Old School Pig 'n Jig

weagle

I really enjoy fishing with vintage tackle and lures and I decided after deer season when I get back after the bass I'd go back to an old favorite we used to have great success with in cold water. An Uncle Josh Pork Frog on a 3/8 oz rubber skirted jig. The ol' Pig 'n Jig. I caught this 10-2 (yes it was weighed, I'm just not long arming it like the cool kids do) on Jackson Lake back in the early '80s in early February. It was so cold when we started the day the water was freezing in the quides. Fishing up the Alcovy, we only got 2 hits that day, this pig and a 7+ my brother caught

IMG_1694.jpg

I'm sure I haven't thrown a proper Uncle Josh Pig 'n Jig for 20+ years so I was pretty surprised to find out they quit making the Uncle Josh Pork frogs a few years ago and have only recently brought them back to market. I was even more surprised when I found out a jar of 3 baits is $13.75. That's right; a tad more than $4.50 ea :eek: It's going to hurt my feelings if I let one of these dry out in the sun.

IMG_1695.jpg

In any event I still have the Lews spinning rod and Zebco Cardinal 4 caught the above bass on so I'm going to get after them old school in a few weeks.

Any other Pig n' Jig slingers?

Last edited:

Mattval

I definitely would! I am sure there are some old bass out there that would bite one just out of nostalgia sake ...

weagle

I don’t use pork anymore, but I always have jigs tied and on the deck.

It took me a long time to have any faith in the plastic vs the pork, but eventually I replaced all of the rusty topped glass jars with bags of plastic.

I'm excited to start slinging pork again.

jNick

I used to love throwing a jig n pig. We’d never catch many numbers, but they were always solid anchor fish. Never heard anyone call it a pig n jig, lol.

weagle

I used to love throwing a jig n pig. We’d never catch many numbers, but they were always solid anchor fish. Never heard anyone call it a pig n jig, lol.
Seems like the celebrities on the Sat fishing shows like Bill Dance and Roland Martin called it a Jig n pig, which always sounded weird to me since we said it the other way. But those guys said Croppie when they were catching crappie, so I didn't hold much stock in how they said things :)

little rascal

Weagle, I caught a lot of Bass on those up there in the Sluice under them overhanging bushes. I still have bags of jigs and jars of pork chunks laid up in my collection, along with a lot of the O'l Tom Mann jelly worms.

oldfella1962

I never used pork frogs/pork rinds for bass but in the 70's I used them hooked to a weedless Johnson Silver Minnow for pike when I lived in Wisconsin. They were very effective that's for sure!

Headshot

Pig n Jig..... great baits. I didn't realize the #11's were being produced again. I liked a 3/8 oz jig with the #11. I'd take the tip of my pocket knife and sightly enlarge the hole where the hook went. Made taking them off much easier. Brown jig with black #11 or black jig with brown #11 were my favorite combinations.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've caught my share of big bass. Largest weighed 15, 6. Second largest was 13.50, And pictured in the second photo, the longest bass I've caught at 27 1/2 inches long, 12.50 pounds roe'd out. Photo with three bass caught in Lake Seminole Ga. All my other big bass were caught down in Florida. I gave up bass fishing. My 24 year old grandson has taken over, and he's doing pretty darn good.

Attachments

• 10399731_1038532143317_7010841_n.jpg
    10399731_1038532143317_7010841_n.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Big twelve and a half.jpg
    Big twelve and a half.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Bass2.jpg
    Bass2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 73

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
When I bass fish, I continue to use the old lures. They worked back then, and they still work. I especially like top water. My favorite top water lure is the Orlando Shiner. I think they still make em. Rapala is my second choice.