Old historical sites in NW metro Atlanta

G20

Banned
One of my hobbies is researching and finding old historic sites, especially ones fairly close to where I live. I've spent a good bit of time at these places:

1) Cherokee mine along Blankets Creek

2) Hurricane Hollow

3) Mine shaft in cove next to Bethany bridge near Red Top Mtn

4) 2 furnaces on Stamp Creek

5) Yorkville Mine

6) Old marble quarry on Marble Quarry Rd, off of Sixes Rd (now fenced in - went there as a kid)

7) Taylorsville Cave alongside Euharlee Creek (now fenced in - went there as a kid)

8) Rope Mill in Woodstock (now a park - spent a lot of time there in my teens).

9) Old mine shafts and pits in the woods directly north of Cherokee Estates subdivision at Wade Green & 92 (lived in that subdivision, and spent hundreds of hours around those holes - now covered by a recent newer subdivision there)

Anybody know any other cool places like these, in Cobb, Bartow, Paulding or Cherokee counties? If you don't want to publicize it, I'd be grateful for a description sent to me in a PM, and will keep the information to myself.

Pingdis

There are tailing piles and remains of an old gold stamp mill at lower end of Sixes Creek (in Bridge Mill S/D now).

In Forsyth, there are some remains of the Franklin-Creighton gold operation along Etowah River near Yellow Creek Rd bridge.

G20

Banned
I know of both of those places, but have never been to either. I tried to locate the one near Sixes creek, but didn't find a good way in there. With your location clue, I might be able to now, though.

Thanks for both pieces of information!

Pingdis

For the Sixes Creek access, go in main ent. of Bridge Mill - turn right at stop sign onto Bridge Mill Pkwy; turn right at first right (into Athletic Complex). Then park at the lower end of the tennis court parking lot (right side of the Athletic Complex), walk down the sidewalk, cross Bridge Mill Pkwy - soon as you go into those woods its USCOE property and walk straight and its a slight downhill grade to Sixes Creek - about 1/8 mi to the creek.

G20

Banned
Thanks, Pindis!! I bet everything has been picked over and messed up by neighborhood kids, by now, but it would still be cool to see.

westcobbdog

The old Etowah Iron Works were owned by Mark Cooper. He established a rolling mill, floor mill, factories for making guns, the Souths first iron rails, tools, nails, spikes,ect..500-600 people worked there. Cooper sold his works in 1862 and made 450k. He paid off 200k in debts and spent the balanace on Confederate war effort and lost everything. Much of the town of Etowah is now under Lake Allatoona.

G20

Banned
Cooper's Furnace park below Allatoona Dam has an old iron furnance still standing.

Yep, and very close to it is Hurricane Hollow, which is about as cool to see, especially if you like things in their natural state, without fences and signs.

G20

Banned
Hurricane Hollow is maybe 1/4 mile downstream of Cooper's Furnace, and I believe where the Cooper outfit got their ore and stuff out of the ground. There are a bunch of stone walls, foundations, caved in mine shafts, etc. in the Hollow. Plus old bricks, masonry pipe and other stuff still laying around. It's a very cool place to see.