Old Marlin 336 restoration project...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
This is not a new project, in fact I did this about 25 years ago. Back then an outfit in Alaska was doing high dollar conversions on Marlin rifles. A buddy and I decided to make our own, on a young cop's budget.

It started with a pawn shop prowl for the ugliest, rustiest, neglected, nasty old Marlins we could find.

Then we took them apart, sawed the barrels off at 16" and a hair, and re-crowned them with a moto-tool. Rear dovetail was filled in with JB weld, and smoothed out.

All the rust and grime was scrubbed off, and the metal was treated with some kind of oven bake parkerizer spray we found in a Brownells catalog

Wood was sprayed with splatter type trunk paint and then camo sprayed.

Once reassembled, we installed a $19 Eurolux 4x scope from The Shotgun News, and our little Home Spun Trapper Type Carbines were ready for behind the truck seat duty for a couple decades...

Recently, I dug mine out only to find that the cheapo scope was toast. Fogged up, focus ring won't turn, and the front lens was shaking loose.

Let's get this thing back to going with a little 4x28 Leupold, and take it to the woods sometime!

IMG_20221118_133527580~2.jpg

It's snuff can accurate at 100, and the oven bake finish has held up wonderfully, despite not being taken care of very well since we rescued a couple of ugly Thutty Thutty's from the pawn shop a quarter century ago.

SC Hunter

If those rifles weren't $600 now days I'd love to do the same thing with one. I would love a handy little lever gun like you have there and have a little 2-7 leupold in the closet that would be perfect for it. Awesome work @Railroader

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If those rifles weren't $600 now days I'd love to do the same thing with one. I would love a handy little lever gun like you have there and have a little 2-7 leupold in the closet that would be perfect for it. Awesome work @Railroader

I think I paid $85 for this one back then. I would think you could still find a deal on a sho-nuff UGLY specimen!! :LOL:

And you are correct, that would be the perfect home for that unused 2-7!

Dub

Super cool.

That gun needs to be shot. Begging for your Grandsons to shoot it.

Big7

The Oracle
Looks like y'all done good!

My first centerfire was one my Daddy got me for my 15th birthday in .35 REM. Tricked it out with a Williams receiver sight and it was good to go until I regrettably sold it in a pinch. Thats one I wish I had back.

I have a brand new one in 30-30WIN that will get a Williams. It's only been shot twice.

Otisman

I have some higher end rifles, but an older friend recently gave me a 1967 marlin 336 that has quickly became my favorite deer rifle. Mostly because he’s killed most of his deer with it. I plan to upgrade the scope and trigger. Never hunted or shot anything with a 30-30 until last month. Very impressed. Dropped a Buck in his tracks at around 60 yards. It is now my go to rifle. I love an older gun with signs of use and wear.

sleepr71

I like it. It’s a Nice little rifle that you saved from the scrap heap. Solid bones & the barrel was likely unhurt..just UGLY:). Besides…not much handles as good as a short lever gun! I’m doing the same with an SKS that I picked up recently. DIY trigger job,Wolff Springs,chopping the barrel down/recrown,sand off the rust & Spray bomb it with high heat grill paint..followed by some Camo. Should outlast my kids & will have <$500 in it(including the optic). Fun stuff & if it gets wet,muddy,or skinned up….who cares!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
@Dub..

Here's an update on the little carbine...

My grandson The Kid took one look at this and fell in love with it. I told him the story of how it came to be and he just had to try it. We took it out back and he put the only three rounds I gave him into a snuff can at 100.

Decided he wanted to hunt with it, and he took it on a couple trips the last few days...

IMG_20221123_090137446.jpg

He didn't get a shot with it yet, but he sure thinks the old rifle is cool, and has sorta claimed it for his...