Old Snapper

sprewett

My grandpa told me about a month ago that he had something for me I needed. I asked what it was and he said a tractor. I immediately said I don't need a tractor. He said it is something for me and you to tinker with. Immediately I knew it was for us to work together on it. I spend a lot of time with him, drag him to deer camp, and fishing adventures. I spend as much time as I can because he just turned 80. He still works everyday but I know the years remaining are short.
So we started messing with a 1986 Snapper with a 16hp opposing cylinder engine. It had been sitting for 20 years. We got the tires to hold air, cleaned the fuel tank out, new fuel lines and filter, cleaned the plugs, checked the oil, new battery, and rewired and installed new start button. Shot a bit of ether in the carb and she came to life! We made the finishing touches this morning and this evening my son and I put it through the paces. It has hi/low transaxle and low is a beast for a garden tractor at least. I climbed the power lines next to my house which are steep and ran that rascal all through the woods. That opposing cylinder has an ole school chug a lug to it. There wasn't much hunting this weekend but it sure has been a great weekend.

Attachments

• 39509.jpeg
    39509.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 39511.jpeg
    39511.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 128
  • 39516.jpeg
    39516.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 130

sprewett

Here's one of my crazy son with a Japanese construction hat. He started pulling me up the hill in the dump trailer and the dump lever accidentally got hit dumping me back down the hill. Hahaha

Attachments

• 39549.jpeg
    39549.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 59

Mauser

Me and and my cousin grew up cuttin grass with that exact mower. It was our papa’s. It was still running a few years ago, it got passed on to one of the great grandsons.

Redbow

Good stuff sir I bet that old engine sounded good when she started up.

Wish I could have had my Grandpa around until he was 80 years old, mine passed on at 66 years of age.

SarahFair

The man across the street from me is in his mid 80s.
He grew up in the house and bought his brothers out after his parents passed.

He still cuts the grass with an old snapper.
I love taking a few minutes sitting on the front porch and watch him navigate it around.

Latest posts