Old Timey Hog Killins- anyone still do this?

HardlyHangin

Does anyone still raise meat hogs and have a "hog killin"? Ive read and heard from old timers it was a regular practice back in the day, often involving many helping handsin the community. Just wondering if anyone is still keeping this tradition or if it had died out.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Been a pretty good while.
I find it hard to give away a shot wild hog. Lols
Much less get folks to scald scrap and salt cure and smoke some. Lot of work for sure. Feeding a hog out was work. We even cooked and soured same time. Put red devil lie in it. Cook the cracklings to make lard. Bet I done forgot half of it.
Yea it’s fading away.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
It still happens. Not as common as it once was but still goes on for sure.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
still some folk up here that have a hog killin'. Not as many in the past 20 years or so though. I haven't had a hog killing in about 25 years. I just don't seem to have the time. I take the to the slaughter house and have them do it for me now.

Redbow

We used to kill and process our Hogs on the farm many decades ago. I don't even remember when I saw the last hog killing around our area its been many years ago. If anyone still kills hogs like we used to decades ago I surely don't know who they are. Maybe a few still do.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Done it many many times growing up. Actually getting materials up to make a smoke house just like we had on the farm back in the sixties and seventies. We did five or six every year. Lost living skills that most people have know knowledge of

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I remember after the scalding I was so disappointed because there was no BBQ after what I thought was "cooking". Thankfully the men who put this shin dig on had a big pot of Brunswick stew simmering in the barn so we could further fellowship without "perishing to death" :ROFLMAO:

trad bow

Yep Brunswick stew and cracklings were a good thing to me. When us boys got sleepy we crawled in the hay loft or corn crib.

Redbow

I loved the cracklings and roasted sweet taters with them. Also the fresh pork loin that my Grandma fried up for supper after the hogs were processed. And you can't buy the great sausage that my Grandpa and his nephews used to make, old country link sausage seasoned just right for that I need another piece taste with scrambled eggs and a pan of freshly baked home made biscuits with home made peach preserves.

It always amazed me that the black folks who helped us kill hogs all they wanted for a full days work was the head, the feet and the liver from the hogs. But Grandma always packed up some of the better cuts of meat for them, they were always very grateful for that. Good times, hard work, good eatin' and good folks now gone from my life forever.

Our last hog killing on the old farm was in 1957. Grandpa passed on in April of 1958.

Last edited:

trad bow

Fresh pork loin sliced then fried alongside fresh butter, sorghum syrup and biscuits was a better meal than the rich folks up town could buy at a restaurant

trad bow

I myself never minded hog killings but nothing was as bad to me as chicken killing day. Dunking a chicken in hot water to release the feathers just plain out just stunked

Latest posts