Oklahoma and New Mexico...COMPLETE! (Pic Heavy)

gobble157

X2 New Mexico looks fun! Good Job David, congrats on two more states off the list!

If you boys ever go out that way I know exactly the place to go. Loads of turkeys and absolutley stunning scenery. Thanks for the comments!

gobble157

You're a killing machine David. I always admire how you travel all over the country killing these public land gobblers !!!!!!!! :clap:

Thanks Jody!

Did you find those Morels recently? Looks like some big tasty ones!

gobble157

Here are the pics I got of elk and muleys that you requested from New Mexico

Nick,

Those are some great pics for sure. I really didn't see them thoroughly when I looked at your camera. Maybe we should put in for an Elk or Muley tag. Would be fun for dang sure! Until next year, lets smash some GA longbeards.

wmahunter

Banned
Beautiful pics and interesting story. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Jasper

Very, very, very impressive. Congrats!

gobble157

Yeah, about a month ago right here in Morgan County!

When I hunt in SE Ohio you can find them all over the place. There was one guy I hunted with often during turkey season and when we were chasing longbeards half the time we were hunting turkeys and the rest was hunting morels...LOL!

Oh, and the ginseng was all over as well.

hawglips

Banned
Congratulations!!

That is some beautiful country!

boparks

Congratulations David

The photos are great and tell alot of the story.

Camp looks comfortable too.

gobble157

What a trip! Congratulations to both of you.

David, how many states left?

Fred,

I got 20 states left to go! Seems like a large feat, but I did 8 states in one turkey season back in 2007. Hopefully, I can get away and hunt late season in WY and MT.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Fred,

I got 20 states left to go! Seems like a large feat, but I did 8 states in one turkey season back in 2007. Hopefully, I can get away and hunt late season in WY and MT.

That's just cool! I can't even begin to imagine what kind of dedication and preserverance such a feat requires. My hat is off to you.

gobble157

That's just cool! I can't even begin to imagine what kind of dedication and preserverance such a feat requires. My hat is off to you.

Fred,

I almost gave up in NM. My best bud Nick can attest to that statement. Walking 15+ miles up and down mountains in the midst of the driest its been in a long while can definitely make a man want to throw in the towel. I kept pushing and made one last effort to kill my NM bird. As my daddy once taught me during my fishing days..."just make one last cast and we'll move to another spot." We'll I made one last cast before heading home and I killed my NM bird. I've had a blessed year and am proud to steadily knock off some tough states in 2011. Wish you the best bud and God bless!

Last edited:

boparks

Fred,

I almost gave up in NM. My best bud Nick can attest to that statement. Walking 15+ miles up and down mountains in the midst of the driest its been in a long while can definitely make a man want to throw in the towel. I kept pushing and made one last effort to kill my NM bird. As my daddy once taught me during my fishing days..."just make one last cast and we'll move to another spot." We'll I made one last cast before headed home and I killed my NM bird. I've had a blessed year and am proud to steadily knock off some tough states in 2011. Wish you the best bud and God bless!

We walked about 6 miles the first day and 8 the second.
The 3rd we figured a few things out and found birds in an easier place

It's not the miles...it's the climbs and thin air

The first morning we went straight up about 500' (8500' elevation)........honestly did not think I was going to make it....especially before daylight

I'm down to 189 lbs from 196 before the trip...started the season at 202

gobble157

We walked about 6 miles the first day and 8 the second.
The 3rd we figured a few things out and found birds in an easier place

It's not the miles...it's the climbs and thin air

The first morning we went straight up about 500'........honestly did not think I was going to make it....especially before daylight

I'm down to 189 lbs from 196 before the trip...started the season at 202

Bobby,

I know the feeling! The first morning I was running on adrenalin. I'd hear a bird across a ridge and instantly take off torwards him as fast as I could. Get up there huffing for air and sweating like I've been running 20 miles and at 7200 ft it's pretty darn tough to catch your breath. Not difficult, but takes a little time. I had a blast and will never forget the experience. Lincoln National Forest has birds, but one can't expect to just get out of the truck climb a mountain and get on a longbeard. I walked a long ways before gettting on a few birds. The last day I finally figured out what they were doing. Needless to say, I'll forever remember NM and the great times that were had. Glad you laid the smack down in MT and NM. Where abouts were you hunting in MT? I'm thinking about heading up that way the last week of season in May. Congrats to you bud and great season!

DJ

Arrow3

Awesome job as always bud!! Great pics to boot!! :cheers:

sman

Awesome pics!!! Congrats on some beautiful birds!!!