Opening day success!!!!

Hunter/Mason

I bought the 80 acres behind my shop around thanksgiving. I didn’t deer hunt it put cameras out and sure enough turkeys have been in and out. This am me and my son got to what I thought would be a good place to listen and I hooted. The birds sounded like they were a mile away. We eased tward the back of the property to the ridge I thought they were on and hooted again. They were just over it probably 100yds. We got set up and I made a few calls they answered everything. Saw em fly down and they came to the right passing us at 15-20 yds gobbling like crazy and I couldn’t get him turned. They looped around and eventually got back out in front of us and wouldn’t come. So I got up and eased down the ridge away from my son about 200 yds clucking and purring. Sure enough they went wide around him and to my left 30yds strutting and I had no shot. They finally eased off and I went and got him. I came up w a new plan to go to where they’d been gobbling and hung up. We did that and I only yelped a few times and just scratched the leaves. He came in slow but gobbled non stop. Was my sons first turkey and a good 1 too. 9 3/4” beard and 1 “ spurs. There was 6 birds roosted together this morning and he got to hear 100+ gobbles. Pretty sure he’s hooked now. CAD702DF-AD36-43B9-8C0F-CC0921B76109.jpeg

Blackston

Good stuff!!!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I bought the 80 acres behind my shop around thanksgiving. I didn’t deer hunt it put cameras out and sure enough turkeys have been in and out. This am me and my son got to what I thought would be a good place to listen and I hooted. The birds sounded like they were a mile away. We eased tward the back of the property to the ridge I thought they were on and hooted again. They were just over it probably 100yds. We got set up and I made a few calls they answered everything. Saw em fly down and they came to the right passing us at 15-20 yds gobbling like crazy and I couldn’t get him turned. They looped around and eventually got back out in front of us and wouldn’t come. So I got up and eased down the ridge away from my son about 200 yds clucking and purring. Sure enough they went wide around him and to my left 30yds strutting and I had no shot. They finally eased off and I went and got him. I came up w a new plan to go to where they’d been gobbling and hung up. We did that and I only yelped a few times and just scratched the leaves. He came in slow but gobbled non stop. Was my sons first turkey and a good 1 too. 9 3/4” beard and 1 “ spurs. There was 6 birds roosted together this morning and he got to hear 100+ gobbles. Pretty sure he’s hooked now. View attachment 1218635
Awesome, future right there

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Yep if that doesn’t have him hooked nothing will , congrats to you both

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I bought the 80 acres behind my shop around thanksgiving. I didn’t deer hunt it put cameras out and sure enough turkeys have been in and out. This am me and my son got to what I thought would be a good place to listen and I hooted. The birds sounded like they were a mile away. We eased tward the back of the property to the ridge I thought they were on and hooted again. They were just over it probably 100yds. We got set up and I made a few calls they answered everything. Saw em fly down and they came to the right passing us at 15-20 yds gobbling like crazy and I couldn’t get him turned. They looped around and eventually got back out in front of us and wouldn’t come. So I got up and eased down the ridge away from my son about 200 yds clucking and purring. Sure enough they went wide around him and to my left 30yds strutting and I had no shot. They finally eased off and I went and got him. I came up w a new plan to go to where they’d been gobbling and hung up. We did that and I only yelped a few times and just scratched the leaves. He came in slow but gobbled non stop. Was my sons first turkey and a good 1 too. 9 3/4” beard and 1 “ spurs. There was 6 birds roosted together this morning and he got to hear 100+ gobbles. Pretty sure he’s hooked now. View attachment 1218635
Woohoo! Way to go kid! I bet that thunder in the woods had y’all’s blood pumping on over drive! This is such a great story with a bunch of Epic stuff! In no particular order of importance, but
Your own 80 Acres? Woohoo!
Your sons first bird? Woohoo!
Gobbling like crazy! All the way to the gun? Woohoo!
NOT killing a bird on the first set! Y’all having to come up with a plan and work for it made it so much more sweet than a Tom just coming in to the barrel! WOOHOO!!! GETTIR DONE! :rockon:

wvdawg

Staff member
Nice job! Congrats to you both!

Hunter/Mason

He’s pumped for sure now him and his buddy are going to another spot in The morning. He said he’s just gonna do what we did. Said there’s nothing to it. He’s got it all figured out.