Oklahoma tagged out - First Rio Hunt - Pic Heavy

chefrific

Got back from one of the most spectacular hunts in my life. Hunting my first Rio Grande's on a private owned 5000 acre ranch in southwest Oklahoma. All of this secretly setup as a surprise anniversary gift from my awesome wife!
First let me begin by apologizing for such a long post.
Gentlemen, Rio's wear Reeboks is my new saying. These birds can move! I've never ran my fat old self around so much in my life. I must have heard 75 birds gobbling on the roost each morning and when they hit they hit the ground they definitely have an agenda. Also, approaching these birds in open country is hard work. Finding draws and washes to dip into was a frequently used tactic. And boy do these birds like to hear themselves gobble.
Day one, I got off a plane in Dallas and was picked up by the caretaker of the Oklahoma property, a high school classmate of mine I haven't seen in 20 years.
After a 4 hour drive we quickly got our gear and went to a spot to possibly see some birds and possibly roost some for the next morning. Well, within 45 minutes I had my first rio on the ground! Unbelievable! Was sitting next to a broken up bale of hay that the rancher had been seeing birds pick around in almost every day. Birds came in silent and it was one and done! Day 2 was full of gobblers but not a shot opportunity. Afternoon of day 3 was nuts. Got in between two groups of gobblers and jakes in a draw and cut hard and they went nuts! Both groups were on their way and one came running in full sprint to my calling. Had to cut again to stop him and boom! Bird two down and both tags filled! Spent Saturday just listening and helping my buddy do some work around the ranch. Hunt of a lifetime!

Bird 1 45min into day one!

OK1_2_zps6t0n95ma.jpg

Bird 1

20160406_181722_zpsw48zbfk0.jpg

Bird 2 day 3

OK2_2_zpsaurtmxr1.jpg

Bird 2

OK2_3_zpsjgcyibgw.jpg

Bird 2 walking out

OK2_zpsri8tl4oc.jpg

A Rio super jake putting on a show.

OKJAKE_zpssvhdq3sa.jpg

Horned Toad!

htoad_zpsaut21k6t.jpg

What a property to hunt Rios on!

OKSUNSET_zpsg2paik3j.jpg

A Good spot!

OKGULLY2_zpsgrowff40.jpg

Love me some Oklahoma!

OKWHEAT_zps4xi1gppj.jpg

UGATurkey

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your success! I hope to get out that way some day.

turkeykirk

Congraulations . Beautiful place!

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Looks like you had a great hunt indeed! Just hearing that much gobbling would be a success in itself.

Congrats!

chefrific

Congrats! It's nice to see someone that actually smiles in all their pics!

Thanks!
Yeah, I block off my face for privacy. Either that or I don't want to ruin the beautiful scenery with my ugly mug.

T-N-T

Those are some kinda beautiful birds you got there!
And that's a awesome little lizard too!

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Congrats, that smile says it all.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Congrats on some nice birds.Certainly some beautiful scenery!