over and under

scat30

looking to get a yildiz over and undert to shoot skeet and maybe hunt some.the one i am looking at has a barrel selector. does the selector determine what barrel fires first and second barrel fires when you pull trigger again or do you have to select second barrel to fire. i never fired a over and under with a selector .thanks for help!!

BriarPatch99

Yes it does ... With the safety on safe ...slide the slector right or left ....
The right side shoots the bottom barrel first ....left shoots top barrel first ... no matter which you shoot first the other will shoot on second pull.

I always shoot bottom first as it is more in line with the center of the recoil pad ....
I also keep a more open choke in the bottom unless dove hunting then I keep a Skeet II in both ...

Mine is a 20 gauge and I use Trulock chokes ...made right here in South GA..

Last edited:

greg j

I bought one several years ago from Academy Sports. Very satisfied with it. When i bought it the "clerk" brought one out from the back and it had sorta plain wood on it. I asked him if i could buy the display model as it had much nicer wood and they sold it to me. It came with a set of 5 chokes and those are what i use.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Like @BriarPatch99 I like to shoot the bottom barrel first. My selector is different I think. For me it seems to make it easier for the second shot...the gun doesn't seem to rise as much. There are folks that like to shoot the top barrel first...try both to see which you like better. Just make sure you put the more open choke in the first barrel...if it were birds and you used the second barrel they would be farther away and you might need the tighter choke

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have the .410 O/U I’m very happy with my purchase. With todays ammo and a Sumtoy choke I’m good from small game to turkeys.

menhadenman

I just bought one this year and whacked a pile of pheasants. It’s a great gun for the money. I’ve got the 12 and shoot it like the posts above. Open on bottom which is first. Good luck.

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I got one in 20 gauge before dove season and hunted doves and a once in a lifetime wild quail hunt in south GA. I absolutely love that shotgun. I finally had to retire my 1918 Stevens side by side after 100 rounds of sporting clays cracked the stock and replaced it with the Yildiz OU. I shoot left handed, so it took a minute to figure out shooting the bottom barrel first worked best. Trying to slide the safety off with the bottom barrel selected was the most comfortable shooting lefty so I switched chokes out accordingly.

pacecars

I have one in 28 gauge and it is a delight to shoot. It is lightweight and has functioned flawlessly so far

jglenn

Owned a 20 for over 5 years.. primary dove gun. Zero problems.. 2 others owned by my family, also zero issues.

Get the Trulok chokes. Worth the effort

oppthepop

I have the 20 guage (well I DID have - until grandson confiscated it! :))
Flawless little gun and a great deal for the money, especially with the multiple chokes included. A dove slayer!

jglenn

That's just an excuse to buy another one