a good place to practice a bit of paddling before hitting the swamp in earnest. If you look at the pictures to follow, it's hard to see just how black that water is, and if you scoop up a handful, it's actually a dark tinted amber, like a light wood stain. But staring down into it, that water looks as black as the night sky, perfectly reflective and concealing anything that might be hiding out beneath the surface. In fact, it's hard not to think of all the thinks that might be down there when your're starting out.

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

This is one of the trail junctions. If I recall, this is where the Blue and Orange Trails intersect, and the old Yellow Trail used to start. We veered right, staying on the Orange Trail. Did I mention the cold we left in Atlanta? It was around 70 this first day in the swamp. Beautiful sky too.

DSC_0007.JPG

A few things about the water itself surprised me, but particularly how glassy and reflective it was caught us off guard. Chip explained how back in the cross Atlantic sailing days, blackwater was valued because the high tannic acid content makes it inhospitable for many microbe varieties. As such, they would sail up blackwater rivers to gather the water, store it, and drink it on the return journey. The acid allows the water to stay clean longer, and also make it somewhat safer to drink when compared to even clear mountain water that is associated with water purity.

DSC_0010.JPG

Birds were abundant. Herons where everywhere, and a couple of cranes made an appearance on the first day. Cranes are an attraction because of their relative rarity, and I believe they were the first I've ever seen.

DSC_0015.JPG

This picture was taken off the back of the shelter at Coffee Bay, with Bugaboo Island being somewhere nearby off to the west. We stopped at this shelter to eat a good lunch, and I'll say here that if you book a trip with OA, you're not going to be hungry! As a backpacker, I am used to subsistence eating - sardines, saltines, maybe a bagel with peanut butter - but these guys do it right. We had hamburgers, jambalaya, pasta, burritoes... it was phenomenal! And of course, food just tastes better when you eat it outside.

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

At this junction, we paddled off the canal through one of the many tempting openings off to the sides. Jeff and I kept commenting to each other how it seemed as if a person could probably spend a lifetime exploring openings to the large expansive areas that were often visible between the trees lining the canal. We paddled past a lot of good looking fishy water, and if I'd been on my own, I'd have been moving pretty slow to fish all of the likely looking spots. Speaking of fishing, I decided to go simple for this trip and brought just the collapsible pole, a few yard of line, and a little tin of hooks, bobbers, and worms. I figured, I've enjoyed fishing with the pole instead of a rod and reel, but this would give me a chance to use it exclusively and see what I thought. More on that later, but the only fishermen we ran into on this trip just happened to be fishing the same way, with simple little telescoping poles to drop bait at the base of the cypress trees. I guess that's still a popular method there. and it makes sense with all of the surface cover and dense thicket surrounding.

DSC_0029.JPG

Chip paused at the opening of Chase Prairie to demonstrate the old method of cruising across the swampy prairies by using a push pole. I've seen this technique used by the Jack Mountain Bushcraft School, and man was it faster cutting across the areas with dense underwater growth than paddling.

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

This wasn't the first gator we ran across, but it was the first one that I got a moderately sharp photo of. Day one was beautiful but must have been borderline too cool, because we only saw a few.

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

At the end of the twelve miles, we made camp at the Round Top shelter with a beautiful 360 degree view of the swamp prairie. I tell you what, I've seen some pretty sunsets out west, but this was was long and the colors spectacular. It was great food for dinner, and then a good few hours getting to know our trip mates on the raised platform there in the middle of the swamp.

DSC_0062.JPG

Since this was a longer outing for me, and I couldn't help photographing quite a few highlights, I'm going to break this into a multi-part report. Stay tuned for parts 2 and 3 as I get the photos organized!

seeker

Great report and looks like you had a great time. It's refreshing to see this post after all the junk that's been posted lately.

cb3725

On the second day of our visit to the southeast Georgia swamp with Okefenokee Adventures, we woke to a beautiful sunrise over the water of Chase Prairie. It was hard to imagine that even with a full day of paddling west, we'd only made it a small way across the swamp. After seeing the expanse, and the relatively small area where visitors are allowed to travel, I would imagine this to be one of the most remote areas of the country, and probably one of the most wild areas of the east. Once we got off of the main canal trail, we saw no one else out on these "paddle only" trails, and the entire trip was almost devoid of trash or litter that is common in high use wildernesses.

Sunset.jpg

For day two, we continued to paddle on the loop of the Purple Trail. This was a shorter day in terms of miles, so we were able to paddle a little slower and really take in the scenery. A stiff wind blew across the prairie for most of the day, and there were a good deal more gator sighting throughout the day.

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0075.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

Lunch was served at the shelter at Canal Run near the south end of the Blue Trail. A nice sized (8ft?) alligator hangs out at this platform, and it eyed us casually from across the canal during our lunch break there. The alligators, with few exceptions, seemed watchful but unperturbed by our being there. In fact, most of the wildlife we saw, including a deer, raccoon, turtle, and birds all seemed the same. I suppose the difference is the area's Preserve status, where the animals are unpressured and a bit more confident in their safety.

DSC_0093.JPG

DSC_0103.JPG

By this point in the trip, we'd seen a good number of alligators, but I don't think I'd get tired of seeing these guys. Most just froze while we passed, but a few jetted when they realized they'd been seen. Those reptiles are fast and graceful in the water, and are one of the most fascinating animals I think I've seen in the wild.

DSC_0109.JPG

After making it to the shelter back at Coffee Bay, which would be the overnight shelter, there was finally a pause to do a little fishing. Chip had filled us in on the fish that were likely to be caught there, describing four particular fish. The first two were sunfish varieties called warmouth and fliers, while the second two were more exotic compared to what we catch up in the north end of the state. Bowfin/mudfish and chain pickerel are both toothy, so leader is a necessity apparently, though fliers were all I caught. All in all, we probably spent about 30 minutes fishing, and when I return, it'll be with a good chunk of time set aside to fish those waters more. The telescoping pole was perfect for fishing the thick cypress swamp, and the waterway was just narrow enough to fish either bank with the 12' pole from the center of the canal.

DSC_0122.JPG

Throughout the day, Chip dove into a number of the local legends that surround the swamp. Some of them are related to the many families that still live in the area and have for generations. There is a fascinating history to the swamp, as it has been far more throughout the years than "just a mucky blackwater." He mentioned a couple of sources for further reading, but we all agreed he needed to author a work with his own unique accent to the area. As a person who came to swamp years ago, but as a non-native, his version, from an immersed outsider perspective, was very interesting.

Another nice part about the trip, was the other folks with us were just good people. We had a bit of time to visit each evening, and a comment was made by the guide that that is usually the case. He said something to the effect that "People who want to make the effort to come to the swamp for a good time are usually the type of people I'll get along with."

DSC_0123.JPG

We wrapped up the day at the shelter at Coffee Bay, where there was barely enough room to squeeze all of the tents onto the platform. Fortunately, no one took a dive into the swamp heading to the outhouse during the night. After all the paddling and a great dinner, sleep was good.

Last edited:

redneckhunter31510

We put in the same place this past Saturday, and went to the canal run shelter. And left out Sunday morning. We seen about 10 gators Saturday and close to 15 sunday on the way out.

cb3725

We put in the same place this past Saturday, and went to the canal run shelter. And left out Sunday morning. We seen about 10 gators Saturday and close to 15 sunday on the way out.

Hey, I might have seen you on Saturday! I was in the boat weaving down the canal, trying to remember how to steer :)

T-N-T

Nice write up! I enjoyed the pics too. I recognize it all just being there Sat and Sun too. BEAUTIFUL weather!

Great report and looks like you had a great time. It's refreshing to see this post after all the junk that's been posted lately.

Me too. I am sick of all these people posting their mediocre trips where they caught fish and posted it up. And then others asking questions about what kayak to buy because they dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on a kayak they dont know much about. Really gets on my nerves all the advise people give to try and help out too.
facepalm:

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
Me too. I am sick of all these people posting their mediocre trips where they caught fish and posted it up. And then others asking questions about what kayak to buy because they dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on a kayak they dont know much about. Really gets on my nerves all the advise people give to try and help out too.
facepalm:

thank you for including us on the trip ! looking forward to more ! Topher, that cracked me up :rofl:

cb3725

Day Three

Day Three was our last day and turned out to be The Day of the Gators. It was heavy fog and light rain in the morning, and with the cooler temps and grey sky, it didn't seem to be ideal conditions for sighting the warm weather reptiles, but I guess after just three days in the Okefenokee, I'm hardly an expert :)

DSC_0186.JPG

Thanks and credit to my friend and canoe buddy Jeff, he took my camera and adjusted the settings to improve the focus over what I'd been getting during the days prior. In fact, he snapped some of the better ones below himself, using my Nikon.

I wasn't ready to see this trip wrap up on the third day. I always miss my wife and boys when I am gone overnight, but this trip was so unique, so interesting, and enjoyable, that I could gladly spend many more days there. I'm going to have to content myself to visiting here and there, and hopefully I can convince my wife to come along on the next trip. It's a place like no other, and it ranks at the very top of my list of the coolest places I've been.

DSC_0129.JPG

DSC_0135.JPG

DSC_0141.JPG

Like I say, this was the day for gators, so get ready for a pile of gator photos!

DSC_0146.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0209.JPG

And here we are, at the end of the trip, paddling west out of the refuge in the canal. It's a great memory from a place that is filled with history, and I'll be going back next chance I get. I can't recommend the trips offered by Okefenokee Adventures highly enough, but I think I may try to explore the refuge from the north end next time, and spend a bit more time fishing and less time on the move.

DSC_0224.JPG

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
awesome pics again! the swamp gets into some folks and it seems like it has you. the swamp and yellowstone are 2 places that draw me back like a siren. i can't wait for my next adventure down there !

T-N-T

Yessir, Fine story, great pics, thanks again for sharing!